Job interview

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Gawd.... my sons girl friend.. Funny!!!! (or at least I think its funny until it dawns on me that she is still his girl friend..).. OK that is FUNNY!!!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
But not only women.. had a few injun-ears (male and female) in the last few years that couldn't quite figure out how to be at the 7AM planning meetings each day.. Funny but in a tragic kind of way..

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Didn't see much odd about that. Sort of reminded me of my last job interview.

"No, I'm not working for that money, come back when you can pay at least half what I'm worth."
"No, I'm only working 2 days a week. And no meetings before 9:30 and I leave at 2:30"

And they hired me. :D

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Millennials will over time completely change the way people think about work. Both of my sons are millennials, and their ability to multitask, and squeeze work in between their other interests is so different from when I grew up it is shocking. They have never known a world without the internet, and have been using it since they were in elementary school.

Eldest son (21) is nearing college graduation with a double major in physics and applied mathematics, but can't seem to get out of bed before noon. My youngest (18) just graduated high school yesterday and is starting college in 2 weeks working towards a degree in genetic engineering. Half the time I see him at home he is in front of his computer gaming with friends online.

Both of them can code software and built their own computers from scratch. They know how to work their butts off, but they also value their free time and work hard to make their schedules flexible so that they can enjoy their other interests (Sailing, Fishing, Scuba Diving, Video Games, etc).

I don't know how well they will fit into the working society of today, but more and more companies are trying to allow this generation to fit. Flexible schedules, work from home, online careers, etc. The amount of continual connectivity these kids are used to allows for a lot of flexibility.

I know the OP's video is meant to be a joke, but it makes a different point as well. That young girl will probably never really fit into a rigid career like banking or accounting, and hopefully she recognizes that. But if I were trying to market something online, or develop a new product, she would be someone to hire.

As I see it, the world of the future is going to be less about stability, and more about creativity and flexibility. Those that can think on their feet, and are flexible enough to take advantage of the opportunities they recognize, and the skills they learn, are going to succeed.

I look forward to living in the world they create.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Pateco, I love the way you think. I can't say I agree with all your points, but the upcoming population will work because, like the rest of us, they will do what they need to do, but only if they need to do it. Otherwise, they will make the world work for them. Some will be more successful in their world than others.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 21, 2016
san juan 7.7 wabamun
I showed that video to my sons when they went job hunting. I also told them, this is your competition!
It greatly reduced their stress and nervousness in the interview. They both got the first job they interviewed for.
But I also agree with @pateco. The world and hiring market are changing. My oldest looked at a " for hire" ad that specified video gaming skills as a requirement. Going so far as needing to be on a top "x" world ranking in various games. This was for a vehicle sales position.
I'm only 44 and already fallen behind. The world is moving pretty fast! Time to go sailing and slow things down

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I don't think it is a generational thing, but an attitude developed during the ages 10-16, normally.

True story: ≈1983 . My company built a new Chemical Plant and agreed to Job train the locals, from grass roots to say "top welder" over 2 years, thus building a work force from scratch.

A Mechanical Supervisor was alerted by HR, that one of his top mechanics was missing every Friday.
Supervisor: "I see you have missed nearly 10 Fridays in a row"
Mechanic: "Yes, sir"
Supervisor: "Why are you missing on Fridays?"
Mechanic: "Well, sir, I found I couldn't make ends meet unless I also worked Thursdays.":doh:

He was put on probation, but eventually left from "excess work".
Jim...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That video is such a sad stereotypical generation bashing cliche'. I couldn't even finish it,... :)

Both of my millennial kids are now working at great jobs. They were hard jobs to get. They got them solely on how they interviewed (according to those hiring them). Punctual, polite, bright, eager, that gets you the job. That will never change.

The one thing she said that was right, is facebook is for boomers. My kids are never on facebook.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
facebook is for boomers.
I had not heard that before, but in considering it, I began to realize that Facebook has helped Boomers become users (hooked) of their computers, the internet, and social media.
In the beginning of computer use there were games introduced to engage the user in this new tool. I remember pong, Hammurabi, Oregon Trail to name a couple.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Funny! but a sad commentary on the concept of any kind of a work ethic.
Fortunately both of my sons are early risers and hard workers.
One, a manager in a large organization worked his way up the chain from an entry level position, is now trying to hire someone for a similar entry level job. He is frustrated because the potential hires come in demanding $100K starting salaries (because they have student loans to pay off), don’t like the early start times and the occasional long hours, and they want a company car.

The other son, a professional truck driver, works long hours, likes his job, never misses work, never complains, and has gained enough seniority to earn some extra benefits.

Aug 20, 2010
Oday 27 Oak Orchard
The world is changing fast and I am loving the changes. The days of live to work are fast slipping into extinction with work to live becoming the new normal. Flat wages, constant tedium, terror at the prospect of job loss and the inane concept of success are being redefined on a daily basis. Bravo to the new generation for having the guts to change the paradigm.

Oct 22, 2014
I watched the video several months ago. With my 1960-1970’s glasses I framed the experience in much the same way as the interviewer. With an open mouth and confusion as to what I was hearing.
But throughout the 80’s and 90’s the change in workplace conditions, as in the internet bubble campuses of Silicon Valley, have shown a new model can succeed. So who knows what this current generation of producers will or will not accomplish.
For now I just want enough of them to contribute enough to Social Security funds so I can follow @LeslieTroyer encourgement and retire to full time sailing.
The need to instant-text-face-twerk-snap anything is much less when I’m on the water and there is wind in the sails.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
He is frustrated because the potential hires come in demanding $100K starting salaries
Right out of furniture trade school, I was hired at $5.05/hr. The same wage they would have given a laborer off the street. The reason given, I'd never worked in a cabinet shop before. I worked there one day after they refused to negotiate. My one day at Cumberland Farms paid better.

It's all market driven.

- Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The world is changing fast and I am loving the changes. The days of live to work are fast slipping into extinction with work to live becoming the new normal. Flat wages, constant tedium, terror at the prospect of job loss and the inane concept of success are being redefined on a daily basis. Bravo to the new generation for having the guts to change the paradigm.
Well said of today's reality in the workforce. Our daughter, an IR major took an interesting job in the high end construction field in Manhattan. I thought she was given a quite an opportunity. After over 2 years, she was offered a position at another, smaller firm. That's expected in this field as it's very competitive.

I felt the old pull of loyalty to the first firm... She didn't. She weighed her options at the two firms, her future with each, how they treat their employees (that is a new focus of this generation), etc. A young woman in this field is rare and sexism - how each option differed for her - was a major part of her decision.

She left the old firm amicably, got what she wanted from the new, and in just over a year she has doubled her salary and benefits as she manages all the firms projects in Manahattan.

She gets what I think is a lot of time off. I need crew to sail to Mystic Conn. next month. She wants to go and can get the time off, no problem.

Oct 22, 2014
Happy for you the proud Papa. It is a thing of passage to see our children succeed in their world.
That she can find the time and wants to take it off is a credit to you. No Harry Chapin story in your house.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I spent my early years working AND taking time to go on school trips with my kids. Even though I cherish the memories I’ll be one of the few whose tombstone ought to read, “I should have spent more time at the office.”

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
She gets what I think is a lot of time off. I need crew to sail to Mystic Conn. next month. She wants to go and can get the time off, no problem.
I've had a few jobs in which time off was not a problem, nor was it tallied. In both those jobs, I accomplished far more than the more traditional, and rigid work schedule jobs. BTW - I'm 61 years old. The better jobs for me were those that utilized my leading edge skills. The more rigid jobs were populated with people who wanted to remain in yesteryear and resisted progress.