jib height while racing

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
When racing a flat decked boat, with a jib that has, say, 6 inches of variable hoist height...would you prefer to raise it fully? Or adjust it lower, to where it just barely sweeps the deck?
Would the wind speed alter the answer?
Thank you for any input.

Last edited:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I'd keep the foot low so that the deck creates an end plate effect.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Thank you Ted. That would be my thought also. I was just wondering if there were ever circumstances that might favor raising it fully.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Fractional. 18' Y-Flyer sloop. Scow-like.
Whoa, I don't think I've ever seen one of those; cool boat! She looks fast, too; I would personally keep the jib low, maybe just a quarter-inch off the foredeck so that there's little to no chance the foot could get caught on anything.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Raising the headsail 6" might yield a slight benefit going downwind. It is a known fact that wind speed aloft is greater than at the surface of the water. On a 23 foot boat like yours, there isn't enough height to make a difference. In this instance, dropping the sail to the deck would be your best option upwind.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
Simon - they are simple yet really fun boats to sail...will jump up on plane very quickly. fairly inexpensive secondhand. a nation wide one design class...but by far most popular on lakes in the midwest region.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
For any given amount of sail area, a lower CE (Center of Effort) is better. So keep it low. The plate effect also helps but only a tiny bit on your boat.

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
If the luff of the sail is under class measurement max length, get a new full size jib, deck to max hoist or max luff length. Go fast. I loved racing that boat years ago, but the bow will not punch through a wave, so weight aft.