Javelin Resteration

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
I bought a 1979 Javelin in late October last season .I haven't sailed yet ,but spring is a good time to start . The first thing was removing it from the trailer ,next is rolling it on to its side and removing the centerboard ,then flipping it upside down. The boat bottom was painted with anti fouling paint, so that paint had to be removed first. Next was sanding and filling any holes ,I had some cracks in the gunwale so filled the also. The boat will be ready for gelcoat this weekend.

Attachments

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Flyingscot64 ,

Good morning! I've actually sailed one of these boats before and she was pretty quick, so this looks like a project worth while! I'm currently finishing up on restoring a '71 AMF Sunbird, which is a similar layout and rig, just with a cuddy-cabin. I don't know how much knowledge you have in restoration, so I'm sorry if I sound like a know-it-all, but be sure to check the centerboard and centerboard trunk for swelling; if the trunk is swollen, then you'll have to cut it all up and completely redo it, and at that point the boat isn't even really worth restoring.
The hull looks very nice, and so does the cockpit! It's pretty rare to find a boat like that with all the rigging in descent condition, too. If the mast and boom are painted and the paint is wearing off in spots, I would sand all the old paint down and just re-paint it with Rust-Oleum truck bed liner; a couple large spray cans of that stuff will cover all the spars, and keep the aluminum safe from the weather. Looks like a fun project; keep us updated!

God Bless,
S.S.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Javelin had a galvanized steel centerboard, it may rust... but won't swell (well, except from the layers of rust?). Mast was originally black-anodized, not paint.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
That looks like a pretty sweet boat. Great picnic and beach boat. The pictures look like there isn't a lot of work to do on her. I think you have a lucky find.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
For the experience part I am just the average diy guy Gel coat is not much of a user friendly product you have to have low humidity and a small window for temp so spring is the best. The center board is steel and fairly rusted pretty common for these boats , haven't decided what to do for sure there ,but you could get a few more years out of it. The anodizing is very dull but covered and not all scratched up . But if someone wanted to remove it you use brake cleaner of all things .As far as work it is just sanding and very little filling. The chips were just air pockets behind the gelcoat, hopefully those were all of them . I did save it though as the people had lost interest and left it uncovered ,and it had some water in it,from the port holes,if I hadn't come along it would of froze over the winter ,or rotted out the transom. It is a nice little boat and I think the best part is it has the rare padded seats .

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
The gel coat is on the boat is looking really good . The gelcoat goes on shiny and very orange peeled ,there is a wax additive in this product which floats to the surface to cure it and becomes very dull when fully cured . Then after one day in the full sun it is fully cured . Now the fun part lots of wet sanding going from 320 - 1500 then polishing compound then finally wax. Its a lot of work but now you have duplicated the factory finish.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
Boat is coming a long real good pictures of boat just before gelcoat and pictures after gelcoat ,went from an ivory white to a snow white what a differance

Attachments

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
Here is a few before and after photos The name plate, The floor inside of cubby cabin , The centerboard ,centerboard is in ruff shape but maybe a little life left in it I gel coated it as well.

Attachments

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
The boat is finished now ,I did a setup in the yard to see what's missing if anything I designed my own sails color scheme just didn't want white sails anymore. This boat also has the padded seats can't wait to try them out, and I added the spinnaker as this boat has never had one. The boat pretty much looks like new.

Attachments

Will D

Aug 22, 2018
O'Day Daysailer Pueblo Reservoir
Flyingscot64, thanks so much for this post and all the photos. I'm a new sailboat owner and I need to do some work on the centerboard as well as minor hull repair and refinishing. How did you get the boat off the trailer, and how did you put it on its side? Did you just use manpower, or did you need a crane of some sort? Also, how did you then get it upside-down? From the photos, you have the boat on automobile creepers--did you just tilt it on to the creepers?

Nov 19, 2017
Oday 14ft Next to garage
For a little better comparison I dry launched my flyingscot which is around 900 lbs by pulling it back on the trailer to were it is starting to be off balanced at that point you can lift the tongue way up in the air the stern of the boat will be on the ground then roll trailer forward and the boat will launch it self into the yard. Do it as close as you can to a driveway or sidewalk. For putting it on its side you will need three people if you have side stays that stick up from deck protect them from bending flyingscot suggest using a tire ,on my Javelin 2 people to flip and there no need to protect them. Roll boat on its side and continue it on over till upside down. For rollers I used the moving dollies from harbour freight the plastic covered they support 1000 lbs . Have the dollies on the sidewalk ,pick up one end and slide onto dollies . Pictures of the flyingscot flicker flyingscot64 Process is the same for both