Is today the true equinox?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
According to the table I'm seeing for Long Beach, the sun rises at 090 and sets at 270 degs T, respectively, on March 18 & 19. Thus, neither of the two empirical criteria we've discussed--equal length of day/night and azimuths of the sun at rise/set, which themselves do not coincide with each other, appear NOT to match in time the astronomical definition, which puts it (equinox) on March 20 :doh:. How would we know, lacking a calendar?
We have learned that the date of the vernal astronomical equinox varies between March 19 and March 21 and the possible reasons for it; what we have not learned is why equal day/night lengths do not fall on or very near that date all over the world. As I suggested, we're still 4 days out here in LB but we've seen our "equinox" of day/night periods. The interval is the interval--it's 12 h/12 h or it's not. I love the Stonehenge explanation:thumbup:. I think the medieval catholic church did something similar using great rosettes on the floors of their cathedrals. After all, if you're going to "celebrate" Easter with great goings-on, then you really should know when it actually is, etc.; the driving force for production of accurate calendars. The Pope is receiving Divine guidance, some believe; so he and his bishops/monks should know.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Here is one for you.
Years ago right before the Equinox a friend tells us that on that day because of the effects of the Equinox you can stand eggs upright on their end. She claimed that other days of the year the eggs won't stand up.

So my wife with steady hand sends me a picture on the Equinox day with a dozen eggs all standing on end on the counter.
She's tried on non Equinox days and they won't stand up.
Can't honestly vouch for it personally since my hands aren't steady enough to make them stand up.

If you are at all inclined to have an Equinox party this does make a kind of odd / weird party game. Especially after a few party beverages.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
The true equinox will only happen when the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
RE: Big field, big rocks, and then watch........ The difficulty here is that the "watch" takes a good deal of time that could be better spent sailing.

RE: Will Gilmore post....... Sounds like a formula for computing Federal Income Tax.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Evidently, others besides SBO Forum members have pondered the imponderables of the cosmos:doh:. It has been suggested that the actual times of the [astronomical] equinoxes as observed by the ancients (prehistory peoples) probably could not have been determined by any of four empirical methods below, (d) being deemed the least viable. But the greater question is, why would they care to know?

(a) finding the spatial mid-point between the rising or setting position of the sun at the two solstices
(b) finding the half-way point in time between the two solstices and aligning upon sunrise and sunset on that day
(c) finding the day on which sunrise and sunset occur in exactly opposite directions
(d) finding the day on which the length of time from sunrise to sunset is same as from sunset to sunrise

Ruggles (1997).Whose Equinox?, Journal for the History of Astronomy, Archaeoastronomy Supplement Vol 28, p. 45.

:deadhorse:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
But the greater question is, why would they care?
When one is dependent upon the seasons and weather to plant and harvest crops and to prepare for the seasons, having a way to mark the seasons is vitally important.

Think for a minute about an unseasonably warm period in January, without knowing that it is still in the middle of winter, one might be tempted to plant and waste the seeds. Or a cold April and May, delay too long and the frost will kill the crops.

They probably started by noticing that the sun rose and set in different places in a rhythm. Eventually someone figured out how to mark the angles using shadows, eventually using big rocks.

I grew up in the tropics where there is very little variation in daylight hours and differences in where the sun rose and set. It took many years of living in upstate NY to become accustomed to the change in the sunrise/set times and directions. It is not surprising that the Celts and Druids living in England noticed the difference as they are about 30* in latitude further north where the differences are quite large. They needed to know the seasons, the Hawai'ians, not so much.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
True, but length of day (photoperiod) and growth rate of the crops are much more important than temps assuming there is no frost (although temp and growth rate can be positively correlated). Once you pass 12 h of daylight/day locally you should be good to go, assuming no more freezing weather arrives until early fall. I don't think a "farmer" would be confused by a warm spell during January with its short photoperiod, etc., as to what is the season even if the exact time of the equinox could not be determined.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A thought worth pondering, how perfect the design of our little spec of life amongst the cosmos so vast. Or, what is on the other side of a black hole?