It's a Great Pity....

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eric

Reefer

Does anybody know where I can get a Lucas refrigerator? I love warm beer.

G

Greg Stebbins

Lucus Reefers

Eskimos gotem all. They keep their food from freezing.

R

Rick Webb

RE French Boats... Let's see

But the halyards underneath would be all frayed and fuzzy too.

G

Greg Stebbins

better frayed and fuzzy halyards than

5/16 inch halyards that have be re-cored with 1/2 inch single braid. Just doesn't look natural.

B

Been there

European heaven and European hell

In European hell, the police are German, your cook is British, your lover is Swiss, your boat is French, and your investment banker is Swedish. In European heaven, the police are British, your cook is French, your lover is Italian, your boat is Swedish, and your investment banker is Swiss.

J

Jack Laird

The Sprite worked well

Drove to work and raced a Bugeye Sprite for almost 30 years. Five engines and two transmisions three restorations. 79H Same engine same transmision no restorations. But then I've only had it for 17 years, so far.

S

Steve Cronin

To Greg Stebbins- Y'got it Wrong Bud!

XK120's werw 12 volt Pos ground as wwre MGA's. However they both used two six volt batteries in series to give twelve volts. Back to sailing Steve Cronin

R

Ray

Not a Jag Anymore

Now that's not a Jag if it doesn't have Lucas or BW in it.. thats the "fun" of owning a "Jag".. i have a '82 SIII and a XK-120 ('53)(restoring)... actually like it... with all the problems... fortunately i have (had) an abundance of spare parts... good thing... :) Now that "Ford" owns them who knows what will happen to the 'ol Jag...?

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Car Stuff, Mark??..

Reasonable question, tho. 20 years ago, I drove up to a yacht club to enter a wooden boat race. Guy sees my Jag, comes over to me and hands me the application form. Jag = Wooden boat in his mind. So, the is a (remote) connection. (PS: still have the Jags, but no wooden boat!)

S

Stephen Ostrander

car stuff because

All the car stuff is because Steve doesn't like Hunters, so we are avoiding politics, religion, and Hunters, and concentrating on our common interests.This sin't the CWBB, after all. Phil is going to create a forum here for British sports cars, Jag owners here, MG owners there, etc etc. :)

G

Greg Stebbins

A common thread....

Sailboats and British cars have a lot in common and would tend to attract the same people. Neither is reliable or efficient as transportation. Both add challenge to the simple act of getting from one place to another. Sailors and British car enthusiasts seem to have their intellectual screen savers turned off. I'd like to add fly-fishing to the list. It's a stupid way to fish but I can't help it, I’ve been addicted for over 25 years now. I think it's really just my excuse to climb mountains and enjoy what I find there.

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
Not to mention Italian cars for true masochists...

Not only the challenge of getting from here to there, but just the challenge of not knowing what will suddenly break next on keeps the old adrenaline going! Boats make good smokescreens, the wife is so busy worrying about how much you order from West Marine, that she never notices what you're ordering from the International Auto Parts catalogue...

T

Tom M.

English Hunter 27

Sorry guy and gals, this is not about the eng. sport car world, but the Hunter, that sells new for $90,000.plus tax, it has little or no, side decks, and only a single lower shroud, no opening ports and weighs only 2.4 tons, also the boat is wide and with high freeboard, so whats so special about the English seagoing Hunter,??? I don't, know, I have a 1983 Hunter 27, with 16" side decks, 8 opening ports, dbl lower shrouds, moderate high freeboard, and weighs, 2200 lbs more, and as for costs,You could pick one up with the tax money on the $90 K.

S

Steve Cronin

To Tom M of St Pete's FLA

Take a look at www.hunterboats.com and you will see that you are comparing boats from two different eras. the equivalent Uk Hunter to yours is the Horizon 27 of the 80's & 90's. The current Channel 27 is of similar design to the current Hunter Legend 27. It's a bit like cars- the various makers research what potential customers want and they do it in the same section of society so small wonder that they come out with similar looking products. Yeah, UK Hunters are expensive but then they are hand built to individual order or you can buy a fully completed sailaway hull and finish it yourself if that's your liking. As to the number of ports you have on your boat:- Do you think it advisable to have so many openings for the power of the sea to "Have it's way" with? The ports in the UK Hunter are there (four on the 27's)but they tend to be in sheltered places NOT exposed to the ravages of the elements like those on Legends. However a lot of ports are as I know from personal experience desireable in the Florida climate - in the UK we don't have a climate - only weather! Regards Steve Cronin

A

Alex

Frankly..

..I have just reada boat-test in May issue of PBO (UK) sailing magazine ( one of the best) on the NEW UK Hunter 31 In general it looks more alike 'our' Hunters that their's of just 5 years ago. It is wide ,some bigger cockpit, fractional rig(!)with 110% jib and full width spreader, sportier hull(!!) and atwartship berth(!!!) in main cabin under the cockpit sole...Does it sounds familiar..? I trust it is stiff boat and sails well in all weather..with it's 9400 pounds disp and 3540 pounds lead ballast in bulbed fin , and I may consider a 'bigger brother' along same lines few years from now.. BUT...Price is 67000 pounds-100000+ USD...in UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.