JEN'-oh-uh or je-NOH'-uh?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The BFR is Elon Musk's biggest toy, SpaceX's Big F*%!ing Rocket.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
That’s what I thought. My research suggests Big Falcon Rocket. Talk about a letdown.
Then there's this, suggesting Big Falcon Rocket is just the family friendly "backronym".

"Yes, BFR stands for "Big F---ing Rocket." But there's also a family-friendly variant of the acronym, and it's coming into wider and wider use — as evidenced by SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell's remarks Thursday (Oct. 5) at the first meeting of the newly resurrected National Space Council."

I also like the NYTimes explanation - "The 'B' stands for 'big'; the 'R' is for 'rocket.'"

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Then there's this, suggesting Big Falcon Rocket is just the family friendly "backronym".

"Yes, BFR stands for "Big F---ing Rocket." But there's also a family-friendly variant of the acronym, and it's coming into wider and wider use — as evidenced by SpaceX President Gwynne Shotwell's remarks Thursday (Oct. 5) at the first meeting of the newly resurrected National Space Council."

I also like the NYTimes explanation - "The 'B' stands for 'big'; the 'R' is for 'rocket.'"
#bigsighofrelief
Thank you for the explanation and the link!

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Big Flying Jib = BFJ = Big head sail
Maybe;)

You can't say Genoa in Southern speak. 3 syllables.
Ginny works.:)

Jim...

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
And in German. IE and EI happen in equal measure in German words. 'Weird' is Germanic in origin!
Interesting. However, in German, the convention is that 'ie' is pronounced with a long e sound, as in our word 'cleat'; and 'ei' in German is pronounced with a long-i sound, as in our word 'aye'. So somewhere along the way, the pronunciation or the spelling of 'weird' got bastardized. (I almost used the word 'sky' to illustrate the long-i sound, but my Alabama neighbors wouldn't understand. To them, the wild blue yonder is called the 'skahh.')

How I say 'genoa' is however the skipper says it. On my boat, the small foresail is called 'jib', and the big one is called 'JEN-oh-ə.'

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Ginwa? That's that new noodle restaurant downtown.
NAW! You caint co-opt ar Suthern Axayant!

Dammit. I thought I got close til I realized I used “co-opt”...
That would never happen in the true South. Alas, I AM from Boca Raton... Florida.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Youse guys really need to launch your boats.
You are soooo right!
I sold my 272 yesterday. I have to do a little work and help launch it, but it is making me itchy to get started on boat work!