Keel or centerboard?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Leeandrick
I have seen so many launches over the years. Many times I went over to offer suggestions and then told to mind my own business. I knew nothing as some would say.. There were times though I was asked who I was and boy the attitude changed to question, suggestion and answer time. However, there is one style of launch I use to do but would never recommend to anyone, the use of a crane with mast up over a bulkhead or even a bridge which took professionalism on that. I wish I could find those pictures and post a photo or two.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
I've had the same experience. Only exactly opposite.
It's hard not to offer suggestions, especially if you see damage or injury about to happen, but I've gotten a lot better at saying nothing. Well maybe not the injury part if it's a child. You can guess the Sunday afternoon past time at the marina launch ramp were I worked. You had to get there early with your lawn chair to get a good seat on the hill.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Wow this is an old thread. So "solo" what do you call a boat that has a lead keel that gives birth to a centerboard from within its loins?
I call it a ballasted stub-keel with centerboard. And it's what I call my own.

Don't forget the lifting keel, which is essentially a ballasted daggerboard. The West Wight Potter 19 uses a steel plate lifting keel. I feel confident calling it a lifting keel, because it's heavy and intended to provide ballast and righting moment. But it doesn't have a bulb at the bottom the way a J/70 does. Hot keelboats will have a ballasted bulb for greater righting moment.