Latest On Mexican Boat Holds

RECESS

Dec 20, 2003
Pearson 323 . St. Mary's Georgia
I think you are going a bit overboard. They did impound several vessels that were 100% within the law. The Government should be the one going out of their way to make it right. I would expect that out of any country. Mexico has some beautiful country side and nice people. A well run government has never been a selling point. People are made to tolerate a third world country that should be a world leader based on the natural resources, weather, and beauty.

If you think this is helping to repair a terrible world image of Mexico, it just is not. You would think the government officials would see how much they have to lose in this and go all out to make it right.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Dont you guys get it? Americans are always evil and wrong and should be punished at every opportunity. Countries not named USA are always right and we must accept their terms no matter what it looks like or smells like. We're wrong, they're right, period. Understand now?

Bazzer

Feb 4, 2009
2 Newport 30 Benica
How about hearing from someone who has actually been " impounded " ? There is a lot of hearsay but not much else. The question I would like to know the answer to is " have you had written notice that you boat has been " impounded" if not who told you it has, a government official or a marina staff member "?
Personally if there is nothing in writing then I would just leave back to my home country, or just out of Mexico.

Jul 28, 2012
Hunter 410 San Blas,Mexico
Vilifying Mexico over this situation is not the solution. The people here are wonderful, their customs, their culture. But for a rigger not finishing a re-rig on time, we would have been in the middle of the fray. As Canadian, my major concern was meeting all US entry requirements so that I could sail through US waters. I was glad a US sailor, in Canada, gave me his extra plastic sign outlining my garbage plan to be properly posted, plus what garbage goes where and an oil disposal plan courtesy of West Marine. In Canada, I would never consider a posting garbage plan; it's simyply common sense that you don't pollute. Who needs a sign? What's a sign going to do? It's just compliance with the law. I could not imagine being fined or my boat seized for not having a garbage plan sign, but it's US law, no judgement on my part. I have the required three signs, destroys the interior design, but what the heck!

To further stir the pot, I know that US boats in the Newport to Ensenada race in the past have sailed into and out of Mexican waters without checking in. If you think that the Mexican tax boys were zealous, try that in US waters or Canadian for that matter.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Vilifying Mexico over this situation is not the solution. The people here are wonderful, their customs, their culture. But for a rigger not finishing a re-rig on time, we would have been in the middle of the fray. As Canadian, my major concern was meeting all US entry requirements so that I could sail through US waters. I was glad a US sailor, in Canada, gave me his extra plastic sign outlining my garbage plan to be properly posted, plus what garbage goes where and an oil disposal plan courtesy of West Marine. In Canada, I would never consider a posting garbage plan; it's simyply common sense that you don't pollute. Who needs a sign? What's a sign going to do? It's just compliance with the law. I could not imagine being fined or my boat seized for not having a garbage plan sign, but it's US law, no judgement on my part. I have the required three signs, destroys the interior design, but what the heck!

To further stir the pot, I know that US boats in the Newport to Ensenada race in the past have sailed into and out of Mexican waters without checking in. If you think that the Mexican tax boys were zealous, try that in US waters or Canadian for that matter.
Rahrerr!

(I do agree)

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Newport to Ensenada Race

Actually, checking in and out is done en masse by the race committee and the verification of the vessel and master is the responsibility of the dock master in the marina. The process is only good for 72 hours however; if a boat wishes to remain longer, they must do the formal check in and out. Also, on the US side, there is a special expedited reentry form and process as well. In both cases, the government entities are spared a bunch of repetitive actions, staff and paper.

Dec 5, 2018
South Bay 26 Fox River
I know this is an old post but I am hoping those who posted previously might see this and be able to help. My husband, Brandon Hards, is the son of “Pelican” John Hards and they have not been in touch in close to 30 years. We are hoping to locate John in attempt to reunite them but general online searches for address and phone are not returning solid leads. We don’t really know if he is still living aboard his boat, if he is in the States, or really much at all, but thought this might be a shot in the dark of finding him. If anyone has contact with him and can pass it along that his son is trying to contact him, we would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time.
Heather