Keel bolt torque and nut size for Oday 35

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
After searching the posts on this topic, I was only able to find a couple of reference to the keel bolt torque and nut size for the Oday 35. I did see Jibes' chart for figuring it out and Larry's post indicating 160 ft lbs. and 1 and 1/4 nut size. Are these specs correct?

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Ok y'all it time to tighten Karma's keel bolts. Did anyone ever resolve the nut size? I measured and came away with 1 3/4".

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Update:
Karma has 5 keel bolts, the 2 aft and forward have 1 1/8 " nuts (on 3/4" studs) and the 3 in the middle have 1 3/4" (on 1" studs). Can't seem to find a 1 3/4" deep well socket for those. The forward 1 1/8" nut for the keel bolt is located under the mast step on the keel. Really hard to see or touch even, guess that the mast will need to come out to get to it properly. I have a mechanic coming who has the correct sockets to do the torquing. He's gonna see if he can apply force to the forward nut.

Oct 7, 2008
I came to the same conclusions. I don't see how to get to the bolt under the mast.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You might need a crows foot for the forward bolt. Try Harbor Freight for the large deep sockets. All the nuts on my 35 are the same size. Odd they are different. I have 7 bolts.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Yeah I bought both metric and SAE impact deep sockets from Harbor Freight, Largest was a 1 1/8" and 32 mm. Not large enough for the 1 3/4" nuts.

Did get a 12 ton press from HF to press out the gears and thrust washers for the Hurth transmission, but that'll show up on another thread.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
It is 160 ft lbs but don't remember the size. Harbor freight did not have a deep enough socket so I gotmine online but can't find it in my messy garage so did not get to it this season. Can not see a way to get the forward bolt but the rest are holding up the keel with no movement. Will post again if I can find it.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks, here's a pics of the main keel bolts.
IMG_0656.JPG

It looks like the forward nut will be accessible with one of those universal joint type extensions. Not sure what's going on the the bedding around it. Wondering if it was a leaker and the PO fixed it?
IMG_0665 (1).JPG

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
The bedding was probably OEM intended to give the plate full, flat, contact to the hull.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Scott your bolt pattern is very different from mine. Will try to get some pics to post over the weekend.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Yeah, mine has side by side bolts on both sides of the cross beam. Here's a link to a crows foot for that forward bolt. https://www.mcmaster.com/#drive-sockets/=19hqz1z Pretty pricey for a single tool though. Shop around you can probably find one cheaper. This is just to show what I meant by a crows foot. There is a calculation you need to make to convert the torque because of the extra length to the center of rotation. Don't use a Harbor Freight universal joint with 1/2 square drive. I tried one to give me enough height above the floor boards for my torque wrench. The pins in the universal joint ripped right out at about 120 foot pounds. Good luck. McMaster also has a deep 1 3/4 socket but also big bucks. https://www.mcmaster.com/#drive-sockets/=19hr61q

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
My 35 has 7 bolts: one on the centerline forward ahead of the mast step, two (side by side) under the mast step, two (side by side) aft of the mast step (pictured), one on the centerline behind these two (pictured), and one on the centerline at the far aft of the bilge (pictured).

I pull the nuts one at a time, clean the threads, add some Tef-Gel, and tighten the nuts, every other year. Best guess is that I have them torqued to 120'/lbs. They are tight, and all torqued similarly.

2016-09-22 12.41.04.jpg
I was going to share three pictures, but the picture of the bolts below my mast step is >2.4 MB, so it won't load.

This is the area bilge behind the keel stub
2016-09-22 12.40.34.jpg

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Yeah, that's a clean one all right.
Karma is a 1981 which I believe is the first year they build 34s. I suspect that they changed the keel bolt arrangement in subsequent years to improve security and go to smaller bolts.

Had a scare when Karma was launched as I had signs of a leak in the bilge. Turns out that the leak was from the grounding plate (Dynaplate?) mount. It has a teak backing plate, once the backing plate swole up the leak stopped. There's a good bit of corrosion around the plate's mounting bolts. One more maintenance item for next haul out. The plate has been painted over since before I've had the Karma so has been pretty much ineffective for sometime.

Thoughts on simply removing it, filling the holes or replace and take better care of it? One article suggest annual scrubbing to keep it effective. Another article suggest that it's good as a secondary anode? I don't have SSB or a reason to keep it.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
...Turns out that the leak was from the grounding plate (Dynaplate?) mount. It has a teak backing plate, once the backing plate swole up the leak stopped. There's a good bit of corrosion around the plate's mounting bolts. One more maintenance item for next haul out. The plate has been painted over since before I've had the Karma so has been pretty much ineffective for sometime...
Where is this grounding plate? Can you post a photo? I don't think we have a dedicated ground plate.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
The plate is on the starboard side toward the stern. eherlihy's pictures above don't show such a device mounted as does Karma. Here are pictures that I took in 2006 when I initially surveyed her.

DSCF0099.JPG
DSCF0053.JPG

Aug 17, 2010
Oday 35 Barrington
I suggest that you remove the dynaplate while she is hauled, and either; a - bevel and fill the holes with epoxy and glass, or b - re-install the dynaplate using 5200 as a sealant and a G-10 backing plate (instead of the teak), bonded to the hull with epoxy. If it were my decision, I would choose option b.

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
I would either remove or replace that dynaplate ASAP. Another boat in my yard, similar vintage, had one of those and without any warning, the bolts corroded through, creating 1/4 inch hole in bottom. The only reason the boat didn't go all the way to the bottom is because the launch kid noticed the boat was sitting low in the water and called the manager, who immediately hauled the boat out.

Oct 7, 2008
Has anyone described how to get to the forward bolts under the mast step?

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
On Karma, it's clear that the mast has to be removed (or lifted) which will expose the forward keel bolt. There's actually an access hole under the mast step plate. I was able to reach under the mast with an open ended wrench, however not able to generate much torque.

Seems that the keel bolt configuration on the "newer" O'Day 34/35s is very different so not sure if the forward bolt is in the same position.