It is that TIME AGAIN.... PFD Check

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes it is spring. One of the rites of spring is a check of your never used in anger PFD.

For you guys with the solid floaties, this is easy... throw it in the bathtub or a near by body of clean water. If it floats test 1 complete. Take it out dry it and check all of the buckles and belts for function, clean and no damage.
Good to go.

Now you sailors with the high tech gas powered, water triggered, super bladder PFD's.
Time is now to do the 16 hour is is still inflated test. Sure your doing regular maintenance - the clean and oral inflate, then repack functions every 2 months (https://www.mustangsurvival.com/en_US/html-module/pfd-inspection-maintenance.html).

And you know that if it says 2018 on the unit, you have until December 2018 before you need to rearm the vest. And you are keenly aware that you have to replace the whole kit. So now is the time to jump in the water and see if the thing actually works... Or if you live in the cold water climate put the vest on a friend and push him off the end of the dock shouting It's a Test... It's a test.... No that is not the way - unless you have a lot of rum on the boat and can wipe the experience from his/her mind.

But it is a good thing to see if these safety tools actually work at some point in your boating life. And nothing like when you have to throw out the outdated parts to give them a test.

How to rearm your PFD HIT life saving vest.

I just replaced 1 of my 3 kits.

Now it is time to visit the with CG Aux and get that inspection sticker. Maybe it will work as good as it did last year. No on water stops.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have seen A LOT of the inflatable vests with the “pill” type auto trigger that have degraded and will no longer automatically inflate the vest. The pill tends to slow dissolve in the dampness of the boating environment...like rain. The hydrostatic Hammar-type autoinflators don’t have this problem. Better choice.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Make sure to check the dates on replacement re-arm kits. I ordered two in March and they came already expired! They were promptly replaced at no charge and with great embarrassment!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
another benefit to the solid vests is protection to ribs if you take a spill down the companionway. I'm joking, but I'm also serious. :plus:

- Will (Dragonfly)

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
And if you want to test your auto-inflating vest in the water without expending the inflator be sure to remove both the CO2 cartidge and the detonator. Last year I figured "I've never worn it in the water, let me see how I'd float in it." I took out the CO2, blew it up, and jumped in, only to realize later I had expended the bobbin that can only be purchased as part of the $30 re-arm kit.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
FYI: all the Halkey Roberts bobbins are the same. You have a Mustang vest with a Halkey Roberts auto inflator.

Oct 22, 2014
It’s the joy of jumping into a moist place and having big yellow things inflate around your cheeks and neck.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I’m not sure why most folks here need to test something they don’t use.
Perhaps because fabric rots and may become unable to hold air.

When my inflatables reached the age where they needed new gas system components I saw it as an opportunity to test them to find out how they worked in actual use. Put one on and jumped overboard. It was interesting. I was under water for what felt like 30 seconds. My wife informed me it was more like 4 seconds before it popped and inflated. It was helpful to experience how they inflate, how they make your surface and to make sure they could still hold air.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Thanks for the public service announcement John. You reminded me to inflate and inspect mine.

Oct 22, 2014
@quadrille38 it is also valuable to know you can hold your breath and then pop up to breath. One of the early issues of falling into the water is the gasp reflex. Folks gasp and fill their lungs with water. Drown in the first 30 seconds. Falling in you need to hold your breath and pause till you surface. What 4 seconds? The experience is needed to be a teaching moment.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It’s the joy of jumping into a moist place and having big yellow things inflate around your cheeks and neck.
Yellow? Is that the color?
:ass:

Here's to jumping into a moist place to test your "inflatable".

- Will ("Chief Inspector", Dragonfly)

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have seen A LOT of the inflatable vests with the “pill” type auto trigger that have degraded and will no longer automatically inflate the vest. The pill tends to slow dissolve in the dampness of the boating environment...like rain. The hydrostatic Hammar-type autoinflators don’t have this problem. Better choice.
Well, dang. I was under the impression that if the pill degraded, your vest might just deploy in the rain, or spray. Much smaller problem.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
As a CGAux vessel examiner I too recommend getting the courtesy boat exam, it checks all safety items for dates, makes sure you have all the federal required items on board and just gives you confidence that you have what you need in case murphy strikes. The list of recommended items is also good. It tells you what a prudent prepared captain should have. Results do not get reported to anyone, you get a decal and a inspection report too. Oh and its free!

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Perhaps because fabric rots and may become unable to hold air.

When my inflatables reached the age where they needed new gas system components I saw it as an opportunity to test them to find out how they worked in actual use. Put one on and jumped overboard. It was interesting. I was under water for what felt like 30 seconds. My wife informed me it was more like 4 seconds before it popped and inflated. It was helpful to experience how they inflate, how they make your surface and to make sure they could still hold air.
@nightowle seems to get it. I hear all these arguments about why people won’t wear their life jackets. Now there’s an entire thread on testing them. What’s the point?