Just bought a Catalina 22!

Discussion in 'Catalina 22' started by iamwhatiam, Apr 16, 2019. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    708 posts, 367 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    yup to what Gene sez...add a 1 to your hull number, 4555 would be very early model....(and chk your title and sail number too)...+ 1 to more pics!

2. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Joined Apr 16, 2019
    14 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 22
    Redeemed US Bellingham
    I could have sworn that's the number that was etched into the hull. It's what I wrote down, and it's what was on the title. I will have to double check.

3. Scott T-Bird

Scott T-Bird

Joined Oct 26, 2008
    3,900 posts, 894 likes
    Starwind 27
    US Barnegat, NJ
    Well, a Catalina 22 is what started the whole ball rolling for S/V Delos. Check out their YouTube channel. You'll be seeking the horizon in no time!

Grotto and iamwhatiam like this.
  4. Grotto

Grotto

Joined Feb 18, 2018
    88 posts, 56 likes
    Catalina 22
    Firefly Us Wilmington nc
    Delos was the inspiration for my wife to Green light our c22 project!!!

iamwhatiam and Scott T-Bird like this.
  5. T_Cat

T_Cat

Joined Aug 8, 2014
    311 posts, 67 likes
    Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke"
    US Modesto CA
    Nice find! Welcome to the "Club"

iamwhatiam likes this.
  6. jberc

jberc

Joined Dec 27, 2018
    3 posts, 2 likes
    Catalina 22
    13963 US Lake of the Ozarks, MO
    There should be a metal plate in the cockpit with the hull number stamped on it, assuming of course it's not also printed in big black numbers on your mainsail. My VIN plate is right under the tiller inside the cockpit. I'm also a first time C22 owner of a 1987 New Design, Hull#13963.
    This place is has an awesome amount of resources from owners who've already made every mistake you're ever going to. I've learned a ton just passively reading threads and found and fixed stuff I wouldn't have known to be broken after I saw something here that looked familiar. Best of luck to both of us in our first season.

Will Gilmore and iamwhatiam like this.
  7. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Joined Apr 16, 2019
    14 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 22
    Redeemed US Bellingham
    Thank you! And you as well! Going to do my first overnight trip on her tomorrow. Too excited!

DayDreamer41, rpludwig, jberc and 2 others like this.
  8. Hardhead

Hardhead

Joined Apr 11, 2017
    315 posts, 119 likes
    Catalina C22
    US Solomon's Island, MD
    That is an exceptionally good looking C22 - congratulations! Nice boat-

iamwhatiam likes this.
  9. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Joined Apr 16, 2019
    14 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 22
    Redeemed US Bellingham
    You're most definitely right. Checked the plate on the inside of the transom and also the sails say in big black letters 14555. Have to go to the registration office and get that fixed on the title.

10. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Joined Apr 16, 2019
    14 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 22
    Redeemed US Bellingham
    Your wish is my command!
    Just got back from the first overnight trip. Cruised on over to an island that has a boat in only campground (no roads lead to it). Beautiful spot. Was 7 miles across to get to it and the weather was pretty gusty so I just motored there. You seasoned sailors would probably have scoffed, but I didn't feel comfortable hoisting the sails in those conditions being my first time. Waves were crashing over the bow and my clothes got fucking soaked in sea spray. First lesson learned: 1)Always prepare for the worst and don't fully trust weather forecasts. I'll keep raingear on board for sure from now on. Other lessons learned: 2) Quarter the bigger waves instead of heading straight into them. 3) It's good to have a second anchor on board and extra line. The spot we spent the night was tight so definitely needed a stern line tied to shore to keep the boat from swinging into the rocks during tide changes. All in all, the trip went smoothly, I learned a lot, and I even pulled into the slip back at the marina without hitting anyone/anything!
    Lummi4.jpg Lummi1.jpg Lummi2.jpg Lummi3.jpg bruceandshadow mtbaker.jpg 039.JPG

Last edited: May 1, 2019
  11. JRT

JRT

Joined Feb 14, 2017
    1,169 posts, 389 likes
    Catalina 310
    211 US Lake Guntersville, AL
    Congrats! You can easily have your head sail hank on before you leave and use some line to secure it. I did this with my sails for possible changes.

iamwhatiam likes this.
  12. Jim26m

Jim26m

Joined Apr 3, 2019
    52 posts, 36 likes
    Macgregor 26M
    P Cub Boo US Mobile AL
    Great looking spot to overnight! Looks like a blast.

iamwhatiam likes this.
  13. rpludwig

rpludwig

Joined May 23, 2016
    708 posts, 367 likes
    Catalina 22 #12502
    US BSC
    congrats.....sweet anchorage spot!!!

iamwhatiam likes this.
  14. Tom J

Tom J

Joined Sep 30, 2008
    1,414 posts, 309 likes
    Catalina 310
    US Quincy, MA
    Congratulations. Spectacular place to sail or just hang out!

iamwhatiam likes this.
  15. mark rocco

mark rocco

Joined Apr 3, 2015
    62 posts, 6 likes
    catalina catalina 22
    US Carolina beach NC
    congrats...looks like a nice looking boat... you will have a great time..and a great learning frontier...my first boat 1980 Catalina 22..still have her still learning!..as far as the black hole...maybe a rainbow of good time and adventure!!!

iamwhatiam likes this.
  16. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    1,324 posts, 659 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Port Huron
    @iamwhatiam welcome to the best "family" of sailors you can possibly imagine, seems you have a wonderful trou noir of which we throw money into. If I were you though I would definitely find better adjectives to describe getting wet from spray, the English language is a wonderful tool to describe ones adventures.

iamwhatiam likes this.
  17. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,777 posts, 1,372 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    Bra-VO, my friend!! Your first outing, and I'm already jealous of you! A boat-in-only campground?? What a concept, and what beautiful surroundings for it! I spent a few days in Bellingham, many years ago, but there was a young lady involved ... so I never left the house. ;)

By the way ... one thing no "seasoned sailor" (and I am definitely not one) will ever scoff at is CAUTION. You got there and back with nothing worse than wet clothes, and had a great time?? Sounds like great seamanship to me!! :thumbup:

18. Grotto

Grotto

Joined Feb 18, 2018
    88 posts, 56 likes
    Catalina 22
    Firefly Us Wilmington nc
    Congrats on your first outing. Sometimes a reefed main and motor sailing is actually easier going than motoring and bashing into the waves.

iamwhatiam likes this.
  19. pclarksurf

pclarksurf

Joined Jul 13, 2015
    538 posts, 294 likes
    Catalina 22 #2552
    US Kennewick, WA
    Save me some of those San Juans! coming in August --- that my friend is cruising paradise #PNW

iamwhatiam likes this.
  20. iamwhatiam

iamwhatiam

Joined Apr 16, 2019
    14 posts, 28 likes
    Catalina 22
    Redeemed US Bellingham
    It really is! So many islands to explore and little anchorages to duck in to

Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!