Knife

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
Just was reading an article from Active Captain about lobster pots and the problem with the lines and the props.

What type and brand of knife should I consider keeping on board to deal with cutting them off as well as general use?

Thanks.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
A sharp one. One that will cut swiftly through rope. It is always good to keep a diving mask aboard. After cutting the line make sure you inspect the shaft, packing gland for any water intrusion.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Sharp is the key. Also a smallish blade because there isn't a lot of room between the skeg and prop. Last time I had to dive under the boat we rigged a line under the stern from side to side so I had something to grab on to while under the boat. My wife had a brand new knife for cooking that was razor sharp. Did the trick in 3 dives under the boat.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Gloucester, VA
I used a sharp serrated steak knife with a thin blade. Worked great the couple of times I had to use it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Sharp is the key. Also a smallish blade because there isn't a lot of room between the skeg and prop. Last time I had to dive under the boat we rigged a line under the stern from side to side so I had something to grab on to while under the boat. My wife had a brand new knife for cooking that was razor sharp. Did the trick in 3 dives under the boat.
Did she know you used it? :eek:

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
I found this Camillus stainless knife in Vietnam more than 50 years ago. It served me well then and continues to serve well on my boat now.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I found this Camillus stainless knife in Vietnam more than 50 years ago. It served me well then and continues to serve well on my boat now.
I had the same one. We called them "TL's" in the Marines but I can't remember what it stood for.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Looks like a real good quality folding knife, but for cutting line wrapped around the prop a simple fixed blade knife with a sharp blade and a good handle will be best.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
If you are going to use a folding knife I think it should lock. +1 on serrations.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
What type and brand of knife should I consider keeping on board to deal with cutting them off as well as general use?
Every boater should have a knife from the family of "Emergency Rescue Knives" these are a range of professional duty multipurpose tactical tools. They are generally characterized by being fixed-blade, stout, large grip, serrated with hook knife end, and lanyard eye. Alloy and SS blade mark them as marine-ready. Typically sold with a hard case that is corrosion proof. Good for everything from cutting away an anchor line, clearing a prop, or a dive knife. I like the Italian stuff.

A fixed-blade Gerber River Shorty has lived on my PFD belt for years, compact, unobtrusive, and more than up to the job of freeing a fouled line.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
In the few times I have had to use a knife in the water (scary), I was mainly troubled by holding on to the thing. As a result, I'm saving up for a good dive knife with a blunt or sheepsfoot tip. Currently, I have an old Myerchin at the helm, but it's folding so the handle is not a robust as I would like.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
I like using a hacksaw for cutting fouled lines, very fast when the line is under tension. +1 on a dive knife, these typically have both straight and serrated sections and you can get them in titanium for corrosion resistance for 30 or 40 bucks.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I use a Camillus Carbonitride Titanium Folding Knife with G10 Handle and Marlin Spike, 6.5-Inch. Sharpest thing I've ever owned and the Marlin Spike is a major bonus for untying stubborn or incorrect knots.

Camillus Titanium.jpg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Warren Milberg said:
I found this Camillus stainless knife in Vietnam more than 50 years ago. .
You FOUND IT ! I was wondering where I lost it. Would you send it back to me, please?