It's a Great Pity....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug

A possible outcome for the Limey

An idea for your retirement: It will only be a matter of time till Ford or another US firm has to bail UK Hunter out (like every other UK trans. product) then you won't have to sail your beloved A ocean cruiser accross the pond. You can pick one up in Detroit. Happy Sailing

G

Geoff porter

For what its worth

Just thought you may like to know that this 'limey' has decided to put up with a 'second rate?' American Hunter after 18 years of solid reliable and quite frankly 'boring and poor value for money' uk boats - Verdict after 2 seasons use in the 'dangerous UK waters' - best chioce I ever made!!! PS - on the subject of bikes - I also own a 99 Harley (Road King) - we covered 3,260 miles touring 8 countries in 18 days last September - the bike (with 2 up and luggage) never missed a beat - Am I entitled to honary US citizenship? (Will settle for free accomodation the next time I cross the pond, with British carrier Virgin - yeah but in a Boeing - any offers. Do what grabs you best and let the rest get on with wondering what its like!!

R

Rick Webb

GB autos are better than

After bad mouthing all of those neat British autos I thought I would mention that they are much better than all those stupid French ones. I have had all of them Fiat, Puegot, Renault and would want another of them. Thanks for the info on the Rover I was not sure if they were sold over to BMW or not. The bigggest headache for owning the British cars was the manual that were supposedly written in english spent half of the day trying to translate the damn thing. Wonder if that is why I married a girl from Scotland. My most favorite car of all time was my XJ-6 after a 300 hp Chevy 327 was slid into it of course.

S

Stephen Ostrander

Beg pardon, Old Chap

I believe you want the CWBB. www.cruisingworld.com

G

Greg Stebbins

Ok Geoff.....

Let’s see now, honorary citizenship for a Brit? Why not? My limited experience with England and Brits has given me only 3 or 4 generalities. 1. Brits normally drink more than anyone in their right mind should, excepting the Greeks of course. I got whole lobes of my brain burnt out from only a couple of drinking bouts with Greeks. 2. Brits have this fascination with tiny kitchen appliances. I have no idea why they install tiny little camping stoves and office fridges in their kitchens. 3. There seemed to be a lot of very “interesting” (CO right?) woman in England. 4. Brits aren’t French (no REEK factor to deal with) Ok Geoff, you’re an honorary citizen. You can get your Harley tattoo at your convenience. “Born to Lose” used to be it but with H/D moving so far up-scale, I think it’s “Harvard School of Business” now. If you’re ever need a place to stay in Texas let me know. Greg

B

Bryan

International incident

You all are acting like this is some kind of international patriotic thing. Why, one can find all kinds of elitist Hunter bashers right here in the good old USA.

R

Robert Gillan

If You Can't Buy the Best, Buy British!

OK; now a few words from a former colony in the northern half of the NA continent: in another lifetime I rallyed both a '56 TR3A and a '60 Volvo 544. no question which was best: the 544! And it bested any Ford, Chev or US what-have-you! SU carbs though, I'll give you that! Hunters: well, I've had my little 29.5 out in the Straits of Juan de Fuca (look that up in your National Geographic atlas) in winds of 35kts+ and waves of 2-3 metres with the jib rolled up and a double reefed main, and she sailed just fine! Other boats broke gear, we broke nothing! I rest my case (on both counts!) No more whinging from the Poms! Bob Gillan; S/V Far Bugle

S

Steve Cronin

Just a few replies

Very interesting - and varied - replies to my original posting. I repeat THERE WAS NO NATIONAL CRITICSM INTENDED and I took great pains to indicate that, I thought? The Catalinas & Legends suffer from the same "light" build in my view but there are some magnificent American boats around and I suspect that if our intended plans go ahead then we will buy an American boat over there. Something like an Oyster or a Bowman would maybe be first choices. There are however a few builders that we would avoid. Couple of points on old cars First Stephen Ostrander:- If you can get hold of that 1962 Midget hold on to it; it's a rarety; ALL MG's Almost all since 2nd world war have been 12 volt. The '62 Midget WAS positive earth (chassis) but you need to go back to the '39 TC to get 6volt electrics. and for Rick Webb:- Don't let the Italians hear you calling Fiat, a cornerstone of their economy a FRENCH car. They might maka you an offer you canna refuse! Keep on sailing boys and leave some of that warm blue Keys water for me! Steve Cronin

R

Rick Webb

OOPS

Thank You for pointing that out. Drinking and thinking again. Guess Fiat stuck in my mind because the Fiat I drove in Germany a few months ago was a piece of crap, they have not improved since they were sold in the US. I read a book not to long ago about a guy who sailed a 17' British Hunter across the pond in 1972. I do not think I would try that in my 23' one, But then I would not want to do it in a 100' one either.

S

Stephen Ostrander

my mistake

Steve, why did I remember that it was a 6-volt system? Are there 2 6-volt batteries wired together, or some configuration like that? Another school chum had an MGB, so maybe I'm confusing the two. After all, that was long time ago. BTW, my friend still has the Midget and its for sale. P.S. Hope you accepted my good-natured ribbing in the spirit in which it was intended. I'm actually very fond of British sports cars. You see, even though you bashed my Hunter, we found some common ground!

G

Greg Stebbins

6 Volt Systems

6 volt systems were common in the 50's. MGA, TR-3, and the XK's of course. The twin batteries were also common for weight distribution. I had 2 batteries in wells behind the seats in all my XK's but the XK150 and E-Type I think. The XK120's AM radio was also mounted behind the seats. What was mounted in the dash was only the control head. The radio itself, a Big vacum tube monster would never fit under the coupe's rose wood dash. Most or all MGB's were 12 volt systems. My confusion come from my ownership of a very, very early MGB while in collage (a fuzzy time for me). MG built the thing with as many MGA parts as they could so it was sort of a MGA-B and might have been 6 volt but I dought it. I do remember that the A-B was hell at BAP.

