J

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Keeping my fingers crossed for you that its just seal and not the shaft log. Seeing hack-job repairs like that makes me literally face-palm... I would plan for the worst and hope for the best. When you have her out of the water pull the prop, sand/grind away all that crap foam, cut the old seal off and remove the shaft... see what the story is.
personally, I wouldn't want to risk it so I'd get a piece of G-10 tube and replace the shaft log, laying up carefully with new fiberglass and epoxy to restore and strengthen the area. Careful to maintain shaft log alignment... And since I over-engineer everything, I'd remove as much as possible from the area so I could repaint the bilge. One quart of Interlux Bilge Kote goes really far.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Welcome aboard, Andrew. You'll get lots of advice here. Anyway, are you sure it's not the packing nut that's dripping? That's an easy, in the water, fix. But from the looks of it, I have to concur with CloudDiver. Had the same problem with my shaft log dripping. This is an out of the water fix. Had to completely replace the shaft log then went with a dripless seal. You will get lots of pros and cons on that. Another thread. But, if your packing nut is readily accessible, I would stay with that. First thing, though, is to stop the drip until you can pull her out. Good luck. Keep us posted.

May 12, 2004
Replacing the log should not be all that difficult. I had the yard do it while I was re-powering. They had a SS tube manufactured and set in. The realignment is the tricky part. Boat has to sit in the water for a couple of days for the hull to get back to it's original shape, first. Maybe leave that to the pros so you have some recourse in case the alignment isn't quite right.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Under the "Look under the Duct Tape" rule of boat acquisition, the problem probably is where there was a half a**ed repair. I'm glad you got it cheap 'cause this could get expensive. If possible and if you can get the yard to cooperate, you could remove that foam material while the boat is in the slings but still in the water. I would take a chisel and go at it. You will discover where the leak is. If it is the hose you'll save a lot. It would be worth a nice tip to the lift operator. Also, if you have to remove the rudder see if you can do that while the boat is in the sling but out of the water. That could save you from digging a hole.
BTW welcome and congratulations - you are already blaming the PO, which is almost a sport around here.

Sep 8, 2014
Nice looking C-27! I'm guessing she is a post 1986? While you are on the hard is a good time to go after the gelcoat and do a nice compounding to get it to a like new shine. A deWalt variable speed buffer is worth the investment, about $179 on amazon.
I'm not trying to take away from what others have suggested about the yard doing the shaft log repair... definitely a plus on your time and making sure the alignment is correct. I'm just saying don't be afraid to DIY if you have the tools and skills, just be very careful to preserve the shaft log alignment. I would assess what the yard will charge and what you are being charge for storage on the hard. If yard time is cheap, I'd do it myself. If yard time is expensive, I'd pay them to do it and get her back in the water asap.
While you are dry, check the hull for condition of bottom paint and evidence of blisters. If you need new bottom paint anyway (and yard time is cheap) I would get the bottom blasted or sand it clean to the gelcoat and let her dry out for awhile. If any blisters are evidenet, grind 'em and epoxy filler/patch them, then give the bottom a new barrier coat, 3 gallons of Interlux Interprotect 2000E. After sanding clean, but before the barrier coat, check the hull/keel joint and condition of keel bolts & Keel stub. Depending on your year of C-27, you might want to check if they were still using plywood as the core material in the stub. Other C-27 owners dropped the keel, dug out the rotten wood and replaced it with layers of G10 sheet plus epoxy, reinforced the stub with a few layers of glass/epoxy, then re-drilled the keel bolt holes. If you find there are no leaks from the keel bolts and the stub wood is not rotted, best thing is to over-drill the holes one size and fill with epoxy to seal them, then re-drill to original size.
LOL... I don't mean to scare you, but these are things worth checking. If yard storage is cheap, do it now and it will increase your resale value when want a bigger boat down the road! (and you will.... haha)

Sep 8, 2014
Yup... on an 84 you'll have a plywood core in the keel stub. I would recommend checking those keel bolts for leaks/rust. There are several pages on the web and this forum where people have done that exact repair, just google Catalina 27 Keel and you will find them.

Sep 8, 2014
I wonder if they where already done because the bolts look brand new in the bilge not a speck of rust on them
Thats great news... probably not leaking then so there shouldn't be any damage to the core. Worth asking the P.O. is any work was ever done on it just to be sure. If you decide to do the bottom paint and end up sanding off or blasting off all the old stuff, inspect the hull/keel joint. If its good, don't mess with it.

