Laptops used as chart plotters

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary

Jun 5, 2004
- - Sally Rose
I am sure this has been discussed over and over, but I had no luck searching the archives. I would like to hear from those of you who use a laptop (with the appropriate software) for a chart plotter. Or maybe someone can point me to the thread in the archives.

Thanx in advance ...... Gary

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
In 2007, which is ancient history by now, I used this laptop with a hockey puck(GPS) and Fugawi software as a backup. Fugawi because it displays the freebie NOAA charts.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Why Buy a Plotter?

For me navigation is more about passage planning than just following a string of waypoints. Making decisions about best routes and when to depart to get the best out of the tides and avoiding getting stuck in 'tidal gates' off headlands etc.
As a result I need my charting instrument at the nav table where I can do my 'proper' navigation rather than do it on the hoof at the helm where there is hardly any space for it anyway what with radar too!

In 1995 this concept opened up the opportunity to use my laptop as my main navigation tool. I have never looked back, never owned a chart plotter and really cannot understand why anyone would choose one.

Before making any voyage, however small, I plan the route (as has been the legal requirement to do this for the last five years or so) and commit it to the hard drive. Over the years I now have hundreds of routes on disk.
I see it this way:-

• Can do most of the planning at home, selecting cruises for days ahead, optimising and then just storing them until needed - even in years to come.
  • Storage of unlimited numbers of Waypoints - all properly named by keyboard - all in deep water and that I have used before so I KNOW they are good.
  • Storage of unlimited numbers of Routes - all properly named etc.
  • Ability to predict arrival time by entering anticipated boat speed for each leg. Computer takes care of tidal stream effects.
  • Decent sized 15" screen rather than the tiny 10" and 12" apologies from Raymarine et al for which they charge three times the price of a laptop.
  • SeaPro uses live tidal data to calculate best departure time and arrival time and applies this to both course and ETA for every leg. It may be the only computer prog to do this and AKAIK none of the plotters can do this.
  • New Routes are so easily constructed from existing Waypoint database (mine now holds hundreds - all guaranteed).
  • Programme shows daily and hourly tide graphs for all primary and secondary ports world wide.
  • Programme drives autopilot (if required).
  • Programme shows AIS positions of other vessels.
  • Prog flags up banner warnings and sounds alarms when any other vessel's vector crosses my vector within a chosen distance (I use 1 mile when out of pilotage waters).
  • Prog shows CPA and TCPA banner tables of ONLY those AIS vessels that will come within my guard zone within a set time or distance (so it doesn't alert for anything with a CPA of 1 mile and TCPA of less than, say, 30 minutes).
  • Can present GRIB weather files.
  • Can show radar overlay.
  • Can display engine and every instrument on board in a sidebar.
  • Fully flexible allowing positioning of data boxes anywhere on screen. i.e. Because it runs on Windows.
  • Everybody is now familiar with Laptops and Windows, even guests - not so with plotters for which there is still no common standard.
  • I have WIFI and Internet connections wherever I go.
  • Can play DVDs, CDs and all usual computer entertainment, TV and e-mail functions. (I would carry the laptop just for these anyway).
  • Obsolescence proofed - a new laptop is vastly cheaper than a new chart plotter. And you would probably buy one anyway.
  • No limitations on processing power.
  • I could go on!
I know plotters can do much of the above BUT NOT ALL.
Only recently has Raymarine introduced a proper computer into its box. The 'C' series (and later) uses Linux (because Bill Gates charges for Windows), but even now you don't get a proper keyboard. Instead they supply a box with great big buttons - all labelled differently from a computer.
I guess if they allowed computing terminology it would be an admission that computers are the way to go.

Originally my employer kindly provided me with a laptop for my job so it was easy to take it with me when I sailed. It was upgraded regularly too and for free!

Mouse operation causes no problems at sea. Don't use touch pad or touch screen because originally one stroke with a damp salty finger drove the cursor mad.
I locate the laptop on my nav table with "today's" chart underneath. Should I have a computer problem the correct chart is already in place. But I have never needed it in 16 years.

For the last 16 years the computer has been retained by nothing more than a piece of that orange polypropylene 1/16" diameter string the kids use for crabbing or fishing. It is tied to a small screw on one side of the nav table, passes across the upright screen at the hinge of the PC and a slip noose goes over a second screw on the other side. I have used a succession of computers and never has one come adrift or been damaged by shock or water.
The cost of a computer prog plus charts plus modest 15" laptop is still a fraction of the cost of a similar sized chart plotter and I really do wonder why people don't take advantage of the scale of computer production yet still buy plotters which are short on computing power, slow, hard to handle, not obsolescence proofed and don't do anything else.
Only problems are that the display is below deck but a pal has his blue toothed to a water resistant cockpit display and uses a radio mouse. He gets the best of both worlds.

