Keel locking pin

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Hi all, I finally got tired of all the water i would have in my boat after a day or two of sailing. I started with the keel pin. It was totally glassed over, so I wasn't sure this was the source of the leak. Well, it might have been because the pin and strap are rusted. I'm planning on epoxy and glassing the hole and the surrounding area. I also don't think I can get the remaining pin strap out. It goes too far into the top of the keel trunk. I can't get my fingers into the space. I'm thinking about just grinding most of the strap out and glassing it all. Im not trying to flame a pin vs no pin argument, just want to make sure in not about to doing that will sink the boat. Thanks! Kevin

Attachments

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Thanks Neil. Hope to float her next weekend. I'll post a couple pics of my sloppy glass work as I work thru the project.

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
FWIW... my boat did not even come with a keel locking down method at all!

Grind away as much as you can and patch it over with some epoxy and cloth is what is suggested and I support that notion!!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would love a way of locking my CB in the down position, but I wouldn't put a hole in my boat near the waterline, to do it.
I'm considering a rod that inserts down from the top of the trunk and latches, it just needs to keep the cb from folding back up in case of a knock down.
I think most boats don't have a way to lock the cb down and they do fine.
I also plan on plugging up the hole for the pin used to lock the cb in the up position. It is undersized for trailering with it in.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
The couple that owned the C22 named "BOAT", modified their setup.
Instead of a plate that pushes against the side of the keel...
It has/had a access cover on the centerline near the compression post. A pin then went into/through the keel.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
We had a similar issue with leaking around the pin. Removed and repaired the hole. Do wish we could lock it down but don't miss the water.

Sam

greg_m

May 23, 2017
It has/had a access cover on the centerline near the compression post. A pin then went into/through the keel.
I was thinking about a similar setup... however there needs to be a "weak link" to prevent damage to the fiberglass structure and avoid flooding the "BOAT" in case of grounding the keel!

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I have been sailing my boat for two years now thinking that the pin was at least screwed into the hole. Once I removed it, it was apparent that I was wrong. I think the pin is mainly to help minimize side-to-side wiggling of the keel. I doubt it do much if the boat actually turtled. I don't expose myself to those types of sailing conditions and I don't recall hearing many, if any, actual turtled Cat22 stories. So at the end of the day, I don't think I will miss not having the pin.

I grinded out the strap last night. I used a grinder with a cutting blade to remove the strap. Then I used a flap blade on the grinder to prep the area. Pictures attached. On Wednesday I will epoxy and glass the repair (tonight is date night!).

Kevin

Attachments

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
What plate are you talking about? I've never seen any plate, it's just the end of that damn bolt, grinding into the side of the keel. You have a plate of some kind??

On an unrelated note, who are/were the owners of "BOAT"? I stumbled across a photo of her once, and have always wondered who owned it and what their story was.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
How much water do most see coming in through the keel bolt hole? Just 1/2 cup or so, or a lot more at times?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How much water do most see coming in through the keel bolt hole? Just 1/2 cup or so, or a lot more at times?
More, at times. However, in most cases, the keel bolt hole can be caulked or even glassed over, the cb doesn't get pulled that often for it to be a problem. It's the locking pin that goes in and out each time you sail that is hard to plug. Mostly, it's just disconcerting.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I'm getting about 1-4 gallons of water after a weekend of sailing and anchoring out. The amount of water really depends on how rough it is out on the water. It's a nuisance, but also a real pain not being to keep anything in the holds without putting everything in dry bags or plastic containers. I don't feel that I am at risk of sinking, but don't like the thought of knowing my boat is leaking from somewhere.

I don't think that any water should be in the boat except from rain or waves splashing water in to the open cabin. This may be a pipe dream, but if I could get the amount of water to a 1/2 cup or less, that be be a huge success!

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
Thanks - is all this water still managing to come in, even with the original keel locking bolt screwed in place?

