Kiwi Anti-Skid Paint

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hey Everyone!
I am in the process of finishing my exterior teak and rebedding all the hardware. I am also planning on installing some turning blocks. Since I have the decks clear, I thought I would paint the anti-skid areas of the boat to make everything look clean and new. I noticed when reading the instructions, I am not supposed to reinstall the hardware over the newly painted surfaces. I guess that I am supposed to mask off these areas and then paint or reinstall the hardware and then paint. I am not sure which will be easier. Either way is a little more work than I anticipated (again - always!) and the end result will not be a clean as I was envisioning.
Any thoughts on how I should proceed?
Thanks!
Kevin

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It's not that big a deal to mask off the fittings... or spot sand the areas under the fittings. Honestly. I redid my decks last summer with Kiwi grip and added some cleats, fairleads, and new stanchion bases over it... not a problem... just provide plenty of sealant and a stable base. If you want you can trace around the new fitting and scrape off the kiwi grip down to the bare deck. Be sure you actually cut through the trace line or it will rip. But if it does you can just dab over the bare spots... Kiwi can be a bit messy, but it is pretty forgiving.... clean splatters on wood right away...

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I had my decks cleared when I did Kiwi Grip, it made it easier to mask everything off. I left the 'landing' areas of hardware clear of non-skid, they had already been painted with Brightsides. Like Joe said, there is no problem rolling Kiwi Grip under hardware (when removed of course), I would recommend butyl tape to bed in that case. Honestly I'd go ahead and remove all the hardware for two reasons... the bedding may be shot anyway, best time to refresh & why not over-drill and epoxy pot all the hardware holes? Nice to be sure a leak won't damage the core.
Lesson learned: Roll as slow as possible to prevent slings and Mask more than you think you need to. I masked the entire deck with brown paper and blue tape, but I should have masked the entire cabin. I got a few slings of small drops and like Joe said, wiped away immediately... but, I notice that the kiwi grip immediately yellowed my paint. Not sure how it would effect gelcoat.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I currently have all the hardware off. I have also over-drilled and epoxied the hardware holes. Sounds like I should mask off the "landing areas" of the hardware, but might be able to get away without doing that if I use butyl tape. I was planning on using butyl tape to re-bed everything. This might work out like I was planning, for a change....

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I currently have all the hardware off. I have also over-drilled and epoxied the hardware holes .... I was planning on using butyl tape to re-bed everything...
Hats off to you, well done.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I did KiwiGrip last summer on my H27's deck. I removed the teak handrails, rolled on the Kiwi-Grip and bedded them with butyl. I found that masking off a fitting is way beyond my artistic abilities. The butyl made a nice seal over the KiwiGrip.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I did KiwiGrip last summer on my H27's deck. I removed the teak handrails, rolled on the Kiwi-Grip and bedded them with butyl. I found that masking off a fitting is way beyond my artistic abilities. The butyl made a nice seal over the KiwiGrip.
That seals the deal! I am going to apply the Kiwi Grip and then rebed everything with butyl tape. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
As you roll on the Kiwi-Grip, peaks will be formed that create the non-skid feature. It's best to flatten the peaks in the areas where the hardware will go,,, easier than trying to sand them flat after drying.