Before stumping up for a plotter - think hard.

Photos:- 'String in Hinge' and 65 mile trip from UK to France allowing for tidal streams. 'Direct' route is in Blue (Longest by GPS) and 'Constant Heading' route (Shortest) in Yellow. Note tide changes just before we get to France. XTE is more than 5 miles.

Attachments

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
C-80

Best thing I ever did when ordering C-80 chartplotter on my H-36,best part having the chartplotter at the helm while sailing or motoring and can see location with radar and all info at any passage.
And yes can also do all chart planning at home or at the nav station adding any waypoints or any info on the chartplotter with my laptop at any time.
I feel so much safer with the plotter permanently mounted when the weather gets bad and also weather reports from XM on my plotter,but that is just me.
When sailing down the keys and hawk channel for the first time I was able to add or ajust any waypoints while sailing if change anything and like I said I will never go with out a chartplotter at the helm.
Nick

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
But if the guys above didnt sell ya on a chartplotter, here is some very reliable freeware for your laptop. SeaclearII. You get the maps from NOAA. I have used it for years on laptop which I use as a backup chartplotter. You will need a gps antenna. If memory serves, I have the garmin 18 gps antenna. Plugs via USB. You will need to download the spanner software from garmin to make it talk.
http://www.sping.com/seaclear/

Juts follow the instructions

MABell

Dec 9, 2003
Hunter 26 Orygun
ChartPlotters, Laptops and Andriod

I use a chartplotter in the cockpit as a laptop will never do in an open cockpit. I do use a laptop in the cabin for planning (not to the extent of Donalex however). Fugawi is a great piece of software, but because I’m cheap and this isn’t the primary source of navigation, I use SeaClear. It’s free. The charts are free (for the U.S.). The only problem being the Garmin GPS antennae is a USB. If (any) software is expecting to find the antennae as a COM port, you have to use a driver from Garmin called Spanner. That tricks the software into thinking the USB is a COM port. That all works well, except when you get a new laptop with Windows 7 and Spanner does not work under W7. At least I couldn’t get it to work. Last Summer, I ended up dragging out the old laptop to take – and it lasted most of the way through the trip. Next Summer will have to be a different story. Lastly, I installed Navionics on my android phone. That turned out to be very helpful for quick references. And a navigation application with charts of the west coast including Canada for $15!!! You can’t go wrong.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Laptop

I just have a big problem using a laptop in the cockpit even on a nice calm sunny day no wind no waves and sunny day makes it hard to see,shit happens.
I know chartplotters cost $$$$$ but I have the C-80 and no matter what I would get some kind of chartplotter with a decent size screen and even though my wife and I both have laptops on the boat during long cruises and a 76CX garmin I have never needed them for backup,I do play with all my backups at home and have used the laptop while at anchor at night I love having my C-80 at the helm when the weather gets nasty and it works great and it's there when I really need the info at the helm in nasty weather or when in unfamiliar waters it the chartplotter is right infront of me with all the important info of the chart and or radar,I just can't imagine my boat tossing around and glued to the wheel and trying to check a laptop for info,but that is just me and I am sure backup laptop with those free software is so much cheaper.
Nick

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
My initial rqmt was having radar in the PNW as fog can really get ya. Then I thought that if I have to have a display, start out with a plotter and then interface a radar to that. I think it's very important to be able to use at the helm especially with no AP. I've never seen the logic to putting a plotter/radar below. Since I really don't like going through the trials/tribulations of free stuff and computers with associated installation and usage issues I'm still thinking a plotter/radar especially with plans to go to AK. I don't want to have to hassle with USB, comm ports, etc etc. And then when Windows changes something will not be compatible. (I'm slowly migrating to Apple) One reason to go sailing is to get rid of that stuff. I'm currently looking at RayMarine's E7D. It also has its own WiFi so I can use an ipad down below and everything syncs up.

Apr 22, 2001
Hunter 420 Norfolk, VA
Why Buy a Plotter?

I am totally and completely in the Donalex "camp" ...for all the reasons and arguments he gives .. except ...
- I have been using an even more inexpensive desktop ( which can be replaced, upgraded, and even keep a second, spare onboard) at my Nav Station for the past 10 years, instead of a laptop.... running it off of the inverter.
- I have a 20" flatscreen HDTV monitor mounted in the (enclosed) cockpit, fed by splitting the video "out" from the computer down below. I can see the (much larger) display from anywhere in the cockpit and do not HAVE TO stand behind the wheel to see the screen. In fact, I often sit to the side of the cockpit in front of the monitor and steer the boat w/ the autopilot remote while cruising.... (in addition to using it down below).

I do understand that this arrangement doesn't work for many boats.
W/O a full (or nearly full) enclosure, a cockpit monitor would be impractical (especially offshore), except in calm weather.
And, many boats aren't set up to accommodate such an arrangement.