Mine is semi-permanently plugged up from the previous owner, but I didn't know they really leaked that badly if not permanently plugged up.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
What plate are you talking about? I've never seen any plate, it's just the end of that damn bolt, grinding into the side of the keel. You have a plate of some kind??

On an unrelated note, who are/were the owners of "BOAT"? I stumbled across a photo of her once, and have always wondered who owned it and what their story was.
I've seen 2 C22s that had a SMALL plate on the end against the keel. Still scrape the crap out of it though.
Not sure if that was a mod or oem. I've never actually looked at what mine has. and i painted the anti fouling this spring.. hehe

Not sure who they were or which fleet they were part of.
I had a link to the remains of a blog with photos of their C22 with heavy modifications, but can't seem to find it.

It showed a couple of nice photos, including a modification where they used one of those round plastic access covers, like I used to access the gudgeons. With the cover off, they had a pin that apparently went through the keel. I would like to assume they reinforced that area so it would handle an impact if the pin was installed.
Just guessing based on the photo I saw. :(

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
On my boat, I think (hope) most of the water is entering the hole where the keel bolt should go. If you look at the original pics, you can see the keel bolt is still attached to the strap. Before I cut the strap out, I thought the bolt extended into the hole. That was not the case. The bolt was rusted off at the strap. The hole was wide open with no bolt protruding. I used a can of Blaster trying to get that bolt to move. No wonder why that failed...

The entire strap is very rusted. I think water was coming in the bolt hole and doing what water does best, find the paths of least resistance, probably along this strap and coming into the boat in a couple of spots; the seat compartment where the bolt is located, and along the keel trunk towards the after end of the boat. There's a channel along my keel trunk that leads back to where the volcano tube and winch are located. A lot of water moves through that and then it goes under the other berths and to the bow.

I hope this is the source if the water intrution. I'll find out maybe on Sunday. I'm planning to have it all fixed by Wednesday and take her a quick sail to check for water. I'll let you how it goes. Keep your fingers crossed!

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Wow... "BOAT" looks like it was setup in the realm of "live-aboard"!!

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
I have a question along these lines: I’ve only been on one other Catalina 22, and he had his keel lock down bolt removed and glassed in. We were racing, and whenever we were at speed, his keel cable would hum badly. Mine doesn’t do that. I’m assuming it’s because I let slack in the cable. Cable hum made me nuts.

Do we think it has anything to do with the keel having all its weight on the cable and no pin to allow the cable to slacken? For me, this would be an argument to leave the pin intact on my boat. I need to make a decision because it leaks and creates mildew in the cabin.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
You are suggesting the pin is to prevent the cb from being fully in the down position? Some people do keep the cb cable tight to prevent the cb from hitting the front of the trunk. I don't think that should be standard expectations of the designer. That would be an engineering flaw, if you have to hold the cb back by use of the cable. More likely, they need another half-inch of length on their cable.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
I have a question along these lines: I’ve only been on one other Catalina 22, and he had his keel lock down bolt removed and glassed in. We were racing, and whenever we were at speed, his keel cable would hum badly. Mine doesn’t do that. I’m assuming it’s because I let slack in the cable. Cable hum made me nuts.

Do we think it has anything to do with the keel having all its weight on the cable and no pin to allow the cable to slacken? For me, this would be an argument to leave the pin intact on my boat. I need to make a decision because it leaks and creates mildew in the cabin.
I don't think the keel pin has anything to do humming noise you hear while sailing. Every Cat22 that I have been in, with the exception of fixed keel models hum. Mine hums and girlfriend doesn't like either. All it takes to get ride of the hum is to slacken or tighten the keel cable. Try both and find out what works best for you. Other people that I have sailed with like the humming sound. It lets them know the boat is tracking and moving correctly. I don't have enough experience to discern keel cable sounds, but I know that when I start hearing the hum, I know the boat is moving at a good clip and is healing a bit. I also know that I am about to get the stink-eye from my lady... :biggrin: