It's Time to Replace the Lines

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
BTW - If you are color coding, the convention is red for port and green for starboard. This convention is carried through in boat running lights and sail telltales, so it is wise to not mix up the colors of your sheets, should you choose red and/or green.

I chose to use one continuous rope to make my jib sheets, so I can use a cow hitch at the clew. The cow hitch is lighter and less bulky than other attachment techniques, so it is safer and, when tacking, is passes across boat with less chance of snagging. The disadvantages include: Can't have different-colored sheets, and makes changing foresails more difficult. On my boat, I have two foresails that use different leads, so that second disadvantage is almost moot. I simply remove the jib, keeping the sheets tied to it. Then I replace the jib with the genoa, that has its own dedicated sheets. But it brings up another disadvantage: I need to buy and maintain two sets of foresail sheets.

In sailing, everything is a compromise.

Mar 28, 2015
Macgregor 25 Cherry Creek
I agree about the fun of getting the rigging the way you like it. As for paying for it, a military retiree salary only goes so far and I'm torn between getting the very best I can afford (not sure I need the very best) or get what is good for how and where I sail and then how do I know the difference? Suggestions?

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
As I understand, the forces on the rigging of a 25' sailboat are not great enough to necessitate high end gear. On the other hand, good gear is a joy to use, inappropriate gear is a pain, as you are finding out with your clam cleats.

I'm no expert, so my strategy has been to replace things gradually, when they are about to break or need to be improved to match my increasing skills. At that point, I use whatever judgement I've developed so far to pick what I think is appropriate for me. It helps if you sail on other people's boats to see how they do things. A good way to to that is to volunteer as race crew.

The best piece of gear that I added to my boat so far is a Tiller Clutch. http://www.tillerclutch.com/

Jan 28, 2012
Macgregor 26D Saint Cloud, Fl
On the subject of Lazy Jacks, I just installed a set on my 26D. I have been out one time since, and what a difference it made when it was time to lower the sail. They really helped hold it all together.
I was concerned they might get in the way of sail shape when sailing, but no issues there.
I did a very small modification and used a D-ring where the main line connects to the top of the lazy jack pulleys, so after the sail is down I can disconnect any store the lazy jacks in the sail cover. Cant use the cover with the jacks in place.

Mar 28, 2015
Update: I ordered three lines today from the site attached to this forum. I searched around and the price seemed good. I color coded the lines as suggested. I still need to replace the line for the mast raising system as well as the line from the back of the boom to the top of the mast (sorry, its late and I forgot the official name of that line) and tgen tge traveler line. When thats all done, if I have any money left, I'll update all the dock and fender lines.

Thanks as always to everyone for their suggestions, guidance, and patience.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
You could just use the pigtail on the back stay but be sure to release it before sailing.
line from the back of the boom to the top of the mast (sorry, its late and I forgot the official name of that line)
Topping lift. ;)

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I bought all my running rigging from our host here. They have a nice ordering tool that is boat specific.

If you do not get the ends of the lines done by them you can whip the ends yourself and use knots instead of spliced eyes. Will save a lot of $$ that way.

Mar 28, 2015
I bought all my running rigging from our host here. They have a nice ordering tool that is boat specific.

If you do not get the ends of the lines done by them you can whip the ends yourself and use knots instead of spliced eyes. Will save a lot of $$ that way.
That's exactly what I did/will do. Ordered the lines from them and will whip and knot instead of having them do it all. Big savings!

Mar 28, 2015
Here's a picture of one of the lines that I replaced. You can see where the cover had pulled off from the inside of the line. I forgot which line this was but clearly she had served her ship well and for a long time and it was time to put her at rest. Ok, I threw it in the trash. Can't be getting sentimental about such things. The other lines are going to end up as dock lines and to be used for practice knotting, etc.

20160327_095021.jpg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Wow. that one is deserving of being trashed, but many old lines can be used for sail ties, dock bumper lines, etc.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Looks like a halyard. My main looked like that and it was because the sheave (pulley} was broken, I found replacements at West Marine for a couple of bucks.

I noticed A lot of good sections of line you could cut out, whip the ends and then throw then in the washer and use fabric softener on them. You can put them in a mesh bag and save yourself the hassle of untangling them.:banghead:

Apr 19, 2012
O'Day Daysailor 17 Nevis MN
That's exactly what I did/will do. Ordered the lines from them and will whip and knot instead of having them do it all. Big savings!
I spliced my own and they came out pretty nice. Just look for splicing instructions on youtube.

Mar 1, 2016
Oday 28 Tracy's Landing
Your comment "with boats our size" what size is your boat, 26 footer? Are you suggesting is too big or too small for lazy jacks and jiffy reefing? I assume you mean too small?

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
After buying my boat in October a few years back I spent all winter planning on on improvements and the first one was lazy jacks. I put the lines on the spreaders but never finished installing them.
Then after a few months of sailing I realized I could stand in the companionway and put a quick sail tie around the sail to keep it gathered up enough until I get back into the slip flake it properly. No need for lazy jacks.
So yes, our size boats may not need lazy jacks. Smaller boats may not benefit from lines run aft but I think our size does. My boat has narrow side decks so while I can move forward and frequently do, when by myself and in rougher conditions I like being able to handle my sails from the cockpit.
A tiller clutch is a good investment and so are reefing lines.
Good move on buying your rope and finishing the ends yourself.

Whoops, Zombie thread.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23 Aldie, Virginia. Chesapeake Ba
I agree about the fun of getting the rigging the way you like it. As for paying for it, a military retiree salary only goes so far and I'm torn between getting the very best I can afford (not sure I need the very best) or get what is good for how and where I sail and then how do I know the difference? Suggestions?

---------

You can see the difference only when you're on the water. On land it doesn't matter.
I'm retired, too, and a perfectionist, which sometimes gets in my own way. Folks have reminded me that "pretty good" accomplished is better than "perfect" not done yet. General Patton said something like that. Perfect or best takes more time and money and follows the Law Of Diminishing Returns. Regarding my boat, I can be on the water sailing, or on shore working on best teak finish or perfectly shaping a new rudder or replacing lights that work okay now.
So, sail it or work on it.
Overspend on high-end gear and not have money to sail, or buy decent quality used or new and have money to cover launch fees and trailer parking fees and gas and to toss into the hole in the water.
A practice and philosophy. I keep trying to catch my own drift.
Bud 9-27-2017
{What if there were no hypothetical situations?}

Jul 26, 2017
MacGregor Venture of Newport 23 Aldie, Virginia. Chesapeake Ba
Zombie thread? I don't get it. If the topic was discussed last year and topic has continuing interest, and the existing old thread has some good info in it or unanswered questions, and there is no other thread, well, it makes sense to pick up the conversation, continue the thread. My 2 sense.
Bud, South Riding, Virginia, zip code 000000001
-----------------------------------------------------------
{What if there were no hypothetical situations?}