Keel Pin Hole - How much wear and still repair?

Oct 18, 2015
Catalina 22 Kent Narrows, MD
I've read up on many (likely not all) of the keel repair posts - great information.

I'm wondering if my keel is still repairable - without doing *major* work like some of the posts I've seen where section of the keel is cut out, new metal welded in, and a new pin hole drilled.

I want to do it right (i.e. good enough, doesn't have to be perfect a la CD's keel repair!). I don't have the skills or tools to do the *major* work I've seen, and I really don't want to spent the $1500-$1800 hundred I was quoted for the work from a shop.

I'm hoping there's a middle of the road type of repair I've not stumbled across yet?
IMG_20170325_150444.jpg

Rusty

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
drill a new hole aft, leaving about a half inch of good metal between the old hole and the new one?

Sep 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Clucluz Lake, BC
A few years ago I had a machine shop fill in the void space with stainless weld, tidy up the hole and press in a bushing for $700 CAD. Your quote sounds outrageously high. Are they offering to strip, epoxy, fair and re-install the keel too?

Oct 18, 2015
drill a new hole aft, leaving about a half inch of good metal between the old hole and the new one?
Interesting idea I honestly didn't think of, but my guess is that doing so would make the keel not "fit" correctly inside the keel trunk. Appreciate the idea!

Oct 18, 2015
A few years ago I had a machine shop fill in the void space with stainless weld, tidy up the hole and press in a bushing for $700 CAD. Your quote sounds outrageously high. Are they offering to strip, epoxy, fair and re-install the keel too?
O M G. You know what, I didn't even think of that and called them back. YES - they were quoting a full restoration job, fairing and the works. (facepalm).

Frankly I'm not interested in that level of repair. The new quote to just fill the void and press in the bushing is much much less - gonna go that route it looks like. Thanks for the sanity check - can't believe I didn't clarify the scope of work when I talked to them.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I was thinking pennant hole.. not keel pivot.. you are right .. the keel would not fit correctly..

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Personally, I would never trust that keel. In my opinion, repairs are just going to be a bandaid. Too many decent keels are available out there to sink money into that potential disaster. My concern would be the whole boat. If the previous owner(s) neglected the keel for so many years, (this didn't happen in just a season or two), I would really question the integrity of the entire boat. What else has been grossly neglected?

Don

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
I'm wondering if my keel is still repairable - without doing *major* work like some of the posts I've seen
I'm with don-- the answer has to be no. Your Keel ranks up there with some of the worst I've seen pictures of. Relative to @CloudDiver's keel and the level of damage and neglect, you are right there with him, and we're still just talking about the pin hole.

I wouldn't spend any $ on that keel unless you are willing to go all in and completely refurbish it ala sandblasting / machining work/ epoxy. And as Don mentioned-- you might be better served looking at a donor keel.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Concur with all above. If you can't do the work yourself it is not worth paying someone else to do it over finding a used keel in far better condition.
Keep in mind, even the best condition 'used' C-22 keels need work. A sand blast and paint job with Interprotect 2000 is bare minimum if you want your investment to last. A keel that does not have such massive degradation to the pin hole is what you need, but you should be willing and able to do the work to protect the cast iron from future rust.

The keel you show above is completely salvageable. I'm wondering what the 'body' condition is like. The keel pin hole needs the top section cut out in a wedge and replaced with a chunk of steel (stainless can be use). If a welder knows what he is doing with the sensitivity of cast iron it can be done, but 1500 to 1800 is a bit much.

Oct 18, 2015
Thanks for all the input everyone. I now have plenty of options to consider. I appreciate all the time and replies.