Registered users don't see ads
  1. Welcome to the new Cruising Sailors Forum, for experienced sailors and cruisers. 2009-2016 forum archive is now online.

It’s been cold here in Rhode Island!

Discussion in 'Cruising Sailors' started by BruceB1, Jan 12, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. BruceB1

BruceB1

Joined Mar 28, 2017
    43 posts, 33 likes
    American Tug 395
    US Newport
    We’re not used to these temperatures. Running a de-icer and everything seems happy enough. Of course now, as I write this post it is some 50 something degrees out and raining...welcome to New England.
    The view from inside Esmeralde’s Cocoon yesterday morning.
    Sheesh,
    Bruce CB1467CB-E4BB-4444-A2E0-EB229B41149D.jpeg

Rick D likes this.
  2. Hagar

Hagar

Joined Jan 22, 2008
    36 posts, 18 likes
    Catalina 42
    US Olympia Washington
    Our son lives in central Massachusetts and is getting whip-sawed between single digits, single digits with snow and high wind, low 60's with rain and now due to go back to single digits. I think I will stick with the Pacific Northwest!

BruceB1 likes this.
  3. BruceB1

BruceB1

Joined Mar 28, 2017
    43 posts, 33 likes
    American Tug 395
    US Newport
    We were out in the PNW earlier this year. I miss the area!
    Bruce

4. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,397 posts, 977 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    We, I think, are just getting out of our January Thaw in New Hampshire. Just in time for my return from Mexico. It was colder here when we got back but it felt colder down there, at night. Funny how the quality of the air, moisture, pressure, wind, angle of Sun can have such an effect on how it feels regardless of what the thermometer reads.

-Will (Dragonfly)

BruceB1 likes this.
  5. Newport Bob

Newport Bob

Joined Jun 23, 2013
    236 posts, 34 likes
    Beneteau 373
    US Newport
    Come on Bruce! It'll be sailin'/boating season here in the "sailing capital of the world" in ....... months.... ☃️ stay warm

BruceB1 likes this.
  6. gettinthere

gettinthere

Joined Nov 26, 2008
    1,785 posts, 126 likes
    Endeavour 42
    US Cruisin
    I may have to put socks back on Wednesday with a low of 39. No heat in the boat makes for chilly mornings

Will Gilmore and BruceB1 like this.
  7. BruceB1

BruceB1

Joined Mar 28, 2017
    43 posts, 33 likes
    American Tug 395
    US Newport
    Not soon enough Bob. We decided to leave the boat here this winter as we've spent so much time away in the last 12 months. Next year it is the I.C.W. for us!

8. BruceB1

BruceB1

Joined Mar 28, 2017
    43 posts, 33 likes
    American Tug 395
    US Newport
    You made me laugh. I spend much of the winter cruising around inside our home without socks. It freaks my father in law out when he sees my not wearing socks...

9. BruceB1

BruceB1

Joined Mar 28, 2017
    43 posts, 33 likes
    American Tug 395
    US Newport
    Yes, somehow location makes a difference. We have done some tent camping in Florida when the temperatures were in the mid 30's...
    Fun but really cold!

Will Gilmore likes this.
  10. cb32863

cb32863

Joined Jun 29, 2010
    828 posts, 83 likes
    Beneteau First 235
    US Lake Minnetonka, MN
    When your high temp for the day is below zero (farenheit), then you can complain about it being cold....;)

11. DAVA390

DAVA390

Joined Jul 13, 2010
    852 posts, 101 likes
    Precision 23
    US Perry Hall,Baltimore County
    You mean Annapolis?:stir:

12. Newport Bob

Newport Bob

Joined Jun 23, 2013
    236 posts, 34 likes
    Beneteau 373
    US Newport
    :stir::stir:Although I enjoy Annapolis and agree it is a great sailing city to visit I grew up in Philly and did some sailing on the Chesapeake, also cruising thru on a ICW sail since moving to THE sailing capital. Good spring and fall sailing, but learn golf for July and August - no wind.
    Newport = wind almost every day and great places to sail to for every size boat - in bay and beyond.
    So, I'll give you number 2 with my sailing from Maine to Florida.

Rick486 likes this.
  13. Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Charlie Jones s/v Tehani

Joined Mar 1, 2012
    1,351 posts, 304 likes
    1961 Rhodes Meridian 25
    us Texas coast
    Here too, in South Texas- My banana trees froze AGAIN !! of course all my tangelos and lemons went away in the hurricane, so no great year.

14. Gene Neill

Gene Neill

Joined Sep 30, 2013
    2,282 posts, 788 likes
    C-22, Albin Vega
    US central Florida
    I've lived where zero F is a balmy, sunny afternoon in the springtime. Now I live where anything approaching 32F is cause for panic. I start complaining around 50. :)

[​IMG]

15. cb32863

cb32863

Joined Jun 29, 2010
    828 posts, 83 likes
    Beneteau First 235
    US Lake Minnetonka, MN
    Currently -5 this morning in the Minneapolis area. Our idea of a warm welcome to the Super Bowl fans......

Will Gilmore likes this.
  16. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,397 posts, 977 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    I went the otherway, now, I wouldn't mind going back. If only there weren't so many people that liked Florida better than NY.
    I tell everyone who complains about the weather up here, "yeah, but that's why it's nicer living up here. The weather is what keeps the riff raff out."

Oh, did I say it was nicer living up here? No, I meant, if it weren't for this horrible weather, the lack of paved roads everywhere, having to drive in 4WD 60 miles or more to get to decent shopping, the isolation, the bears that raid your bird feeders, shoveling snow, ... It might be almost as nice as living in a big city with their warming pavement, close companionship, high end shopping, municipal services, reasonable sales tax, ...
    No, you are definitely better off staying away from New Hampshire and snuggling down in some metropolis somewhere South.

- Will

17. Ken Cross

Ken Cross

Joined Oct 24, 2010
    1,592 posts, 188 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Everett, WA
    It's almost 50 here this morning, but 5 to 10 inches of rain is predicted for the next 24 hours and we're at 48 degrees north.
    Moving north doesn't always mean cold.

Ken

18. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    2,397 posts, 977 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH
    This morning, in horrible, terrible, best stay away from here, northern New Hampshire, it was 3. But, there is suppose to be a high of 20 today. Some snow possible.
    Come visit, go skiing, enjoy the wilderness, peep at the fiery orange and red and yellow Fall leaves, buy stuff tax free, but don't let it's quiet beauty fool you, you are best off not staying;).
    We do, however, have a strong maritime heritage. A clipper ship under construction is the state seal. Even though we have only 12 miles of coastline.

- Will (Dragonfly)

19. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,215 posts, 1,662 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Ken. Make the rain go away and the temps stay above 50 for a few more days. The guys want to - need to - finish the glass work.

Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Sail Trim Chart and Guide
When it comes to sailing, as basic as salt and pepper and just as indispensable!
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.