keeping rudder up when launching

Sep 7, 2011
Hunter H23 Southwind YC, Milford, Kansas
On Hunter 23's there is a line a cleat for keeping the rudder down in the water when sailing. What isn't there is a mechanism for keeping the rudder up when launching a retrieving. Has anyone solved this problem? I am certain it will be an easy fix but at the moment, as I look at my rudder, I just can't see an easy way to do it. Any ideas or pictures???

P100D

Jul 24, 2016
Hunter 23 Nashville TN Percy Priest lake
It doesn't hit the ground when backing in.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hate to say it but as a dealer when launching keep the rudder up and when putting on the trailer, at least half way up as I repaired my fair share of them.

In the meantime please anyone if you a good response, post it.

Decktosser; after the holidays let’s address then and send me a private message to remind to allow for responses and time for me to remember. Thanks

Meet Christmas and if you can spare a buck for coffee or meal to a disadvantaged person, good time to do it

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Any ideas or pictures???
Alright. Drill about a 1.25 inch through hole near the trailing edge of your rudder about 1/3rd the way down from the pivot point.
Fill the hole with a thickened marine epoxy and let dry. Fair your epoxy.
Now drill a 5/8ths through hole in the center of your epoxy job and install the uphaul line there. Tie or cleat it off on the transom somewhere.

Seemed to work on my Mac pretty okay.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Before drilling can you post photos of the rudder and lines.
@Kermit snd other previous H23 owners, did there use to be a handle on the rudder to tension it up?

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I agree. I remove the rudder right before I pull it on to trailer. It floats so that is reasonably easy. Putting it on when launching is harder, in that you have to push down while it floats and line up both gudgeons simultaneously.

Sep 7, 2011
Well, since I started this thread, I should show everyone what I decided to do. I liked the idea advanced by JustSomeGuy but really didn't want to drill a hole through my rudder. The picture will show what I did. I drilled a small hole about 1/3 the way down the rudder from the pivot point and then glassed in an eye bolt. The line from the eye bolt will be secured to the upper transom when the boat is hauled or launched.

Attachments

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Nice job.
If you have to use the green line to haul the rudder down and cleat it, could you just put a spring in the eyescrew so the rudder pops back up on its own when you uncleat it?
Your work looks very nice

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
The H23 rudder (at least mine) floats. If you uncleat the downhaul line it floats up to the horizontal position, sticking more or less straight back. That doesn't help when you pull it out with the trailer, of course. I don't think a spring to pull it would add much value. You don't want to leave it hanging that way as any wave action onto the transom will whack the rudder back and forth with some force. I leave mine all the way down in the slip and secure the tiller with a pair of 24 in shock cords. In fact, I'm not sure how high and how much out of the water you can even get the rudder due to the metal housing. Of course, use of the red lifting line should work to hold it up while hauling thetboat out of the water.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@decktosser

Please hold off from using that. After the holidays I will address this. That eyebolt is between the two of the seams of the rudder and the pressure from lifting will split it wide open.

Send me a private message in two weeks and I will talk to the manufacturer but hopefully others will chime in what they have in the meantime. I will report back to the forum

Sep 7, 2011
I really doubt it as the eye bolt is glassed in. Beside that the lifting pressure and the total weight of rudder is not that much. In addition the time that the rudder is up during launch and retrieval might be 15 mins. I just did not want to risk hitting concrete on a ramp.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I know the instruction and know what happened in the past. Ok it is your rudder and will back off and not respond any further on this subjects

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I really doubt it as the eye bolt is glassed in. Beside that the lifting pressure and the total weight of rudder is not that much. In addition the time that the rudder is up during launch and retrieval might be 15 mins. I just did not want to risk hitting concrete on a ramp.
You might possibly be right. But listening to @Crazy Dave Condon will never get you in trouble.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First instead of instruction, I meant construction. However, I have already said I will not respond on this subject anymore.