Keel locking pin

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
You might try taping some paper towels to the whole suspect area, if you can - or coat it with chalk dust. Hopefully after your next sail, you can narrow the problem down-

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
or buy a tube of gasoila , it is green goo that turns yellow when water hits it, just smear some along a surface and watch for color changes, lasts longer than chalk for some locations.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Thanks for the pics Greg. That is a major project!

I took my boat out this weekend, and it turns out I still have a leak somewhere. At first, everything was dry, but as the wind picked up, I started to get some water in the sette and running down the channel next to the keel trunk that leads to the area near the volcano tube. S*$%&!@!!!

The upside was there was a lot less water. I had less than a gallon of water, but it is still a major disappointment. The other positive was there no water in the bow area, liked there has always been in the past.

I think I might have some other damage to my keel trunk, probably from an accidental grounding. The areas in my sette don't look like those in Greg's pics 1015 and 10151. There has obviously been a lot of glass work done in a couple of areas. I'll post some pics soon.

I also took the opportunity to dive the bottom of my boat. I didn't have a tank, so the effort did not reveal much, but I did see a crack across the keel trunk near the aft of the trunk area. I couldn't tell if it was a crack in the paint or in the fiberglass.
You're making progress at least! That's what I tell myself to keep on going at this project!

You probably going to have to take the boat out the water and drop the keel to get a better idea of what is the problem area.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
or buy a tube of gasoila , it is green goo that turns yellow when water hits it, just smear some along a surface and watch for color changes, lasts longer than chalk for some locations.
I'm going to give this a shot this weekend.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
You're making progress at least! That's what I tell myself to keep on going at this project!

You probably going to have to take the boat out the water and drop the keel to get a better idea of what is the problem area.
I did this last weekend. I couldn't tell where the water was actually seeping in. I'm heading out to the California Delta this weekend. I'm going to try spreading some Gasolia on the areas in question and see what happens. More to come...

By the way, I had a nightmare about having to cut open the liner to get to the keel trunk. Yikes!!!!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
I did this last weekend. I couldn't tell where the water was actually seeping in. I'm heading out to the California Delta this weekend. I'm going to try spreading some Gasolia on the areas in question and see what happens. More to come...

By the way, I had a nightmare about having to cut open the liner to get to the keel trunk. Yikes!!!!
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Sorry I find that funny... but I am living the nightmare!

Hope the sailing goes well and you find the problem.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Update on the "center board well" as it's called on this Catalina "blueprint... Circa 1974! I finally found the picture I was looking for...

This is more about providing support for the mast post inside the keel box inner lining... asbestos reinforced resin...yuckkkk to the nth degree! So guys, watch your health when working on these old boats!

Attachments

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I spent the weekend sailing in the California Delta. The sailing was all over the map, with really high winds (25-35 knots) to almost no wind. Fun, but challenging.

The bad news is that the boat is still leaking, a lot. I am pulling out 8-10 gallons of water after sailing and again in the morning before sailing.

I put the Gasolia on the dinette area to identify the leak. The leak is in the front dining sette, near the bulkhead area. But, most of the water is flowing towards the aft end near the keel cable area through what look to be a channel along the keel trunk. I don't think it's the volcano tube or the cockpit drain. I'm at a loss.

Any ideas of what I should do next? I'm thinking I need to remove the keel and look at the keel trunk to see if it have been damaged, possibly from a keel cable break and impact to the front of the trunk. The boat yard wants $650 to lift the boat on stands and take the keel on and off. Who knows how much to repair the damage, if there is any damage to the keel trunk.

Attachments

Apr 11, 2017
That's terrible. Assuming the boat is structurally sound - what are your best thoughts as to where the water is actually coming in from? If it were me, I'd be at the WTF stage, and try wiping the whole suspect area down with denatured alcohol, and then painting with a couple coats of a thinned epoxy, in the hope it would penetrate any hairline crack, and seal it. 8 gallons of water does seem like a lot for an unseen crack though.

Apr 11, 2017
Is it possible there is some flex, opening a crack when the keel is torquing against the keel case, when the boat is heeling? It seems like you indicated the water was coming in just as bad overnight though, so if that's the case it really seems to be a quandary.

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I'm thinking about two things next:
1. Buying a semi-rigid endoscope and poking around to see if I notice anything. These are only about $30-$40 on Amazon.
2. Dropping the keel and taking a look at the inside of the keel trunk.

Maddening!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Do you have a trailer? Take her out of the water and fill the bilge, then look for water leaking out.

Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Tough to read from photographs — but it looks like someone has repaired that area— way too clean with a fresh layer of smooth fiberglass mat. You are definitely going to want to be under the boat on stands and inspect the keel trunk and all things keel carefully.

For reference— my ‘73 in the water for a weekend is completely dry. Something has changed.....

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I think I have found the source if the leak. There is a crack across the top of the keel trunk, about 16-18 inches behind the keel hanger bolts. I was able to lift my boat up enough to lower the keel to get a good look into the keel trunk from the outside. I was able to feel the crack. It goes from one side to the other. See pics.

I'm considering taking her to a boat yard in Berkeley where up can work on it yourself. Could be lit easier to work on her on some stands. I don't need to take the keel off, just lower it enough get access to the repair area.

Can I do the repair from the outside? I was hoping to be able to sand out the crack with a Dremel tool, then expoxy and fiberglass the area. I don't want build up the area too much because it will restrict how far a I can lift the keel. Access from the inside would involve cutting the liner under the aft dinette areas.

What do you think?
Kevin