Last minute advice before launching for the first time.

jhogle

Sep 16, 2016
Catalina 22 Topeka
If I get lucky with the weather, I might get to launch my C22 for the first time this weekend. I was just wondering if there was anything in particular I should look out for when launching / sailing it for the first time.

Particularly:

When disconnecting the boat on the ramp to pull out the tongue extension, are wheel chocks enough to safely keep the boat from rolling back? Are there any other measures I should take to keep the trailer in place?

What wind speeds should I look to go out in as a beginner sailor with about one summers worth of racing experience?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Can't help you with the trailer issue. With regard to wind, more info on your experience might help us. How much had you sailed before the month of racing? Or did you learn to sail by racing? Do you have significant helm time, or were you crew on someone else's boat? The former involves a lot more decision making than the later. Have you had a beginner's sailing class?

Without a lot of knowledge about you, I would suggest that something under 10-12 knots would be good. You don't want the breeze too light, or you really don't learn much, but on day one of a new (?) boat you don't want it blowing like stink either.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Assuming the ramp is inclined, I don't think you'll want to disconnect the trailer from the hitch there even with chocks. My guess is the boat and trailer will want to tip backwards. That would be bad for the rudder and outboard

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have decades of experience with sailing dinghies that have retracting centerboards, and know full well how little control you have without the daggerboard/centerboard down.

But... I had expected the keel on a c22 to give more control even when up, because it sticks out of the hull so much.
I launched on a fairly windy day, sheltered behind a breakwater, and ended up being pushed sideways a lot easier than I expected.
I had to get the keel down much earlier than I planned, which made for a bit of a scramble.
I had hoped to lower it at the dock 200 ft from the ramp, here it was deep enough to fully lower the keel, but I ended up lowering it part way, to give me helm/steering control.
Lighter winds, and a larger launch ramp area, will help give you time to get a feel for what the boat will do, without the risk of bashing into things.

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
For Launching I generally

1. Unstrap the boat from the trailer, raise mast, etc…

2. On the flat before the ramp incline chock wheels front and back, unplug the lights, and disconnect the break line if needed

3. Pull out extension (front and back chocks are because I usually miss the pin holes the first time and have to back up)

4. Have dock lines attached to the boat and fenders on the correct side

5. Do a final walk around making sure I have everything set up the way I want

6. If your launching alone attach a long length of line (50-100 feet) to the bow and leave it loose in the back of the Pick up so that it can pay out after the boat is launched so you can grab it while walking toward the dock to tie everything off

7. Back down the ramp until the boat is just about in the water and then stop and disconnect the wench (there will be debate on this one) while your feet are still dry

8. Back in with a smooth motion tapping breaks firmly once trailer is all the way in to release the boat

9. Reach for the long line that is paying out of the pick up bed and walk it onto the dock to tie up.

Launching is something you have to do often to be good at. Don’t try to look like a pro on your first time just take it easy and go at a pace you’re comfortable with. As you do it more it will get faster and as always wind speed, direction, ramp incline, etc… are all variables that will come into play. However the most important thing is to stay calm and enjoy the day!

Oh and one last thing depending on your trailer you may have to put the rudder on once your launched. If you have a fixed blade one like I do it can be tight on clearance between the ground and the rudder at the ramp.

jhogle

Sep 16, 2016
Catalina 22 Topeka
Can't help you with the trailer issue. With regard to wind, more info on your experience might help us. How much had you sailed before the month of racing? Or did you learn to sail by racing? Do you have significant helm time, or were you crew on someone else's boat?
Most of my experience is through racing, where I worked fore deck on a J70. I have done a few tacks on the J70, but otherwise I haven't really been at the helm. I have taken a couple beginners classes where I got some helm time. I would guess that I probably only have about 1-2 hours of actual time on the helm though.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
With regard to max wind speed for you to depart, that's up to you, skipper.

How about 15 knots? Fine. Oh, and 30 knots are predicted...not so fine. Or 15 knots, and 15 predicted, but approach to the launch ramp from water is very restricted and there is heavy traffic? As has already been mentioned, there are too many variables to pick a number.

Among the skills a sailor has to develop, is the ability to assess weather and determine whether their skills are sufficient to ensure safety of boat and crew. I like what pilots say: There a old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots. Be prepared to turn around and go home if you're not sure. Or, bring a book, and relax at the launch site, keep checking the weather report, and the weather at the launch ramp.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Don't forget to crank black up and secure the support wheel after extending the tongue. Don't ask me why that pops to mind.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I'd say go out in no or low wind and don't even try to put your sails up until your get very comfortable with your boat, your motor, and how they work together. As launching, don't be afraid to ask people nearby for help.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
What wind speeds should I look to go out in as a beginner sailor with about one summers worth of racing experience?

Just my 2 cents
If the wind is above what I'm comfortable with, I'll just sail with the jib. I'll keep the main wrapped up in the main sail cover. I spent 2 days sailing last year and never used the main.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Not much plumbing on a 22' trailerable sailboat, so I don't have enough experience with 'em to know whether they have drain plugs in the aft end of the bottom, same as small trailerable powerboats do. If so, you always want to make sure the plug is in before launching.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Make sure you have a VHF and/or a cell phone in case you get into trouble, your motor quits etc. Someone should know you are out there. PFDs on board, etc. Common sense stuff you probably already know.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
  • You're probably over-advised by now but: As Peggy said check that drain plug. You don't have to be a newbie to forget that one. Also don't forget to remove the tie down strap. Yes, I've a la done that. If there's another ramp user tapping their foot you tend to rush and make mistakes. Go sometime no one is around and stick to your pace. I also endorse little or no wind a la jwing. The experience is to launch the boat, rig it and the reverse. Sailing is the easy part. Oh, and wear a bathing suit - you're going to get wet.

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
My 2 cents of advice from yesterdays first sail of the year: trailer wheel chocks: Yes! Not only to keep the boat from rolling down the ramp and sometimes you need to put something in front of the tires just to get the trailer tongue extension out of the tube after it has sat rusting away for a criminally long time. Don't forget to unplug your trailer lights before you hit the water or extend the trailer tongue. When you've backed your boat into the water but it hasn't left the trailer yet, fire your outboard motor up and leave it idling BEFORE you unhook the trailer winch. PS: Nothing bad happened yesterday except that the wind didn't cooperate with the weather forecast and my guests were rather ill prepared for time on the water. It was a short trip for all involved.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
fire your outboard motor up and leave it idling BEFORE you unhook the trailer winch
+1 Great Point @ShotgunSlim !

I'm surprised that everyone else missed such an obvious suggestion, that all non-beginners do when launching boats.
You sure as heck do not want to get blown around the launch area/marina without a way to control yourself, when you discover the motor won't start and you just floated away from the trailer.

I quickly test start the motor before I back down the ramp. That way I minimize time on the ramp.
Since there is no cooling water, I only run it long enough to confirm it will start when needed.
It's a PITA, to you and other people waiting to use the ramp, if you find it's won't start, right when the boat is floating and ready to be unhooked from the winch.