javelin 14 help

Jul 22, 2017
javelin 14 erie
Where can I get some good info on how to rig this sailboat? I know nothing. But I bought a 1974 Javelin 14 yesterday for 650 bucks. I really wanna take it for a spin! I'm looking for where I can get info on how to raise the mast and rig it all up...stuff like that. Please and thank you

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
You can find a picture here:
http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3826
Nice boat. Do you have a centerboard or fixed keel?
In your driveway I would first step the mast. Make sure the main and jib halyards are in place in the mast. If not you may have to fish them through before putting the mast up. Since it appears the mast goes through the deck I think you would just manhandle it in place. Then attach the shrouds and forestay. For the first time I would assemble a helper or two. For the halyards make sure they will be at deck level once you put the mast in and make sure you don't lose the tails from the bottom end of the mast. The shrouds should be firmly tight but not string tight. There is no backstay. Once the mast is up it you put the boom and then rig the sails. By doing it in the driveway, you will have access to tools at home and you will find out about missing pieces. There are often missing pieces with these boats. With practice and some modifications you'll be able to rig this in under 15 minutes. But for the first time get it right instead of quick.
Make sure the rudder goes in place and that it moves up and down. Same for the centerboard if you have one. Of course for your first sail have a means to bail, signaling capability, a way to call for help, a paddle, and lifejackets.