Lazy Jacks on a 1984 H27

Oct 30, 2011
Hunter Cherubini 27 Mason
One of the first projects on my TD list this spring is to install a set of Lazy Jacks. I would like to make up my own system and attach the Main support leg to the spreaders. So first question is: How high are the spreaders off the deck ? I understand that this height should be approx. 70% of the mast height. Are the spreaders up high enough for mounting them there ? Second : If I use 3 legged system what would be the optimum placement of each leg ? Good Old Boat Magazine has a good write up on how to install these, but depending on the boom length it's a trial and error job to find the optimum placement. So in order not to re-invent the wheel has anyone done this and how did it work out?
Thanks in advance Marty

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
On our Sabre 42 (which has a lot larger main than the Hunter 27), we used the Harken system. I'd recommend Dave's link above to Harken:

It's simple, it's all there (but for the line), and it is (or used to be) pretty cost effective.​

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
Here is a photo of my lazyjack attachment point, it's the dark dot on the mast up above the spreaders. To gauge it by eye while you are standing back looking at it, 70% is a little over 2/3 of the way up the mast (almost 3/4), and the spreaders are about 1/2 way up. I was a Harken lazy jack kit and I followed the instructions, more because I didn't know any better. There is discussion on the web about mounting on the spreaders to move the lazy jacks outboard and give you some clearance without having to slacken the lazy jack lines. The instructions from Sailrite about building a sailpack suggest using bungee cords attached to the shrouds to pull the lazy jack lines outward, but I didn't want to hassle with going up the mast to deal with that.
I am looking the whole slacken the lazy jack lines this spring, but with the sailpack on, that is a different thing than you have here. The DYI systems might work just as well, I was trading money up front for the time & effort spend on figuring it all out.
Hope this helps.
H27 Lazy jack attachment point.jpg

Apr 29, 2016
Hunter 27 Atwood Lake, OH
My Son and I added Lazy Jacks last year. The mast was stepped for a variety of upgrades, the time was right! We started with the Harken kit, but modified it, adding cheek block up on the mast and extended the lines up though the block and down the front of the mast. The lines were extended with additional rope not included in the kit. Two cleats were installed low on the mast to tie off the Lazy Jack lines. This way they can be retracted when sailing and also when the sail cover is on by loosening the lines at the cleat and pulling the Lazy Jack lines forward, hooking them over the reef hooks at the gooseneck and snugging up the line at the cleat. We avoided modifying the sail cover, that was a plus and if we want them out of the way while sailing they are quick to stow. My Son spotted a similar setup on another boat and suggested it. Glad he did.