It hurt to read this

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Improper use of begs the question. The proper phrase would be, this raises the question.
Begging the question is a logical fallacy that means one assumes the point to be proven is true and uses that as a premise to support the argument. Similar to circular reasoning.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 2, 2017
O'Day & Islander 322 & 37 Scottsdale, AZ & Owls Head, ME
Ditto. It’s the most misused phrase in the English language.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Gilmore's quote is actually full of errors. Should read [In English]: ... is there any hope regardless of what...? It's a moot point...

The term irregardless is the [illiterate] combination of the words irrespective and regardless.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
ROFLMAO. This is way too much. Sometimes the comments are better than the OP. LOL (and here I thought I was the only grammar Nazi)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Similar to circular reasoning.
If Person A is following Person B, isn't it true that Person B is really following Person A, but at a longer distance?
This is not moot point but regardable when considering if you are respectful of each other.
Jim...

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Begging the question is a logical fallacy that means one assumes the point to be proven is true and uses that as a premise to support the argument. Similar to circular reasoning.
- Will (Dragonfly)
I think (JMHO) that begs the question relates to saying that a conclusion is wholly based on a premise that lacks support. It is based on logic: "This painting is trash because it is obviously worthless".

Meh!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Why has no one mentioned my use of the semi colon?
Will. We understand you are south of the border. They use strange characters, additions to their letters and sentences all the time.
I thought you were just trying the traveler’s option: “When in Rome...”

“The Will doth protest too much, methinks."

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Pall Mall can't spall.

See if anyone remembers that.
This lead me to:
OUR QUEER LANGUAGE
When the English tongue we speak,
Why is 'break' not rhymed with 'freak'?
Will you tell me why it's true,
We say 'sew' but likewise 'few'?
And the maker of a verse,
Cannot cap his 'horse' with 'worse'?
'Beard' sounds not the same as 'heard',
'Cord' is different from 'word';
c - o - w is 'cow' but l - o - w is 'low';
'Shoe' is never rhymed with 'foe'.
Think of 'hose' and 'whose' and 'lose',
And think of 'goose' and yet of 'loose',
Think of 'comb' and 'tomb' and 'bomb';
'Doll' and 'roll' and 'home' and 'some';
And since 'pay' is rhymed with 'say',
Why not 'paid' with 'said', I pray ?
We have 'blood' and 'food' and 'good',
Wherefore 'done' and 'gone' and 'lone'?
Is there any reason known?
And, in short, it seems to me,
Sounds and letters disagree.

- Will (Dragonfly)

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Because we want to go skating on the OTHER side of the ice?

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
This misuse of language has suposubly been going on time immemorial and is becoming very deeply seeded. Prolly need to teach the use of spell check in school. By in large, its happening all the time. One of my pet peeves.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yeah--as in "healthy diet" instead of "healthful diet"; "drive safe" instead of "drive safely", etc. The use of superlatives to modify absolutes, as in "most unique", "most ubiquitous", "most perfect", and etc. This comes from elevating kids' expressions to "adult" communication via advertising and other media. BTW--Oh, that's amazing, amazing amazing--everything is super amazing! I'm so amazed! Isn't anyone simply astonished, perhaps even dumbfounded or a little nonplussed, anymore? No, only amazed!!!

Last edited: