Isotherm Smart Energy Controller (SEC) question

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Someone PM'ed me about the icebox insulation... I looked into an access panel that I would have to use to install the cabling. I was gratified to see 1.75 inches of hard foam insulation completely enclosing the fiberglass shell. And also the general level of fit and finish of the part of the boat that owners are never expected ever see.

IMG_0986.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well it's in. Took about 3 hours to install. Not hard but lots of steps. The ice box is now this.

IMG_1040.JPG

The business end in the port cockpit locker.

IMG_1038.JPG

Looking forward to cold beer 24h7!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Nice! I have always thought of wiring a relay to short the thermostat wires when there's a charging source present, which is the key feature of the isotherm, I think. I'm also wiring my 'fridge, through a low voltage disconnect load output on the solar controller.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
So here it is 6 years later, and this thread helped me out! I added an Isotherm 2501 cold plate to the icebox on my O'Day 322, which is kept on a mooring. I added 2 100watt solar panels and an MPPT controller, and it's been working great keeping water, beer, gatoraid and some condiments cold 24/7 for 2 seasons. At Rod's suggestion (Maine Sail) I went with a Trojan T1275 house battery. great!

Then we had a big front roll through a few weeks ago, and one of my solar cables came loose from the connections outside. 3 days later I was at the boat, and of course, cold plate running for 3 days with no charging. Battery was down to 10 v and change, pretty much dead. My ACR saved my start battery. So, I was researching adding a resistor to the coldplate circuit as shown by Isotherm.

But, I'm ordering me a Blue Sea m-LVD as soon as I'm done posting this, and leaving it at its factory 12.1 VDC. Although I've secured the cables better, I'd rather come out to the boat to warm water and beer than a $350 battery that I need to replace.

Thanks, all!