Registered users don't see ads

Keel bolt torque and nut size for Oday 35

Discussion in 'Bigger Boats' started by rajhnsn, May 6, 2015. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. rajhnsn

rajhnsn

Joined Oct 7, 2008
    300 posts, 3 likes
    Oday Oday 35
    US Chesapeake Bay
    After searching the posts on this topic, I was only able to find a couple of reference to the keel bolt torque and nut size for the Oday 35. I did see Jibes' chart for figuring it out and Larry's post indicating 160 ft lbs. and 1 and 1/4 nut size. Are these specs correct?

2. SailingCal21

SailingCal21

Joined May 30, 2006
    247 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 34
    US Chesapeake Bay
    Ok y'all it time to tighten Karma's keel bolts. Did anyone ever resolve the nut size? I measured and came away with 1 3/4".

3. SailingCal21

SailingCal21

Joined May 30, 2006
    247 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 34
    US Chesapeake Bay
    Update:
    Karma has 5 keel bolts, the 2 aft and forward have 1 1/8 " nuts (on 3/4" studs) and the 3 in the middle have 1 3/4" (on 1" studs). Can't seem to find a 1 3/4" deep well socket for those. The forward 1 1/8" nut for the keel bolt is located under the mast step on the keel. Really hard to see or touch even, guess that the mast will need to come out to get to it properly. I have a mechanic coming who has the correct sockets to do the torquing. He's gonna see if he can apply force to the forward nut.

4. rajhnsn

rajhnsn

Joined Oct 7, 2008
    300 posts, 3 likes
    Oday Oday 35
    US Chesapeake Bay
    I came to the same conclusions. I don't see how to get to the bolt under the mast.

5. jibes138

jibes138

Joined Jan 27, 2008
    2,662 posts, 73 likes
    ODay 35
    US Beaufort, NC
    You might need a crows foot for the forward bolt. Try Harbor Freight for the large deep sockets. All the nuts on my 35 are the same size. Odd they are different. I have 7 bolts.

6. SailingCal21

SailingCal21

Joined May 30, 2006
    247 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 34
    US Chesapeake Bay
    Yeah I bought both metric and SAE impact deep sockets from Harbor Freight, Largest was a 1 1/8" and 32 mm. Not large enough for the 1 3/4" nuts.

Did get a 12 ton press from HF to press out the gears and thrust washers for the Hurth transmission, but that'll show up on another thread.

7. njlarry

njlarry

Joined Sep 23, 2009
    1,177 posts, 80 likes
    O'Day 34-At Last
    US Rock Hall, Md
    It is 160 ft lbs but don't remember the size. Harbor freight did not have a deep enough socket so I gotmine online but can't find it in my messy garage so did not get to it this season. Can not see a way to get the forward bolt but the rest are holding up the keel with no movement. Will post again if I can find it.

8. SailingCal21

SailingCal21

Joined May 30, 2006
    247 posts, 3 likes
    Oday 34
    US Chesapeake Bay
    Thanks, here's a pics of the main keel bolts. IMG_0656.JPG
    It looks like the forward nut will be accessible with one of those universal joint type extensions. Not sure what's going on the the bedding around it. Wondering if it was a leaker and the PO fixed it?
    IMG_0665 (1).JPG

9. Ron20324

Ron20324

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    5,475 posts, 336 likes
    Beneteau 323
    US Annapolis MD
    The bedding was probably OEM intended to give the plate full, flat, contact to the hull.

10. njlarry

njlarry

Joined Sep 23, 2009
    1,177 posts, 80 likes
    O'Day 34-At Last
    US Rock Hall, Md
    Scott your bolt pattern is very different from mine. Will try to get some pics to post over the weekend.

11. jibes138

jibes138

Joined Jan 27, 2008
    2,662 posts, 73 likes
    ODay 35
    US Beaufort, NC
    Yeah, mine has side by side bolts on both sides of the cross beam. Here's a link to a crows foot for that forward bolt. https://www.mcmaster.com/#drive-sockets/=19hqz1z Pretty pricey for a single tool though. Shop around you can probably find one cheaper. This is just to show what I meant by a crows foot. There is a calculation you need to make to convert the torque because of the extra length to the center of rotation. Don't use a Harbor Freight universal joint with 1/2 square drive. I tried one to give me enough height above the floor boards for my torque wrench. The pins in the universal joint ripped right out at about 120 foot pounds. Good luck. McMaster also has a deep 1 3/4 socket but also big bucks. https://www.mcmaster.com/#drive-sockets/=19hr61q

Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Too hot? INSTANT BIMINI ESTIMATES
Low prices, custom fit, no-wait estimates
Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.