KEEL PROBLEMS

May 9, 2019
Catalina 27 Tall Rig Port Credit
I have a 1987 Catalina Tall Rig, I been dealing with the smile for 8 Years and noticed a gradual peeling and bubbling off the Wing Keel on both the top and bottom. When I started to chip away I noticed it just pulled off and the keel is filled with Red Brick. The brick just turns to dust. I am looking to see if anyone else has this problem. I want to fix it myself but I have no clue and have struggled to find information. Thanks for any tips.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO. You have already taken the first best step to fix your problem by joining this awesome group. The next step is cleaning out and exposing the whole area around the problem.
Pictures?
Depending on how deep the cavity goes, re-laying glass over chopped glass filler is probably a good option. There will be others on here with direct experience with this issue.
My post is mostly too help you keep your question near the top of the New Posts list.
Good luck and it's good to welcome you as a new member.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
@waterwings,
Welcome to the forum!
The wing keel is solid lead attached to a fiberglass keel stub. The early C30s had plywood incased in fiberglass in the stub. If water penetrated and rotted the plywood the keel could drop slightly and cause the smile. I think Catalina stopped using the plywood around 88 or 89.
I never heard of brick used in the stub or keel.
I suspect what you're seeing is a failed filler used for fairing the keel/joint. You'll need to clean it all out and fair the keel with an epoxy filler.

Try Googling "Catalina Smile" for how to fix properly. You can also Google for "How to fair a lead keel". That should bring up a few ways to clean the keel to bare lead and fair it properly.

As @Will Gilmore said, photos will really help to understand the problem.

Regards,
Ward H