Keeping a Boat in Solomons, MD

4arch

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Baltimore
We’re most likely in the market for a new slip for the spring and although we live north of Baltimore we’re strongly considering moving the boat down to Solomons as its home port. The reasons are first that the value proposition of many of the marinas there seems better than that of marinas closer to home and also we like the idea for weekends when we’re not going anywhere that we’d have a small town and nice museum to bounce around - and not just be stuck in a gated marina at the dead end of a peninsula road. We’d like a marina that has a pool, isn’t a dump, and costs less than $100 per foot per year.

Beach traffic complicates going to any of the eastern shore towns that may be closer by mileage. Downtown Annapolis is too busy and too much $$$. The Herring Bay marinas with pools are also expensive. HdG is quaint but the marinas are expensive for what you get.

We can’t really come up with many closer options. We just have to decide whether the 2 hour drive will either drive us crazy or force us to plan/commit to making the most of our boat weekends. Another downside is that except for anchorages further up the Patuxent, Solomons is pretty darn far from many other weekending destinations.

I’d appreciate any thoughts from those who keep boats in Solomons and/or keep their boat a couple of hours away from where they live.

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
My 2 cents: I don't like to drive and having a 2+hour drive to the boat, and another 2+hrs to get back home, is too much driving for me, particularly if it's only for a weekend. While I like Solomons Island a lot (a great destination), if I lived in Baltimore I would really consider Herrington Harbour North (HHN). I think you could get there in an hour. This is a really nice and well kept full service marina, only 20 miles south of Annapolis, and is a great place to cruise the bay from. I'm not sure what slips cost in Solomons, but a slip for your boat at HHN would probably run around $4,800 to $5,200 per year which I think is pretty competitive for what you get.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Category: Slips
Type: For Rent
Condition: New
Price: $400 per mo Email: Email the Seller
Date: 8/27/2016 Expires: 11/24/2016

Description:
40' deep water slip for rent on a month to month or annual basis. Call 585-500-9659 or email me for more information.

This is Annapolis/Eastport/Back Creek/Severn house. W&E, pool in season. It's not my slip, but I have one here.

Jan 24, 2009
1981 Cherubini Hunter 27 Shipwright Harbor Marina, MD
I have a good friend who keeps his Hunter at Shipwright Harbor - shipwrightharbormarina.com. It's across the creek from Herrington Harbor North. He feels it's a homier, folksier place. I thinking of graduating to there in the next few years.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Solomon's is nice, and we visit there often in transit. Herring Bay, or Ron's slip advertisement would be my preference. Shipwright is a fine location, but not enough water for a 40' boat. Come down the bay, the sailing is fine!

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
My 2 Cs: I suggest you pop on down to Herring Bay and check out HHN and HHS spend the day. It's about 45-60 min drive from Blt w/traffic. Yes, a little more $ but I think its worth it. 5 Min from slip to sailing in the Bay. (HHS)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Personally, I'd decide based on driving and the desired cruising grounds. Do you want to cruise the Tangier Sound or the Choptank/Little Choptank/Eastern Bay complex?

Focusing on the marina is puting the wrong thing first IMHO.

Jun 24, 2014
Catalina 36 Mk II #2124 Crystal River
We live Solomons and love it. There are several marinas to choose from. It will be very very hard to beat the Solomons from an activity perspective. Always something going on in the summer. You can reach many places from there. I have several friends that choose to keep their boat there and live in Baltimore or DC. Myself I like the sails to Annapolis from there or over to the Choptank. If you intent is to drive down on a friday afternoon and drive back on Sunday. Then 2 hours isn't that big of issue.