Just Launched

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Hey DJ, @dLj the original hot water heater is viewable on starboard side, behind the galley sink, through the lazerette. Ours was replaced by a more efficient model by the previous owner (P.O.) and is located in the same location. I’ve attached a brochure that provides quite a bit of information with respect to specifications and floor plan for our boats.

B8CBD173-E19E-4FC9-9720-E3C8D97E68F4.png ADA461E8-E3C0-431A-9860-4DEE442F3C69.png

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
The cold water line from the tank goes aft to a "T" somewhere near the tank that branches off as a cold water line to the head sink. The other branch goes aft to another "T" in or near the engine space. That branches to a hose to the water heater and to a hose to the cold side of the galley sink. The hot water feed from the heater goes to a"Tee" that splits to hoses that feed the galley and head sinks.
You should consider replacing ALL of the Hoses and Clamps in your system as they are probably original, as you suspect.

May 27, 2004
The port light "wing nuts" are simply a PO's way of dealing with the original plastic knobs failing after 40 years. The replacement knobs are available from Bomar/Pompanette for a price. Perhaps they can wait until hose clamps have been replaced.
Replacement screens are also available from the above and given the summer bug menace, they might be a priority. The frames do get brittle over time and should be removed carefully if new screen material is installed on old frames in the future.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Congrats. She looks good. I've had my h30 '77 Cherubini for over 21 years. Love her. Will try and be of any help that I can. Send more pics, inside and out. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

May 27, 2004
Big box stores sell trim called "Screen Molding". It about 1/4 " thick and 3/4 " wide wood in 8 ft lengths. Paintable and stainable. They also sell screen material and wood glue. You may need to go to West Marine or online to get real brass or stainless steel angle brackets.

Put your hatch boards on a flat surface as they would be in the slot on the cabin and measure each edge's length and each corner's angle. Cut two sets of moulding strips to match. Lay hatch boards aside. Place first set of strips on flat surface, flat side down in proper orientation. Place angle brackets at each corner. Secure each bracket with screws only to, not through, the wood.
Go have a Beer.
Place the uncut screen material on a flat surface as big as the frame. Lay the frame, flat side down, onto the screen and mark the outer edge of the frame on the screen. Cut screen and turn the frame over. Clamp the screen material to the flat side of the frame at each corner. Use wood glue and the already partially affixed screws to attach the screen and the second set of moulding strips to the frame permanently. You're making a sandwich. The wood can then be stained or painted. I also sealed the wood frame with two part clear epoxy.

You want deluxe?
Extend your screen material at the top edge before cutting to cover the open hatch slider area as well. No frame, just attach velcro to that section at the edge of the screen and to the underside edge of the open hatch lip with contact cement.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'll have to see what remains of a water heater on my boat. I hadn't looked behind the sink. Thanks for the info.

I can imagine the whole fresh water system on this boat will need "refreshing". I have the original aluminum water tank. The diaframe pressure pump still runs. Yet to try any water in that system. That should be a whole adventure unto itself... Currently, I carry 1 gallon water jugs. The drains work... Hahaha.

Great ideas on screens. Those may happen prior to water system - I hate bug bites...

I've been thinking to cast in structural epoxy new knobs for the windows. I just need a model. Not high on the priority list - function first and wing nuts work just fine...

Thanks all. I'll be gone from the boat for a couple weeks due to work and wife's family obligations. She has promised me that the rest of this summers weekends will be on the lake! Gota love that!

dj