keel leaking

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Show how do you check if you think your keel is leaking into the bilge?

What would you look for to suggest it was leaking ?

Has any Catalina 310 had this problem ?

paulj
:hook2:

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
If you have salt water in your bilge...I would be thinking leak. But it may not be the hull/keel joint. Did you run aground?

Other sources of water can be deck leaks (fresh water normally), or things like stuffing box, thru hulls, etc (salt water...assuming you are sitting in salt water).

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I haven't heard of any C310's having this issue, Paul. The only water I get into mine is from the prop shaft packing gland.

Mar 11, 2009
Hunter 40 Saint John
if you have to resources to take boat out of water, let it sit for a couple hours while hull dry's, then pout water in bildge and see if it leaks from the inside out. Maybe not have same head pressure against outside of hull while i water, but we are only talking probaly at most, 2-3 psi, or 54" - 61 " H20... Very easy do do

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Check and see if any of the keel bolts is loose. Plug any drains into the compartment, dry it up and wait to see if you get any water. If all bolts are tight and no water is leaking then it should be a normal discharge from the water trapped in the stringers. Sorry to inform you but your boat will have many gallons of water trapped in the stringers below the sole and this water gets dislodged with boat heel and motion and will flow to lower compartments. Unless you had a hard grounding recently I would not worry about the keel to hull joint. If in doubt dive under the boat and visually look for rust spots and cracks. Your water might be a little cold but that is what we do in Florida. Check the rate of flow, if it is something you can live with have it checked when the opportunity arises.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
The masts with roller furling mains leak like a sieve. I filled the gap with isolation foam, which doesn't much like UV sun, so it needs to be replaced every year. Even with that, if the rain is from the stern, there will be water in the bilge.