Sep 8, 2014
Are you missing the original cushions? U
The PO was a old man that didn't know anything about the boat he hurt his back and needed gas money back to Texas. I need to find who owned it before him. I'm hoping when I take it out the bottom paint is in good shape if not I'll defiantly do it before she goes back in the water. Might throw my dive gear on and check the bottom out this weekend just for fun.

Another question is there anywhere online that's tells you the dimensions of all the cushions inside?
usually when people do new covers they have the originals and re-use the foam, or at least use the old ones as templates to cut new foam. If yours are missing I would say be very careful trying to cut new ones from drawings, there are some tricky angles. Best thing to do would be get a wide roll of brown paper and make templates.
For the future:
- Check eBay and craigslist, people sell used cushions all the time. The C27 is popular, so there are many out there.
- Get a used industrial grade sewing machine off craigslist, I got mine for $200. Learn how to use it, its fun and its a VERY valuable skill. You can make your own cushions and also things like sail covers, dodgers, bimi's, etc.
- A temporary fix, go to Lowes or Home Depot and get cushions for outdoor furniture, they are usually made of Sunbrella fabric. It is a good alternative and much cheaper until you find used/have made new/or make new yourself.

May 12, 2004
What did they charge you to do the log?
If I can ever find the invoice from 8 years ago I will let you know. However, that was 8 years ago. The log itself isn't that big of a deal for a machine shop to manufacture. Check around after you remove the old one. If you even need to.

Sep 8, 2014
I've got a family member that can do it. I have all the cushions besides one. So hopefully should be easy enough
If you are only missing one cushion it should be easy to figure out how to cut a new piece of foam for it, especially it is just a rectangle. For the interior cushions, you can really just go to a local fabric store and find something you like, it does not have to be sunbrella brand. Also consider online discount shopping if you know what are getting (don't guess). Something water resistant is ideal, even interior cushions can get wet (and probably will). If you do cockpit cushions, definitely use sunbrella or something you know is designed for UV exposure, cockpit cushions will take a beating from the sun.

Sep 8, 2014
BTW, Stingy Sailor has a good write up on his website about making new cushions for a C-22. He has a materials list for the quantity of fabric yards he used. The C22 is a bit smaller, but the cushions are similar to the C27. You'd probably need to add 15-20% of what he used.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
That's about to change.
lol...
my 7k catalina 27 probably cost me over 20k more!
new sails
new sail cover
new cushions
new curtains
new running rigging
new lifelines
new galley faucet
new head faucet
new toilet
new raw water pump
new freshwater hoses
freshwater clean/ports added
new voltmeter
alternator rewired
new blower
new bilge pump
new battery charger
new lpg & stove
bottom sanded down to gel coat
gel coat boot stripe repainted
new propshaft, coupler, cutlass bearing
new stuffing box
new autopilot
new engine hoses and fuel lines
new garmin gps
new vhf
bow cleats rebedded/inspection port added
new lifeline
new horshoebuoy
new life jackets
new anchor stem
new nav lights
new hatch knobs
new fire extinguisher LED
exterior teak restored
hatches rebedded/painted
new sink drain
new fenders
new dock lines
old reg stickers removed
new wheel brake
new shore power cord
new ice box liner
new macerator
new head gfci
new rubline
2 new anchors
new water heater thermostat
new compass binnacle
anchor hatch repair
new mast cleats
throttle cable adjustment
new stereo
new cabin fan
new 12 v lighter socket
new solar
new barometer
winches rebuilt
new table hinge
new head vented loop
furler repaired
new muffler
new fuel injectors
new racor filter
engine governor spring replaced
new starter switch
new blower switch
new panel alarm
rebedded chainplate
rebedded bow pulpit
new traveler cam cleats
new fishing pole holder
2 new deep cycle batteries in parallel
1 starter backup battery
new battery combiner
new terminal fuses on batteres
new battery tie down straps
new dedicated ground bus
new K&N air filter

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
You paid someone to take your reg stickers off?

Just checked the bottom paint today and it looks new so hoping once I get it out of the water that is the case.
95% of the work i did myself. The exceptions were making the cushions, sanding the bottom, installing lifelines, and stuff that involved climbing the mast. Those old reg stickers took hours to remove with a heat gun!