As always, ... "whatever floats your boat". Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but, like Donalex, I prefer to have a versatile computer instead of an expensive (Raymarine type) chartplotter.

Furthermore, with the advent of the I-Pad and inexpensive associated "App"
software, IMHO, the future of onboard "chartplotters" will be an I-Pad, or similar tablet, mounted in the cockpit... and easily removed if/when necessary. ...
Less expensive, FAR more versatile, and can/will be "bluetoothed" to other devices.... Indeed, If I were Raymarine, I'd be worried about loosing a "cash cow" as people realize that they don't need to spend $$$$ on C-, E-, , etc dedicated chartplotters.

Ed A

Sep 27, 2008
Hunter 37c Tampa
I have both,

I have a raymarine c-80 with radar and weather.
i have a lap top with sea clear.
i have a lap top with chart navigator pro.

my response to all this is Yes.

I love the c80 at the wheel. shows wind direction and all functions on one screen. will overlay radar.

I love the Chart Nav pro. great system very serious program with losts of neat options.

I like sea clear also. works well just not as flexable as chp.

I use a Deleo puck gps for the laptop for both programs works great taped to a window in the cabin. easy to plan with make up routes keep records as well as email. So i think your all right on most points.

I deliver boats so the laptops are real handy for planning and going to anothers boat. or to take hope and study your charts.

Fun Stuff.
just got a navonics app downloaded on my cell phone that works very well also as long as i have phone coverage.

Ducati

Nov 19, 2008
Boatless Boatless Annapolis
I have a Macbook with a USB plug-in GPS loaded with charts and MacEnc software. As a backup there is the handheld Garmin 72. We cannot view the laptop outside in direct sunlight so that is my only issue. For us this works and the total cost for the software, charts and gps was around $300.00 It's not a Raymarine C80 chartplotter but for now this suits our basic navigation requirements.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I use both. My system has been in place for 9 years, so my technology is somewhat outdated and I am looking to replace the whole system in a few years. I have an RC70 Raymarine chartplotter with radar and sonar. I have a laptop running Windows XP with Raynav software. The Raynave software iwill show the Cmap charts from the chartplotter and overlay radar. If I had AIS, it would also overlay that on the laptop, but my older Chartplotter is not compatible with AIS. I get grib files off the internet and they are useable on the laptop.

The new Raymarine unit with Wi-fi that interfaces with an IPad is what I would upgrade to if I were changing out today. I will also have to change out my radar for digital and also my sonar, so it is a major upgrade as well as wiring change.

When I go offshore with friends in a boat other than my own, I carry my laptop with a gps puck. It works good as a chartplotter and I am confident of my waypoints and routes. I pre-plan them at home.

Attachments

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,
When you're on your boat how do you power the laptop. We had ours along and I was worried to plug it into an outlet since I'm not sure how the current from the generator or inverter would affect it. I just know a little about the energy wave form and suspect it could fry a laptop charger and/or battery.
As for planning, I still use paper charts and guide books.
All U Get

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I use a 12 volt adapter from the cigar lighter.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
We use our 1998 Freedom 15 inverter / charger output, modified sine wave, no problems. The inverter is wired into the entire boat A.C. power system, we just plug it in.

Dec 16, 2006
Hunter 25.5 Cayuga Lake, NY
On my Dell D630 I use a 12V adapter also, which is basically a small inverter. I loaded SeaClearII just last week and have been playing around with charts from NOAA, there is a learning curve getting the charts to work. As far as the antenna, I plugged in my old Magellan hand held GPS via the 9-pin connection. Set the output per SeaClear and it works great. Already started plotting my spring trip up the Hudson and thru the Erie Canal. Between this set-up and Google maps I feel much better already about the navigating part of the voyage.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
I run my Dell directly from the ships mains. No Inverter is needed even though the voltage on the wall wart says 19 volts. The reason they want 19 volts is to fast charge the battery. If all you want to do is run the computer (and let the battery charge fall to 75%) then just tap into the straight 12 volts via a cigarette lighter. I hard wired a plug to the instruments circuit breaker while wiring the NMEA connection for the serial port. If you check your battery you will see that, at least Dell, uses a 12 volt one.

I'm of the opinion that it makes no sense to have the batteries run an inverter that runs another inverter that powers the computer just so you can have a full battery.

Aug 1, 2010
Oyster 53 Portland, Oregon
Ipad

Rather than replacing my aging Raytheon chartplotter with an expensive $5000 plus unit, I've been using my iPad along with iNav app, which I purchased for about $50. The system works great and includes all US and Canadian coastal charts. I also purchased an ipad mount for the helm station for around $30. The app also displays speed, heading and current location all based on GPS. The ipad must have GPS capability for the system to work. I continue to use the aged Raytheon for radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.