It's Flare Season

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have to replace most or all of my flares, smoke signals and other expired signaling devices this season. A quick walk through of WM showed that the sales are yet to begin (Watch the expiration dates on those sale items).
I took a brief look at the "Electronic flare," which was $99. It seems to me you would want 2 for the sake of redundancy.
I started this thread to look at the ins and outs of the electronic vs. hand held (Burning!) flares. I'd like to hear about issues like battery life, testing regimen, visibility, safety, and if launched devices are still necessary. If so, what is the best cost containment mixture?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The local WM store manager is a friend of mine, and we took one outside a few weeks ago, around dusk. The thing is WICKEDLY BRIGHT. Seen for two miles (i drove away) and dusk, in darkness probably even farther. With LED as a light source and new batteries every year, I'd figure one on the boat is enough.

Only downside for me is the lack of smoke making.. But I'm switching.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I suppose one question I've mulled over regarding the light is whether or not it'd be recognized as a distress signal by your everyday boater, etc. Everybody knows what a flare looks like and what it means. If you see one going off, you know it's a distress signal. But merely an extra bright light, low, off in the dark? I suppose if someone were waving it around it might attract the proper kind of attention.:pray: Is there a protocol?

Nov 8, 2010
I suppose one question I've mulled over regarding the light is whether or not it'd be recognized as a distress signal by your everyday boater, etc. Everybody knows what a flare looks like and what it means. If you see one going off, you know it's a distress signal. But merely an extra bright light, low, off in the dark? I suppose if someone were waving it around it might attract the proper kind of attention.:pray: Is there a protocol?
It Flashes S.O.S. Has to to be USCG approved.

There are no guarantees in any of this, just trade-offs. In this case you trade better potential recognition of a 120 second flare vs 60 hours of strobe SOS.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
If it's flashing S.O.S., then that would obviously convey the urgency of the situation. It does not have to be one or the other. Buy the light for $100; it'll last as long as you own the boat. Take it off when you're done boating :frown:and sell it on craigslist. Meanwhile, keep a flare/smoke set up to date (or not) as well, etc. If the light covers your U.S.C.G. requirement it would not matter that the flares in the set were technically expired but still usable.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The local WM store manager is a friend of mine, and we took one outside a few weeks ago, around dusk. The thing is WICKEDLY BRIGHT. Seen for two miles (i drove away) and dusk, in darkness probably even farther. With LED as a light source and new batteries every year, I'd figure one on the boat is enough.

Only downside for me is the lack of smoke making.. But I'm switching.
Can you recommend a specific one? My flairs are also near the end of their life.

:)

r

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
So far as I know, the Weems and Plath one is the only USCG approved electronic device and is legal only if the visual day marker (orange flag with black ball and square) is also on board.

Relying on flares, either handheld or aerial, to signal distress is a really ineffective method of signaling. Aerial flares burn for less than a minute. Flares are most useful when some one is looking for you after being notified by radio or cell phone. Once the CG has begun its search they will ask for a flare to be set off to provide a visual sighting.

A DSC vhf with an MMSI is the best way to get found in an emergency.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Bought the Weems and Plath one. However I got my ancient flares at home and burned a few that were twenty years old last summer. Each burned two minutes and produced smoke. They were kept in plastic bags during their stay aboard and looked fresh when I lit them. Only two of twelve failed to light.

All U Get

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
If you've never done it take some of the hand held flares and ignite them to practice. I had so many generations of them that even my back up supplies were overflowing. So got my wife and decided we should each light some to "practice".

After just one I knew we did not ever want to actually use them on our boat. The slag goes everywhere and the risk of getting burned from it seemed too high.

Immediately ordered one of the electronic USCG approved devices. In fact bought 3 of them and gave the other two to our boating friends so that they didn't have to deal with the flares.

Seriously try igniting one and I think your decision will get a lot easier

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
If you've never done it take some of the hand held flares and ignite them to practice. I had so many generations of them that even my back up supplies were overflowing. So got my wife and decided we should each light some to "practice".

After just one I knew we did not ever want to actually use them on our boat. The slag goes everywhere and the risk of getting burned from it seemed too high.

Immediately ordered one of the electronic USCG approved devices. In fact bought 3 of them and gave the other two to our boating friends so that they didn't have to deal with the flares.

Seriously try igniting one and I think your decision will get a lot easier
Very true about using old ones for 'practice', so you can see what's its like. A mess. You do this in the US Sailing 'Safety at Sea' programs.

Only the cheaper USCG-only approved ones have slag. The much brighter SOLAS ones do not.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
buy it! we switched last year and it's worked great in testing with the local CGA. we carry our "outdated" SOLAS flares as jackdaw suggested as backup - they don't produce the slag. If you have the Weems & Plath legal electronic flare it doesn't matter if your incendiary flares are out of date - and they work long after the required expiration date

wsmac

Feb 16, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Humboldt
Nice to see folks talking about setting off old flares for the experience!
I've taught wilderness survival for years and really pushed the point of people practicing with their emergency gear!
Signal mirrors are another!
When I teach a class, I always bring an assortment of shiny object to include signal mirrors (not just the plastic ones sold in stores... but the large glass ones that are Coast Guard approved, as well).
I take them out to a very large field and have half the group head towards the sun, then have the other half attempt to 'flash' their partners.
They get to figure out if all those instructions from survival books actually work... and how to make them work if they do.
While I'm just getting into sailing, I am already thinking I'd like to have both incendiary flares and an electronic light/flare.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... try igniting one and I think your decision will get a lot easier
Every April my SOS sailing club in Annapolis has a "safety day". Skippers trade in their expired flares for new ones, and members burn the oldies. We also have fires in a pan and use older fire extinguishers to put them out.. With a wooden cross to represent a person, we practice throwing coiled lines to them.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Has the Weems & Plath light actually been approved by CG? Reading the info on their site, they state that the light meets
the requirements or complies with the requirements. I don't see where this has been approved by USCG?
  • Complies with all U.S. Coast Guard requirements for “Night Visual Distress Signals” as found in the Code of Federal Regulations: 46 CFR 161.013
  • When combined with a daytime distress signal flag (included in package), meets ALL USCG Federal Requirements for DAY and NIGHT use in lieu of traditional flares

Just curious as my flares have expired and wondering if this can be used in Canada as a flare substitute.

On a side note I also received an addition to my insurance this year that I am compelled to carry all required safety equipment for my vessel. I'm assuming this will include up to date flares.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Has the Weems & Plath light actually been approved by CG? Reading the info on their site, they state that the light meets
the requirements or complies with the requirements. I don't see where this has been approved by USCG?
  • Complies with all U.S. Coast Guard requirements for “Night Visual Distress Signals” as found in the Code of Federal Regulations: 46 CFR 161.013
  • When combined with a daytime distress signal flag (included in package), meets ALL USCG Federal Requirements for DAY and NIGHT use in lieu of traditional flares
I think that is a yes. BTW many boats here from Canada.

All U Get