Knife

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Don't forget to dummy cord it to you person.
Also I've not found that lobster pots are that big a deal IF you KEEP A LOOKOUT! We run over crab pots all the time in the bay with no snagging. Taking them on the down current side helps also.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Spyderco H1 SALT
Probably the best Sailing rescue knife in the world. Locking. One handed open. Ambidextrous . Blunt tip. And the nonrusting stainless steel blade is deadly against all rope, no matter how high tech.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
Spyderco H1 SALT
Probably the best Sailing rescue knife in the world. Locking. One handed open. Ambidextrous . Blunt tip. And the nonrusting stainless steel blade is deadly against all rope, no matter how high tech.

what good is it if it doesn't have a bottle opener?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
^ That's the "Atlantic" model. They have others in the "Salt" line, a Pacific, an Assist, an Aqua, etc., all made with H1 steel. Comes is a plain blade version also. Nice knife. Model SP-C89SYL. (I don't sell them, or have any connection to the company. I'm just a Spyderco fan.)

Dec 16, 2008
Pearson 422 FL & CT
what good is it if it doesn't have a bottle opener?
Well, anyone that can't open a bottle with the back of the knife blade, or the handle or a screw driver, or claw hammer or the edge of a table (NO, not the dining room table, your wife will kill you), or any other blunt object deserves to go thirsty. :D

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
If you're going swimming where there are a lot of lobster pots you may want a wetsuit and gloves along with your diving mask. The water will not likely be too warm.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Strong and sharp, but cheap. If you use it, you'll lose it. It's a tool, not art.

It's not like you can use a lanyard when you are cutting lines loose from the prop. Snag the lanyard around the prop and you die. I rather drop a cheap knife (which I have not) and get a new one.

scoob

Dec 9, 2016
Sage, Montgomery 17, 15, SageCat and 17 Denver
You want a Spyderco SALT with a serrated edge. the H1 blades are nitrogen based and will never rust or tarnish (the other knives mentioned in this discussion WILL rust). the serrated blade has excellent edge retention. The knife is one-hand open even with gloves and cold hands.

A Spyderco Pacific SALT is the blade on my PFD with a second in my pocket. All boats taking part in Race To Alaska have one on-board in addition to America's Cup Team Oracle.

Spydercos that have a blunter tip is the Saver Salt, Assist Salt and Atlantic Salt.

A nice one that is new is the Snap-It SALT with an integrated carabiner clip.

I prefer the option of the yellow handle ... stands out so knife easy to find!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Strong and sharp, but cheap. If you use it, you'll lose it. It's a tool, not art.

It's not like you can use a lanyard when you are cutting lines loose from the prop. Snag the lanyard around the prop and you die. I rather drop a cheap knife (which I have not) and get a new one.
Valid point. Happily I have a habit of not loosing nice things (not sure how), so I don't mind the $90 for the SALT. But if you want to go lower cost, Spyderco has a brand of knifes they design and sell but are made in china. Called BYRD, I have one of these Meadowlarks and it is a very nice knife for 20 bucks. Its the knife I take when flying to races, I'd hate to donate a Spyderco to the TSA.

byrd.jpg

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
You FOUND IT ! I was wondering where I lost it. Would you send it back to me, please?
I can make it available where I found it: Lavang Village, a few clicks south of Quang Tri. Let me know when you'd like to pick it up there.

scoob

Dec 9, 2016
... but cheap. If you use it, you'll lose it. It's a tool
a cheap knife will not work ... you want you tool to be sharp and work in an emergency.

loosing one ... that happens ... why i carry two.

scoob

Dec 9, 2016
Called BYRD, I have one of these Meadowlarks and it is a very nice knife for 20 bucks. Its the knife I take when flying to races,
BYRD line is nice ... the blade setups have the same engineering as the Spyderco branded knifes. Can't get a BYRD with an H1 blade.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I can make it available where I found it: Lavang Village, a few clicks south of Quang Tri. Let me know when you'd like to pick it up there.
BTW, yesterday was VietNam veterans day. Not much more recognition than back then. Semper Fi

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
A boating-themed B&W movie you might catch on TCM, but you can buy it there.. "A Knife in the Water" . IIRC the only film Roman Polanski made in Poland.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
a cheap knife will not work ... you want you tool to be sharp and work in an emergency.

loosing one ... that happens ... why i carry two.
Baloney. There are good fixed blade knives that hold an edge for a lot less than the $50-100 folks are talking here. A sharp edge is a matter of maintenance.

But the real point I was trying to make (I do have a nicer folding knife--in part I was joking!) is that you need a cheaper knife that you can lose, because I am strongly anti-lanyard when swimming under the boat. I've heard stories, and I got a lanyard lightly caught myself once and learned the lesson. They are unsafe around the prop or rudder, primarily because the boat is

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Nice knife, and I agree for $20 even I could afford to lose it overboard. If only it had a blunt / sheepsfoot tip. Those pointy things scare me on a rolling boat (or under).