Jib Sheets...Ugh.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Everyone,
Good evening! I hope y'all had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and are enjoying yourselves! Tomorrow, my brother and I are going to sail Valiant and surprise our Skipper out on the water; as far as he knows, we're not able to make the sail with the other Scouts tomorrow, so it'll be interesting to see the look on his face when we start running circles around him on the bay, haha. Anyway, last weekend, I found it quite annoying every time the sheet knot on the clew of the genoa was getting caught on the shrouds. I did all I could to try and prevent the issue from happening, but nothing really helped all too much. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to keep this from happening?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I found it quite annoying every time the sheet knot on the clew of the genoa was getting caught on the shrouds. I did all I could to try and prevent the issue from happening, but nothing really helped all too much. Does anyone have any recommendations as to how to keep this from happening?
You just missed an entire thread on the knots. A search should find it.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
What are you using Simon?

The simplest I've seen is a cow hitch on a single continuous sheet, but I'm not a fan of that knot for that application. Maybe double the bite or whip it.
If you are using two sheets, you can whip them together.
My last thought is rigging tape. But keep it simple, whatever you do.

Good luck.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
I made up shackles of dyneema for my genoa sheets because no matter what I used they were hanging up on the shrouds. Also I spliced loops in the ends of the sheets The dyneema shackles are kind of pricy to buy but it’s pretty simple to make your own and a nice winter project. I’ve been using mine for three seasons and keep an eye on them but I see no signs of wear so far.

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Mine are a single line with a simple luggage tag on the clew. If you have separate sheets and are using a bowling, see if you can make the loops as small as possible. It may be the case of something you havev to deal with for now until you can do a different knot/line combination .

Nov 13, 2013
Catalina 34 Tacoma
Since I have two sheet lines, I use a bowline on each. Easy to take on and off for storage a season end. It only hangs in very light wind.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
When using shroud covers some ventilation to limit corosion is a good thing also. especially near the adjusters/turnbuckles.
P1030125.jpg

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
In my experience this happens when, during the tack, the person taking in the sheet gets ahead of the sail and drags it across the shrouds. The proper way to do it is to let the wind carry the sail across while taking in most of the slack. Maybe it’s just technique.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Notice the difference, Jon has shroud rollers that do not cover the shroud fittings. When I brought my rigger aboard the boat for the first time he took a look at the previous owners fancy aluminum shroud tubes and said “we need to make them go away, they keep salt on the swages and conceal corrosion”. OK chief!