Jiffy reefing mainsail

Oct 10, 2008
Catalina 28 Island Heights, NJ
Can anyone recommend a jiffy reefing system (kit) for the mainsail on my 1991 Catalina 28 ? Would like to be able to raise and lower the main from the cockpit with as little trouble as possible. Thanks !

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
First you must decide if you want a single line or two line system..... Rather than look for a "kit" I would decide the configuration first, then research the best source for parts.

Here's an interesting article from Sail Magazine about upgrading your reefing system, but it will also be valuable to the initiate planning his first installation

http://www.sailmagazine.com/diy/sails/update-your-reefing/

Apr 13, 2007
Catalina 27 TR Lorain, Ohio
I use plan B

On my C-27 TR I set up a jiffy reef like that shown in 'B'. I tied blocks to the reef grommets on the sail (only has one reef point) and down to a turning block at the base of the mast to a deck organize (had one already with an open sleeve) and back to a cleat on the cabintop. Most of this I already had. I just had to buy some 5/16 line. Works great. I sometimes have to pull the boom end down taught by hand but that's OK, I'm still in the cockpit. It's a bit easier to do at the dock. So if I THINK it may need a reef I do it. If I get out there and I don't its very easy to take out with this system. Key is the blocks on the sails. Just going through the grommets has too much friction and chaffs the line.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Bill as the others showed in their diagrams you can create the jiffy reefing system yourself. You don't have to buy one, as most sailors don't buy them. The most important items to have are 1. the sails must already have grommets installed to run the lines through, which are usually always set up for two reefing points on any decent mainsail. Second if the boom does not already have a cleat installed to cleat off the reefing line, then drill & tap holes in the boom to receive the screws for the cleat, at the end of the boom. The cleat is best installed at a point that you can reach from the cockpit. You will likely find that there is too much friction to reef the sail completely from the cockpit. Also, unless you have your main halyard rigged on turning blocks back to the cockpit, you will have to go up to the mast to release the halyard slowly to lower the mainsail. If this is the case, then the cleat to secure the reefing lines is better mounted mid way on the boom or closer to within reach of the mast, so that it can be reached from the upper deck area. The reefing line running to the cockpit is pointless, if the main halyard is not also accessible from the cockpit. Lines running to the cockpit sound good, but in reality there is a LOT of tension & increased friction & resistance from the additional turning blocks that can make raising & lowering of sails really difficult when the boat is healing & under strain. That's why I've never found a boat that was truly "single handed" sailing. It's really best to have a first mate who can raise & lower sails while there is a capt. at the helm. I used to own an S-2 28 ft. sailboat, much like the C-28, & it could be a bear to raise & lower the sails, even though they were rigged to the cockpit. After a few decades the sheaves at the top of the mast start to corrode & add a lot of friction resistance. I find that the old winch mounted to the mast is still the best way to raise & lower older sails. Sail-cote type graphite based lubricants do help reduce the friction of the main sail slugs riding along in the mast. My 2 c.