Jib track

D7764

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Drive way
Hi everyone, I don't mean to bother you all, but I need some information. I just bought a Hunter 18.5 that had been sitting for over a year. I know very little about sailing, but I will learn. I might not know all of the parts yet, but the furling jib ? Main halyard ? Mast securing line is a plastic track, and it was tied down on the mast and is now deformed. I have tried putting tension on it in the hot Alabama sun for a week to no avail. I don't even know what to call it for a search to buy another one. Help...please and thank you.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think you might be talking about the roller furling tracks.
A picture would really help. But if I’m right. And you are talking about the plastic tracks that are covering your forward stay, Then don’t worry about it. It will straighten out when you attach the fore stay to the bow’s chain plate as you raise the mast in place

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
That’s a CDI furler. That’s their one piece plastic extrusion. I’ve been a CDI distributor for a long time and have sold a lot of them.

There is no way I know of to straighten it out. It will not straighten out by itself while installed. A heat gun won’t do it either. The only way to get rid of that curve is to buy a replacement foil.

Judy

D7764

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Drive way
Thanks for explanation. Now where do I get it, and can I just buy the track?
This great, I bet y'all are going to get tired of my questions.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
You can buy a replacement extrusion. But you need to confirm what size furler you have before you can order a replacement. You can find the specs for the FF1 (and FF2) here:

http://www.sailcdi.com/flexible-furlers.

The length and diameter of the forestay determines which size CDI you should have on your boat. (But don't assume a prior owner installed the right size. Check it yourself)

FF1

Main Stay Length: 21'
Maximum Wire Size: 1/8"
Luff Dimensions: 0.5" x 1.3" Luff Tape: #6
Drum Diameter: 3.5"
Turnbuckle Size: 1/4"

FF2
Main Stay Length: 29'
Maximum Wire Size: 3/16"
Luff Dimensions: 0.6" x 1.4" Luff Tape: #6
Drum Diameter: 4"
Turnbuckle Size: 1/4" - 5/16"

As you can see from the above, the FF1 takes a 1/8" diameter wire, and the plastic luff extrusion is 0.5 x 1.3"
The FF2 takes up to 3/16" diameter, and the plastic luff extrusion is bigger, 0.6 x 1.4".

Also, looking at that picture, it's unusual to find the black plastic slider on an FF1 or FF2. The black sliders came on the FF6 and larger models. So that's making me question what size the luff dimension is. I hope it's not a big sized FF6 which somebody cut down to use on your little Hunter.

The FF1 and FF2 extrusions are different sizes, so you'll need to confirm the size of the plastic luff which fits into the drum at the bottom. A picture of the drum with dimensions would be good too. It's a little difficult to tell how old the drum is from that picture.

The SBO chandlery can probably order the replacement part for you, or you can find it elsewhere on line.

D7764

Jul 1, 2018
Hunter 18.5 Drive way
Ok, the extrusion is .6 x 1.425, 1/4-20 thread with 1/8" cable and the drum is 3.5". The black slider does not slide very well. And let's not call it a little hunter yet, I haven't taken it out to see other bigger boats yet. I think I should remove the extrusion to work on it. Turns out that the place that I bought the boat from is a CDI dealer. I will call that cat if I have to. Not knowing a thing about boats, he should not have sold me a bum furler. If I have to get a new one, Do I need the smaller extrusion, and would that fit my plastic parts?

Attachments

Last edited: