K and N air filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
Hello out there.

Looking to upgrade to the K and N air filter. I looked back at the old thread here and I like what Paulj has done. Looking at the K and N RC 2450 filter, I see that Paul has connected the crank case vent to the filter.

Paul, if you are out there would you mind walking me through what you have set up? The dripping oil is driving me to distraction and I assume that is what you solved with your set up.

Thanks,
Silvio

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I have been meaning to right a post on this but I would advise you not to connect the PCV valve to the air filter. I did this upgrade and was having an issue with the oil level in the crank case increasing. I did some trouble shooting and it was because of this connection. My theory is that it was creating too much of a suction on the valves and pulling diesel into the crank case.

I might be alone with this problem because others have made this modification without problems.

Definitely do the filter upgrade. Big improvement.

Here is MaineSails page on this mod: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/m25_air_filter__pcv_valve

And here is mine: http://svsmitty.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/engine-cleaning-heat-exchanger-altenator/

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Catalina 310 Anacortes,Wa
Hello out there.

Looking to upgrade to the K and N air filter. I looked back at the old thread here and I like what Paulj has done. Looking at the K and N RC 2450 filter, I see that Paul has connected the crank case vent to the filter.

Paul, if you are out there would you mind walking me through what you have set up? The dripping oil is driving me to distraction and I assume that is what you solved with your set up.

Thanks,
Silvio

Silvio

paulj :troll:

Attachments

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
Question... Why the K & N air filter? What difference does it make?
Thanks..

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
K&N air filters can be cleaned rather than replaced. They are also a good, quality filter. The OEM filter is nothing more than some porous foam and steel wool.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Alansails

I saw this K&N filter on the Catalina 34 site in 2008, it was being used on a M 25xp, the id of the inlet fit the stock od manifold intake.........so easy peasy japanesy and it fix my problem.

I gained 10 SAE HP with this modification.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
I have been meaning to right a post on this but I would advise you not to connect the PCV valve to the air filter. I did this upgrade and was having an issue with the oil level in the crank case increasing. I did some trouble shooting and it was because of this connection. My theory is that it was creating too much of a suction on the valves and pulling diesel into the crank case.

I might be alone with this problem because others have made this modification without problems.

Definitely do the filter upgrade. Big improvement.

Here is MaineSails page on this mod: http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/m25_air_filter__pcv_valve

And here is mine: http://svsmitty.wordpress.com/2013/01/14/engine-cleaning-heat-exchanger-altenator/
The suction problem seems odd. There should not be too much suction pulling through the crankcase breather hose since the filter has so much surface area from which to pull air.

Also, make sure the hose fitting (I used a pvc elbow) is tightly clamped to the hose. If it were to get sucked in, the result would probably be catastrophic!

My M18:

Silvio

Dec 1, 2010
Catalina 310 Solomons Island, MD
Thank you all for the replies. Paulj, excellent pictures as always.

Oct 4, 2013
Catalina 310 - Hull#31 S/V "Harmony" Moss Landing, CA
So it looks like Paul installed the RU-2450 and not the RC-2450?

the RC-2450 has the chrome top. and I believe that is the only difference except the RC has a base outside width of 2.875" as opposed to 3" for the RU.

I just ordered the RU-2450. So I hope its the right one.

Oct 4, 2013
Catalina 310 - Hull#31 S/V "Harmony" Moss Landing, CA
Also, I'm hoping to do this upgrade this weekend and I'm a little confused still...

In connecting the crank case vent to the filter, could I ask for a few more details please?

PaulJ it looks like you just cut the vent hose and somehow attached another hose to the Cut end?

Then you attached the new hose to the fitting you put into the air filter? Do I have that right?

If that's the case, what did you use to cut and modify the vent hose?
What size hose did you use? Is it the same size as the vent?
This has been asked I think on the older thread but where did you get the fitting that goes into the air filter?
How did you attach the fitting to the air filter?
It doesn't look like you used hose clamps?

Sorry for the interrogation :( I just didn't see these details in this or other threads on this topic.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
Weinie, do you remember the K&N part number? I think I need a low profile for my M-18.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
Crankcase vent

My M-18 used to always have a drop of oil that came out of the vent hose. I changed the orientation of the elbow on the valve cover from horizontal to vertical. I got a longer hose and ran it up as high as possible in the engine bay and then back to the air cleaner. I added an oversized clamp to the bottom of the cockpit floor to hold the hose. Originally, the M-18 has a hose clamp on the side of the snorkel. I moved mine to the top of the snorkel. Now mine gets a little oily, but never drips.

paulj

Mar 16, 2007
Also, I'm hoping to do this upgrade this weekend and I'm a little confused still...

In connecting the crank case vent to the filter, could I ask for a few more details please?

PaulJ it looks like you just cut the vent hose and somehow attached another hose to the Cut end?

Then you attached the new hose to the fitting you put into the air filter? Do I have that right?

If that's the case, what did you use to cut and modify the vent hose?
What size hose did you use? Is it the same size as the vent?
This has been asked I think on the older thread but where did you get the fitting that goes into the air filter?
How did you attach the fitting to the air filter?
It doesn't look like you used hose clamps?

Sorry for the interrogation :( I just didn't see these details in this or other threads on this topic.

I cut the original vent hose, after the the bend, then went to a Napa dealer with the old vent hose..... which had the K&N filter and said I need some parts to make this thing work with these parts............she dinked around for about a half an hour and came up with the parts.

I drilled a hole in the filter housing , a hole smaller then the fitting tread size, then screwed the fitting in with a wrench.

Attachments

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Funny, I have never had any oil coming out of the vent, only 650 hr though, so probably not much blow-by.

Status
Not open for further replies.