Jib pulley -seized

TheTY

Jun 21, 2016
Hunter 380 Collingwood Ontario
I have a 2000 Hunter 380 and the pulley in the mast that the topping lift for the jib goes through to hoist the sail is seized and very hard to get to in order to lubrciate it. Has anyone experienced this and have a solution?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
TY, Are you saying the halyard that hoists the jib is binding at the top of the mast?
Typically halyards run over sheaves that are located in the mast and accessed thru a mast sheave box. Your boat is a fractional rigged boat so access is below the mast head. You have several options to resolve a blockage of the jib sheave.
  1. Go up the mast using one of the other halyards and a bosan's chair. Take up tools and lube. Examine the problem area. Decide on the best course of action to resolve the problem. Work the plan.
  2. Hire a rigger to solve the problem.
  3. Take the mast down and resolve the problem on the ground.
Of these I would suggest option 1 or 2 - Inspect the mast sheave box. This is based on how you describe the problem.

You might check first if it is not a wrapped jib halyard. Sometimes we wrap the jib halyard over the forestay then try to haul the jib up it gets most of the way but those last couple of feet become a bear. Then we add to the problem by wrapping the jib halyard around the winch and really haul it up... It has been my experience that sails and halyards can usually be hoisted by hand if all of the leads are fair, except on very large boats where the sail weigh more then you do.

Check the leads for the halyards. If all is correct, then check the halyard itself. It may be chafed. Check that the sail luff is clean, not chafed. The sail foil track is clean. After this you may have to climb the mast... Enjoy the experience. The view may be exciting.

TheTY

Jun 21, 2016
Thank you for your suggestions John. I have been up the mast via bosan chair and the pulley inside the mast is seized. (I assume it is a pulley) I tried getting at it with a lubricant but it is very difficult to get to and even see and was hoping there was another way to get at it. The track for the sail is free and the sail will slide up quite easily except for the pulley. I really don't want to take the mast down, it was difficult enough putting it up and I still don't have it turned properly yet.
Thanks again and I can see another trip up the mast. And yes the view is quite nice..
Ty

TheTY

Jun 21, 2016
Thanks John and Joe, "sheaves" I couldn't think of what it was called but the music will really help in the future. I really need to get to the "top" of things (get it, top) anyway, thanks for your help, the picture and advice. It's appreciated more than you can imagine. Ty