Kenwood TS50S failure... again

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I think I have had enough of this radio. The dang think started acting up again. Same as maybe a year or so ago. No receive except all static. Transmit power runaway. Time to list this on QRZ.COM swapmeet forum and/or eBay as a radio for parts or for repair.

Have my eye on a couple more TS50S radios. However, I have seen a few Icom M710 radios up for sale at reasonable prices. Maybe too reasonable considering they are expensive radios. The thing that turns me off about the 710 is its not so easy to program ham bands, and, it is channelized, not VFO. However, should I still consider the 710 over the TS50S?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I think it would frustrate you. (Spoken by someone who doesn't even have his General yet.)

Sep 22, 2013
Catalina 30 NOB Norfolk W5CDR
And please remember it's an OLD radio (TS-50 or the 710). I would be looking for something significantly newer. You also need to decide if skirting the law, either marine SSB or ham bands, which would be the less frequent offense. I think a channelized radio is a genuine dealbreaker for me, having come from a ham background. VHF/UHF aside, channels are a pain for me.

Sean
W5CDR

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
What's your passion? local, DX, or are you trying to "stay connected" while afloat? Marine HF radios have many features and services that ham do; email, weather fax, long and mid range comms...... Ham can do all that AND you get the HF social nets also (there are also some marine HF nets but not as active) We are going to need a better set of your requirements before we can advise.
What's your primary band? 14.300 MHz (ham) and there abouts are my sweet spot. Antenna fits the boat with out a matching unit and lot of range. Got FL keys from Wash DC on a smokin 2 watts. Talked to New Zealand on 5 watts once but that was a some weird day for a lot of folks so I can't claim skill on that one.

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, both are old radios. Mainly 14300 and 7233.5 on the ham bands. However, I was looking at the M710 for several things; ruggedness being one, and being legal (LOL). But the main purpose of the rig is just that, keeping in touch and it is cool to have on board. I am not a social or contest ham. Those days are basically gone. I do use WinMor so that would be one purpose. Hardly out of VHF (marine and Ham) range here on the west coast.

Both radios are about the same price. Just the M710 doesn't appeal to me like the TS50. Foot print is an issue but not a huge one.

Let me put it to you this way. If the M710 was "given" to me I would work with it. So that is why I am not counting it out.

Oct 6, 2009
Custom Bluehull Kennesaw, Ga.
Maybe a TS-857. HF, 2 Meters, 6 Meters and 440. Should be able to pull something in on your wire. And with the Remote Head you could run up to the helm.

Feb 17, 2006
You mean an FT-857D? I have one of those at home. It is brand new so I really want to keep it in good shape. I decided against the M710. It is too big and again, it is channelized. I was also looking at an Alinco DX series. We will see. What ever I decided it will be by the end of next week.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Sep 22, 2013
Hi Brian,
Just a note on my radio. I have an older Icom 706MkIIg on my boat and find it works well. As a former Naval MARS operator, my 706 is opened up and can operate on the marine SSB freq's if necessary. I have never had occasion to go there rather, the ham bands provide all the comm. I need. I would like to upgrade to the IC-7000.
As you know radios are like boats ... there's always a bigger, better one to be had. The 7000 is on my list as it does not require any filters (IF DSP), will drive the AH-4 tuner already installed, and the color screen is a nice feature.
Thanks for your service.
Sean

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Icom M710
My FM marine Icom M504 is amazing. Kenwood was always a good Brand name >15 years ago.
I get the free chnl 27 Sea Tow Feed back of my voice from 90 nm away, but most likely my antenna.
Jim...

Feb 17, 2006
After several eBay auction attempts I finally scored an Icom IC-707. It is slightly bigger than the TS-50S and has about the same functionality (minus FM) that the TS-50S has. The plus is the variable power level from 5 ~100 watts. The TS-50S had three power levels: 10, 50 and 100 watts.

I got the Icom for about the same price that my TS-50S sold for so I am happy. I will have to build a new box but that was fun so no worries there.

Next, to get the antenna tuner in and get the alternative backstay up. This antenna will be between 35 and 37 feet. Depending on the length of the feed wire. The outside antenna length is 35'. Using 1/8 vinyl coated wire rope.

Sep 22, 2013
Congratulations Brian. You're back in the maritime mobile world. I believe the 707 can, with the 'TUNE' button, tickle an AH140 tuner into working, making long wire operation a breeze. It is impervious to weather and water making it an ideal tuner for a boat. If you don't already have one it's time to start looking!

Feb 17, 2006
Nameless, I have an MFJ939 for my tuner. It will be placed in a waterproof container. Going cheap here LOL. The MFJ works fine for what I want to do. If I ever upgrade to a bigger boat I will probably go and get the "real" marine stuff.