Kickup Rudder Pulley

Apr 18, 2014
Hunter 23 prairie creek reservoir
I bought a 85 Hunter 23 at the end of the season last year and only now have I learned what's wrong with her.

While prepping the fiberglass rudder for "Never Wet" superhydrophobic 2 part spray, I found out that my Harken pulley inside the black box that connects the rudder to the tiller has broken. Where do I find another pulley? And what rudder rope is suggested because mine has wore out from all the hurkin and jerkin done from the bad pulley.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
For the record, the 23.5 water ballast was first introduced internationally on August 15, 1991 by me. YOu either are referring to the 23 wing keel or the 22 as they were available at that time. A photo would be most suggested so we on the forum can help you better instead of guessing.

Apr 18, 2014
I bought a 85 Hunter 23 at the end of the season last year and only now have I learned what's wrong with her.

While prepping the fiberglass rudder for "Never Wet" superhydrophobic 2 part spray, I found out that my Harken pulley inside the black box that connects the rudder to the tiller has broken. Where do I find another pulley? And what rudder rope is suggested because mine has wore out from all the hurkin and jerkin done from the bad pulley.

Thanks,
Mark
Hello,

Thanks for returning my post. I gave the wrong spec. it is a 85 Hunter 23 pinion box.
I found a hunter 23 rudder drawing here: http://www.mrunix.net/h23/docs/hunter-rudder.jpg

It sort of looks like a Sash Window casement Pulley. Does this help?

This Harken pulley has broken and the line no longer functions and I need a new one before I can get her back into the water.

Regards,
Mark

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Mark;

First a little terminology. The line referenced is a hold down rudder
line for ease of knowledge. The line then goes thru a fixed base halyard block attached to the rudder housing and then thru the cam cleat to lock down the rudder in the down position. If my memory serves me, that was a Schaeffer block.

I would suggest that you contact this site's store to see if they can reference that block and sell you one. They are good as they handle the parts for Hunter. In addition, you will find additional information on the 23 wing keel un boat information and then reference the 23.

crazy dave condon, former small boat dealer

Apr 18, 2014
Mark;

First a little terminology. The line referenced is a hold down rudder
line for ease of knowledge. The line then goes thru a fixed base halyard block attached to the rudder housing and then thru the cam cleat to lock down the rudder in the down position. If my memory serves me, that was a Schaeffer block.

I would suggest that you contact this site's store to see if they can reference that block and sell you one. They are good as they handle the parts for Hunter. In addition, you will find additional information on the 23 wing keel un boat information and then reference the 23.

crazy dave condon, former small boat dealer
Thanks for the boat speak, someone has replaced it with a Harken. I checked the store and got a big no go. I will have to cobble one myself if I can't find a vendor that sells this pulley.

Regards,
Mark

Apr 18, 2014
YES! It is exactly what I am looking for. Thank-you very much H30Gary.

Best Regards,
Mark

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Mark;

take the block out and make an impression or drawing of the base and holes. Go to a good store for sailboat hardware and see if you can match that up if able. One other suggestion is to see if you can remove the block and put in a new sheave of similar size using a stainless steel bolt that is rounded long enough to where it can go all the way thru, cut off the excess except for a section that you would have to put on new threads and possibly notch the opening on the rudder housing to accept the nut. I am a big nut but that would be too big. Ha.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The 23 head first built in late 1984 for the model year 1985 or built first in 1985. In 1983 only the 19,22, 35 were being built