S

Steve Cronin

OK guys, if the webmaster looks this way....

..we are really talking about boats but in our own code, OK? Gregg & Stephen MGA, ALL the Triumph TR's and the Jag XK's were 12 volt Positive ground. Being as much a car junkie as a boat one I have checked with the secretarys of the owners clubs (TR guy is a personal friend - his car is used on their magazine cover) Rick:- Little of any good was ever made by Fiat. What was - the made a few good spyders has now rusted away. Sad that they own Ferrari isn't it? Greetings from the land where red buoys are on the right as you leave harbour (harbor) Could that be another topic? Steve Cronin

Aug 11, 2006
Hunter H260 Traverse City
FIAT

Now, now... Some of us happen to presently own a Fiat (Bertone actually), and have owned a flawless 124 Spyder in the past which was sold with much regret.

G

Greg Stebbins

I beg to differ ol boy!!!

120's were 6 volt. 140's were transitional 150's (battery under the fender) 12 volt. The MGA's were 6's (*at least mine were). Don't confuse what they were with what you've done to them sense. Maybe no one is old enough to have "been there" Or is this another of those English to American conversion things.

J

Jim Rice

Horses for Courses

Come now... Any blue-water boat will be 1) heavier, 2) more sturdily built and thus 3) more expensive than their coastal-cruising counterparts. Thus, a Hunter(UK) will out-cost a Hunter(US). Our H27-1980 is a coastal cruiser that I would trust with my life--up to a certain set of conditions. I would trust a Westsail 32 in almost any conditions, but would hate to sail it or handle it in the wrong (light or crowded) conditions. Furthermore, H(US) has economies of scale that H(UK) must dream about. All in all, each boat probably is a bargain in its home conditions. PS--UK cars are meant to be low-milage, hand-maintenance vehicles. US cars are meant to be driven huge distances in a relatively short period and dumped by the side of the road. I'd rather fix an Austin-Healey by the side of the road, but my Honda rarely ends up there!

A

Alex

another point of view..

..I can give here , being less partial but nevertheless much involved..( not about cars or Volts..) Living and sailing in Israel and tending regulary the London Boat Show , I gave the 30 foot Hunter ( UK) a 'good look' when- few years ago- I decided to replace my old Beneteau 27 foot with something more 'substantial' and new. There was on display the "29.5 Legend"(as USA Hunters are called there)too , both being potential boats on the size range -30 foot- I was looking for. Looking at the tech data of displacement, balast, rig configuration as well as general designs related to safety and mainly heavy weather( and especially it's excelent stability curve) , I can fully understand ssteve Cronin opinion about this boat. The other side of the story is it's relatively small size in and out ( more alike the "280" but with more inner wood , more seaberths, less headroom , less ventilation, less ports and hatches, much smaller cokpit and tiller steering , just to name few feature in no particular order). I can sympatize with him , for whom a 'lovely sunny sailing day'on the English Channel would be here , on Eastern Mediteranean , a wet, windy day to be sailed reefed ,with sprayhood and protective clothing on ( not much fun for mostly far friendly preveiling conditions..). But for my intended use ( mostly coastal ,weekend/day-sailing, with just occasional once-twice a year 400-600 nm offshore sail to Cyprus/Turkey and back, (depending of lenght of vacation..), and for my money , I chose the "29.5" . 5 years later I had quit a few and anoying -mostly small- problems , dealt almost always eficiently and quickly by Hunter , but no structural faults or problems. My boat -altought not the biggest on the pier-is mostly sought after by family and friends both for both weekend sailing and in-marina 'entertaiment'( eating,swiming around,and plain fun with up to 8 bodies comfortable seated in the cockpit..). As many sailors , I too have 'a plan' (some call it a dream) to own a bigger/sturdier boat at ( early) retirement time ,and sail far away.. Even now , I am still looking for the 'perfect' 30 footer production boat.. But so far , for my money and use on last 5 years,I would definitely make again the same choice between these two Hunters.. p.s. I prefer-(for my local intended use..)-a small European('mainland') car over both USA and UK ones..

R

Rick Webb

French Boats?

Are there any french boats we can all talk trash about and if there are do you have to wear one of those queer looking pom-poms on you cap when you sail them? Now that I think about it my mast is french. Were do I get my pom-pom?

R

Russell

Only around town

I suggest that the issue is to use the car/boat as intended. Since we use our 376 for coastal cruising the added blue water capibilities (and increased cost) of the UK version are not an issue for us. In the same way we always have a cell phone and AAA card when we take our 74 TR-6 more than a couple of miles. My dad bought his toy new and learned early and often if he needed to get somewhere, that the Ford. Now if I could only get the heater fan, turn signals, spedometer and left speaker to work and the clutch to stop leaking I would be all set. Russell

G

Greg Stebbins

French Boats... Let's see

Boat removes own sail cover when sun's out. I'm not complaining about this particular french trait, just making an observation.

A

Alex

Don't underestimate French boats..

..If you would read aroud, they have not less marine 'champions' of every kind and era and numerous types and brands of boat beside the wellknown USA/Caribbian/Charter Beneteau-Oceanis line, which frankly-for their price- has some appeal for that coastal,casual sailing. (look at their production numbers) . They just don't like to speak anything but French..

Status
Not open for further replies.