Kites and cameras

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Here's a quick piece of video showing the top down furler on the 270. It was shot with the "sailcam" on our neighbours Hunter. All of the hardware for the sprit, mast crane, top down assembly and fittings were crafted in house, with the exception of the Selden ring on the bow.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Looks like you were outpacing your neighbour pretty handily too. Hope you had a good Canada Day, and here's to the 2017 sailing season.
IIRC, last year was a bit of a rout?

Aug 1, 2011
Last year was pretty much a write off. Some of the folks in the east aren't even in the water yet, so while we've not had great weather thus far, I'm not complaining.

Feb 20, 2011
I'm wondering about a top-down furler for the A spin on the new boat myself. Do you think that would be lighter than the snuffer sock it came with?
Oof!

Aug 1, 2011
I don't think it's so much about lighter. The sock requires a trip to the mast. You can't effectively raise or lower it with the sheet through a winch at the back. While some would argue it, the sock almost requires two people.
The top down furler, on the other hand, has more hardware, but provides a better degree of comfort, with the knowledge that you can put it away, right now, without needing to go forward.
Having had both, I found this kite to be in the lake a lot with the sock, and there was always a few minutes of messiness while the sheet got sorted out. With the furler, it's really fast.

Feb 20, 2011
I found this kite to be in the lake a lot with the sock, and there was always a few minutes of messiness while the sheet got sorted out. With the furler, it's really fast.
Yah, there's that. I've only dealt with the small-ish sock on the Mac, and the messes that could come out of that bag required some fiddlin'. I have sometimes raised and lowered it a few times to sort out the twists, sheets, tack line and parrels. One thing good about the new sock is its totally enclosed uphaul and downhaul control lines, so at least there'll be no more "step-throughs" of the sock and control lines. Those were hell!
Thanks!

Aug 1, 2011
The sock I got for the creamsicle kite had the halyards enclosed, but you're right, things tended to get twisted inside somehow.

Feb 20, 2011
The sock I got for the creamsicle kite had the halyards enclosed, but you're right, things tended to get twisted inside somehow.
Mistakes will be made. I allowed my wife to sleep next to my spin bag. :laugh: