Keel pivot

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
Hello again as you guys notice from my previous postings I have my keel out and now I m wondering if I should upgrade. Catalina Direct suggest changing the new and improved keel hanger to reduce keel play and install their centering spacer. I can understand changing both parts but the centering spacer is a piece of fiberglass for 44 bucks WOW! Has anyone tried to fabricate a spacer with epoxy? seems easy as long as you know the thickness and correct location. Secondly has anyone also changed the keel pivot pin bushing that is pressed into the keel hole also to prevent horizontal play? I have notice that my keel when it was installed did have some play I'm sure the clunking sound can be annoying. I have read without a certain amount of play their can be a lot of stress on your keel bolts under sail. And last, the new keel eye bolt that comes with the oversized 1/2 threads that would have to drilled and rethreaded. Should I upgrade this also. Since I have the keel out this would be a good time. Please help me on this if it is all is necessary before I donate my wallet to Catalina Direct...lol thank you...Don

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Don, I have done all of the things you are talking about. Everything is here, my resto thread;
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...oration-of-1981-c-22-swing-keel-10580.166613/

What year is your C22? You might need the new keel hangers... it really depends on the conditions of your original hangers. You need to be able to post pictures on the forum. Easiest way, for me anyhow, is to take pictures on my phone and then upload them right from the phone a photobucket account.

- You don't need the $44 keel spacer kit. I made mine by taking scrap fiberglass and stacking several dozen layers, soaking with epoxy resin and (between sheets of plastic) laid a board and a car battery on top. Then cut out the 2 inch x 4 inch pieces and then shaping them accordingly. This is the last thing you do when test fitting the keel.
- Do buy a new keel pin and the stainless bushing. To remove play from the keel pin you'll need a 1 and 1/4" inch tapered ream to open the keel pin hole up and keep it straight. This is not an easy tool to find, best thing is to borrow one from a friend who is a machinist. Worst case, if you can get the keel into the back of a pick-up truck and go to a machine shop they could ream it for you right in the truck bed, hopefully for only a few bucks. Then you epoxy the new stainless bushing in right away, don't leave the raw cast iron exposed to avoid rust.
- The keel cable eye-bolt should already have 1/2" threads, if it still has 3/8" threads that tells me it is an OLD C22. So yes, drill and tap for 1/2" threads. If you have the keel out, and it is that old, you might want to do a keel job now to prevent future rust and disintegration. Again, pictures would help...

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
+1 for everything you heard from @CloudDiver. Tons of good photo's on this forum on all of the topics above with amazing detail from multiple users-- by spending a bit of time reading the archives and doing searches on Keel related parts you will get an outstanding reference point before you commit cash and sweat to the project.

Jul 13, 2015
Just for grins: within the first 4 pages of results I found every thread you could ever need including CDs:
upload_2017-2-8_12-47-35.png

Sep 8, 2014
I would remove the old one and check to be sure of the size. Check the condition of the bolt and the threads. If you find it is the smaller size, get a new one and drill the hole out and re-tap to 1/2" 13 TPI. Use cutting oil to tap the new threads, but then clean it well with a degreaser, then acetone the crap out of it. Install the new one with blue loctite.
If it is already 1/2" eyebolt, only need to get a new one if the old one is damaged or corroded badly. Clean up the threads by just running the tap through. If the threads are damaged you can repair them with epoxy. Fill the hole with liquid epoxy, only slightly thickened. Then suck the epoxy out with a syringe before it starts to cure so its only sticking to the sides and no puddle in the bottom. After it cures, run the tap to cut out the excess epoxy and any damage to the threads will be filled with new epoxy. Install the bolt with loctite.

Jan 23, 2015
I took out my eye bolt yesterday and mine is a 1/2 thread . I ran a tap in the keel to clean the threads and their all in great shape so I'm good here. I do believe my pivot pin needs to be replaced it looks pretty worn I will post a pic , It is a little caved in at one spot. I'm sure it will not work with the pressed bushing for the keel. What do ya think? please bare with bare with me I'm new at downloading these images
20170209_184217[1].jpg
20170209_184217[1].jpg
20170209_184224_(1)[1].jpg
20170209_184224_(1)[1].jpg

Jul 13, 2015
Replace it-- you want a consistent uninterrupted mating surface between the new bushing and the Keel Pin. Using the old will continue the process of uneven wear and may even accelerate the process.

Jul 13, 2015
Imagine that lumpy out of round keel pin and it's nice shiny new home-- no bueno :)

20160603_213504055_iOS.jpg

Sep 8, 2014
What @pclarksurf said... get the new pin, I think its $24, and get the $9 bushing. Your hangers look good, I don't blame you for not wanting to spend $125 on those. Sometimes the new ones are a bit too wide and you have to spend more money having them them machined a little thinner anyway. Get the pack of 1 inch delrin washers from McMaster Carr that I posted above, those will help you center up the keel and remove play when using the old hangers.
If you want to get a new pin for less than $24, go to a metal supply place in your area, see if they have 1 inch OD silicon bronze rod. Get the same length as your original pin, they should cut it for you with an accurate bandsaw. It should be much less than $24, especially if they have cut-off bins with short lengths that they sell for a discount.

Jan 23, 2015
Thank you cloud diver you have been a great help. A lot of pricey stuff at cd but they are a real nice staff. Only thong I was digging and searching for was the thickness of the shim for the upper keel and approx. Location. I would like to make it out of epoxy. Would you know the location and approximate thickness?

Sep 8, 2014
Thank you cloud diver you have been a great help. A lot of pricey stuff at cd but they are a real nice staff. Only thong I was digging and searching for was the thickness of the shim for the upper keel and approx. Location. I would like to make it out of epoxy. Would you know the location and approximate thickness?
Page 17 of my resto thread shows the spacers I made and where I placed them on the keel. Fair warning, I over engineer everything, so I had my boat on stands high enough that the keel could be fully lowered and raised where I could check thickness and placement exactly. You'll see that one shim is slightly thicker than other when finished. This shows that every boat is different, even with shims on the keel pin to keep everything centered as close as possible I still had one shim thicker than the other. The ideal placement is where the shims are tucked into the pocket only when the keel is fully down, that way they are holding everything tight against the strongest part of the keel trunk. If they travel up high into the trunk then they are just pressing on the walls of trunk which are thinner fiberglass and just flexing everything around.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...-of-1981-c-22-swing-keel-10580.166613/page-17