Keel Winch

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
Last weekend I put the boat for the first time in the water and took a ride on the lake just motoring to test everything and this past weekend I took the family out, lower the keel and raised the main sail, I couln't raise the genova as the haylard was stuck so took the ride just with the main sail, open the first bottle of champange on the boat and celebrate!, then we got back to the house, lower the sail and up the keel, then took another ride with my parents, and when I was going to lower the keel, sudenly the winch was free wheeling and I feel the hard TUUUMMMBB when the keel hit the boat. I took a good look at the floor where the screw to secure the keel is, and everything looked good, so raise the sails and went to sail for at least half an hour, thinking what could make the winch to free wheel, once back, took the boat out of the water and checked under the boat the keel attachment, and everything was intact, then checked the winch, seek for information on the web and find that the winch handle was not for the winch of the boat, the brake system on the winch works with the pressure applied from the handle against the axle, and this handle has only the eye for the axle and a nut that put pressure on the handle but whe you turn the handle the nut went loose, and the winch freewheel. I know I can buy a complete winch from CD, but It will be a month before arrive, and my summer vacations are in 2 weeks so I'm going to make the handle, using the nut, I will make a bigger nut and put an allen screw on one side to secure the handle to the axle, like the photos of the handle I have seen here and on the web and solder the new nut to the handle, question, there is only the handle with the securing screw on the axle or there is another thing on the winch axle? another nut? or anything?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Can you post some low resolution pictures. Your line, if you could use the winch would raise and lower the centerboard/keel without an issue?

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
In the previous sail ride worked well, then the handle got loose, I just refinish the keel, changed the keel eye nut, the keel cable keel hose, turning ball this was the first use, this are hte pictures of the handle.
20171226_123126.jpg 20171226_123132.jpg 20171226_123140.jpg 20171226_123144.jpg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I'm trying to understand. Do you have picture that shows how the line is supposed to turn around the winch that raises and (controls) lowering the keel/centerboard. I don't understand what the pictures are or their context.

Aug 22, 2017
Catalina 22 Rapel Lake
In the pictures is the handle and the nut that secure the handle, this is an example from Chip Ahoy, the handle is the nut, and has a secure screw on the side:

front view:

Looking at the pictures, there is another nut before the handle, so even if the handle get loose the winch will not freely loose the cable.

Last edited:

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Your plan, it it's just the handle and it's attachment to the spindle seems reasonable to me.