Keel pivot

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Oops sorry again
I had a drill bit also, but mine was questionable quality. Cast iron is really a bear to drill through without a drill press. You'll need a big drill with a big chuck and adjustable speed, slow it down to 400 to 600 rpm. You'll need some serious arm strength and a steady eye to hold constant pressure. I'm afraid the bit might try to jump around because of the oval shape, but your oval is not nearly as bad as I've seen on other keels. The idea is to get a very straight through hole, perpendicular to center line (square); this is critical. That's why a tapered ream is the ideal tool. Before you order that bit, I'd really try to find a local machine shop that has that ream and hopefully talk them in to doing the job for $30 to $50. Worst case, the drill bit may work. Generally speaking you always want to use cutting oil, but I didn't want to do that on mine because I didn't want any oil in the pores of the metal. A really good cleaning with acetone or Lacquer Thinner might take care of it, but I'd be pretty skeptical of getting it all.
Either way, once you get that hole reamed out to 1.25", take the new bushing and scuff the outside really good with 60 grit sand paper, nice and rough gives the epoxy something to grab. I waxed my keel pin with zipper wax and used it to hold the bushing square in the tube when I applied the epoxy. There are pictures of that in my thread. My keel pin hole was badly misshapen from missing material, yours is not nearly as bad.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
200 "likes" for CloudDiver!

(Except his delete button will appear at the bottom of each of his posts.)

Feb 8, 2022
Rhodes 36 yawl Great South Bay
OK, rookie question here regarding my 1986 Catalina 22 swing keel pivot.

Is the access to the hangers and pin through the outside of the trunk, from the outside -- i.e. the "bottom" of the boat? For now, the trunk is, call it bio-enriched with moss, barnacle and other growth that obscures any visual inspection. The boat is afloat.

Backstory here:. The keel literally fell out of the trunk at the pivot point. The lifting cable, replaced in 2021 held. The bushing and cast iron around the pivot pin had disintegrated. Fortunately this happened in the clear shallow water of a southern Bahamas out island immediately after beaching for a bottom scrubbing.

Repairs and facilities for such will necessarily be "Island Style." Which is synonymous with what we used to call in the Marine Corp a "field expedient."

Any pointers much appreciated.

Semper Fi!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
OK, rookie question here regarding my 1986 Catalina 22 swing keel pivot.

Is the access to the hangers and pin through the outside of the trunk, from the outside -- i.e. the "bottom" of the boat?

Semper Fi!
Yes, you will find four bolts (5/16"-18, 1 1/4") under the hull at the pivot point. Pray they come out without breaking, or the job will get more complicated very quickly.