Japanese tanker collides with US destroyer.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
"sounds like a terror attack", a typical quick response by a paranoid person(s)
Anybody remember the USS Cole? Paranoid? In this day and age when you can't even go to a concert without being blown to bits?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
And the US Navy has no lock on avoiding this type of mishap, indeed other Arleigh Burke-class (USS Porter) clanged into a tanker in the Straight of Hormuz in 2012.
Sustaining similar damage to the Fitzgerald. They got lucky, just cost the taxpayers $55M in repair. The bridge recordings were quite the sensation. CMDR arguing with the OOD and generally acting like an ignorant mobo with a horn and throttle. Poor show.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
We all like to guess. Me included :)

I think it will be found that the destroyer was sitting, and the cargo ship ran into it in the dark. Especially considering that the Navy ship is designed to be invisible. They don't generally transmit AIS; I've never seen them on AIS when they are on maneuvers offshore Orange County. And the ship is designed and built to avoid radar. Plus probably other technology.

It appears they were significantly farther offshore than previously imagined by me. IE not in a heavily congested area.

The cargo ship on autopilot and a graveyard crew never detected the destroyer, and just plowed right into it.

How the destroyer failed to detect the cargo ship is a mystery. Unless they were having equipment or power issues.

A combination of factors will emerge to have caused this, not just one error.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
As an officer of the deck on USS Independence and later ships navigator on USS Nimitz I mourn the loss of our sailors. It is heart wrenching. I will wait for the investigation. I also cast a wary eye on initial press reports. It does appear that the captain was asleep in his cabin at the moment of impact. If that cargo ship had a bulbous bow it is remarkable the warship did not break in half. Some questions. Were there comms between the ships prior to the collision? Was there traffic to port of the warship that restricted maneuvering options? Was there a steering casualty on either ship?

Lord hear us when when we cry to thee for those in peril on the sea.

Courtesy of the Navy Hymn

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well if we're going to speculate....

I'm going to guess that the Fritz saw the container ship, knew it was the give way, and tried to drive over the top of it. The thing can cover its own waterline length in 10 seconds, so it was not far from making it. The hard part to fathom is that the ARPA tracker alarms would have going nuts, showing ZERO as a CPA distance. We'll find out.

viper

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 380 Cape Coral, Fl
I wouldn't believe a news paper account of anything. They speculate and exaggerate just for readership and bragging right of "first to know". That's just BS. And always "an anonymous source that are not authorized to speak to the press".
That's a hasty generalization..... Good news sources do try to check things out as much as possible, even in the sintant news cycle....

The problem is that over 1/2 of the so called news is not generated by anything considered as a real news source....

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
From this armchair, it is difficult to understand how the Fitz would not have had enough warning to prepare for impact. Not looking for blame, just stating it is most difficult to understand the loss of life.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Rest in peace and thank you for service to our nation. For the surviving families I offer my sympathies. It's awful.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
From this armchair, it is difficult to understand how the Fitz would not have had enough warning to prepare for impact. Not looking for blame, just stating it is most difficult to understand the loss of life.
That's the thing, it's two different mysteries wrapped into one: why the 180 and how (or why) did the Fitzgerald allow the collision? Either one by itself is intriguing. It reads like a Tom Clancy novel.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
That's the thing, it's two different mysteries wrapped into one: why the 180 and how (or why) did the Fitzgerald allow the collision? Either one by itself is intriguing. It reads like a Tom Clancy novel.
The 180 was AFTER the collision.
They returned to the accident site.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Looks like a Saturday on the Chesapeake Bay. Take a look at the merchant track RickD posted. The boat had been on the same course for HOURS. That is how merchants operate. They stay predictable and visible, and they are the Stand On vessel.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Would love to see that track at the time of the incident superimposed over the track of the Crystal at the time of the incident. Might tell us the actual traffic conditions such as where other cargo vessels were located when both ships hit.