Kayak's on the boat?

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Catalina 22 Vincent Alabama, BSC
Has anyone ever taken kayak''s on their 22? If so how did u store them?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
You could look around for a kayak that would fit on your foredeck, perhaps. We found some 9' kayaks that fit nicely strapped inboard of our shrouds, but that doesn't help you.

Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I'd probably strap them along the inside of the forward stanchions, if they can fit. I once saw a set-up on a C22 where kayaks were strapped on the outside of the midship stanchions, and there was some kind of a "U" shaped PVC support tube, attached to the outside of the stanchions to allow that. It seems like it would put a lot of leverage outboard of the stanchions though, but must work.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'd probably strap them along the inside of the forward stanchions, if they can fit. I once saw a set-up on a C22 where kayaks were strapped on the outside of the midship stanchions, and there was some kind of a "U" shaped PVC support tube, attached to the outside of the stanchions to allow that. It seems like it would put a lot of leverage outboard of the stanchions though, but must work.
I have seen this too, but I wouldn't want to dock with the kayaks outboard of the stanchions.

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
How do the Magma mounts attach to the boat? Can they be removed and stored fairly easy?

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
Also how much weight can stachions hold? I was under the impression they break away at a certain pressure as not to damage the decking by ripping a hole in it.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
How do the Magma mounts attach to the boat? Can they be removed and stored fairly easy?
They clamp on to the life line stanchions. Can be loosened and swung along side when not in use or removed for winter storage as we do. We've used them on 3 boats so far and wouldn't be without them.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Kayaks are very light (40lb.) mounted near the bottom of stanchion and the moment arm is very short. They have never caused any problems.

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
I think I am going to order two sets one for each side. We have a set of cheap 8 ft kayaks that are very light. Our 12ft kayaks I think would be excessive weight around 70 pounds each. And my daughters kayak is only four foot so it can go on the front deck. I was looking at getting a dingy but we all would rather have our kayaks.

Dug22

Jan 29, 2019
We use our 12 ft kayaks going down Terrapin Creek and the Tallapoosa River in the summer. I can take a 32 Oz yetI full of beer and fishing poles. We float for 6 hours and go back to the camper and build a fire and hang with friends...

Aug 31, 2011
Catalina C-22 9485 Lake Rathbun, IA
We've stowed on deck but deck space is very restricted. OK if motoring but a PIA if under sail. We have also towed them on a line astern. Very little drag. If calm we've even tossed one of the scurvy young crew members into a kayak towing astern. They love it !!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Bought one of these last year. Tried carrying kayaks on the deck but were a pita to climb around to get forward. It's 17' inflatable 2 man / 1 man. Packs up into a large suitcase sized bag. Only takes few minutes to set up. Handles very well in the water and is rated for white water. Nice thing is I don't have to worry how fast I paddle, I'm not worried about leaving my wife behind...

IMG_20180812_0845423.jpg

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Advanced Elements Convertible kayak. Can change the seating from 1 or 2. Carries the 2 of us just fine. It came with a inflatable rigid floor and also can get a rigid pole spine . Can also get spray skirts for 1 or 2.