Launching our sons boat.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
He owns an O'Day Outlaw which we bought for a dollar. It's a nice boat and needs cosmetics, which doesn't interest him at all(I suppose that has something to do with me,... :) ). But he does sail the dickens out of this dollar boat.

To keep the cost down, we decided to step the mast ourselves. We made an attempt last season with a borrowed gin pole. Set up to step J24 sticks, our mast was much too heavy. It's the tall rig, 31.5' and a much heavier section.

We fabricated a simple crane to mount on our harbor wall. In Maine you can usually do what you want on public lands.

I made sure the crane was fail safe. The wheel at the top (a V-belt pulley with the shoulder cut off), is housed in the 2x4 so even if it breaks, the load is held. The winch (greased and all 4 pawls checked and oiled) and the dock cleat, are through bolted thru 2 2x4s. We added stiffeners to each 16' leg.

Crane building sized (1 of 1).jpg

Testing: Tied to the truck bumper, we raised Thomas who weighs about 180. He was a load! But if you were are up to it, the crane showed no signs of failing. For a closer weight match, we hoisted Mary Jane. The dogs loved it!

Hoisting MJ sized  (1 of 1).jpg

Thomas, unbeknownst to me, took a video...

Well tested, we headed to the harbor. It worked! My daughter took this shot while tailing. The kids know the importance of winch work. We kept the guys below out of the fall zone as much as possible, just in case.

Crane MJ tailing taking pics (1 of 1).jpg

Fully hoisted, we had room to spare. But space to spare makes it easier to move the stick.
Crane fully hoisted (1 of 1).jpg

About an hour later, we had the boat rigged, sails on, and they sailed off into the rain. Crazy kids. They sent me this short vid.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Years ago, we used a tree to raise the mast on our O'Day 23. Whatever works!

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
Backyard engineering rocks. Looks like you built a nice stout mast crane, unlike me.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
The video reminds me of a time 15 years ago on a Person 30 out of booth bay, lots of laughing and hanging on for a wild ride.