Jupiter & St. Lucie Inlets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
Does anyone have local knowledge of entry(from the ocean) of Jupiter and St. Lucie Inlets?

Dec 4, 2010
hunter 31 tampa area
I have tournament fished out of each. Of the two St. Lucie is way friendlier and a breeze honestly. Very wide and little current. Jupiter not so much. It is constantly changing and there seem to always be new buoys set by Mr, Magoo. Lots of switchbacks etc. The run inside is beautiful so I would opt for St. Lucie. The one even the locals avoid is the next one north of St Lucie. Sebastian has made many boaters landlubbers for good.

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
Breaking Inlets

If you aren't familiar with the hazards of runnng inlets in a sailboat I suggest reading the chapter in Chapman's "Piloting, Seamanship, and Small Boat Handling" titled "Seamanship in Breaking Inlets". In a nutshell he says that you should ride in on the back of a breaking wave. That's easily done in a power boat which can maintain roughly 15 mph. But "sailboats and auxilliaries, as a rule, should be kept out of breaking inlets." because they cannot.

May 16, 2007
Boatless ! 26 Ottawa, Ontario
The St Lucie Inlet has been called the most dangerous inlet on the US east coast !
I think the writer above has confused the St Lucie and Jupiter inlets. They always seem to have a dredge running in St Lucie. As you come in to St Lucie from the ocean there are huge signs "dangerous inlet, local knowledge required".
Go up north to Fort Peirce, much safer.
Bob

Mar 5, 2011
Seafarer 31 Yawl Tall Rig Melbourne, Florida
Sebastian inlet is very treturous and has a low bridge (38ft). Has taken many a power boat to the bottom. I surf there and seen boat get sucked under.

Fort Peirce looks like it is an easier inlet to make passage. I hope to make sail out of Fort Peirce to Port Carnival then back to Melbourne for a long range shack down cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.