Is today the true equinox?

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Today in Long Beach is the closest we will come to an even 12 h of "day"/12 h of "night" before the summer solstice. Officially--sunrise @ 0701; sunset @ 1901 but 17 sec short of "dead even."

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
The question is not centered in Long Beach but the Equator, I think.
This being true then no. The Spring Equinox would be on March 20th at 16:15

Wikipedia suggests;
equinox is commonly regarded as the moment when the plane of Earth's equatorpasses through the center of the Sun's disk,[2]which occurs twice each year, around 20 March and 23 September.

But if your considering a ritual moment in Long Beach when spring flings should be celebrated then. Yes. Today is the day. Drink celebrate and be Mary. :ass:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
There is also this:
noun
the time when the sun crosses the plane of the earth's equator, making night and day of approximately equal length
all over the earth
and occurring about March 21 (vernal equinox or spring equinox) and September 22 (autumnal equinox)

And this
1350-1400; Middle English, Medieval Latin equinoxium, for Latin aequinoctium, the time of equal days and nights.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Today in Long Beach is the closest we will come to an even 12 h of "day"/12 h of "night" before the summer solstice. Officially--sunrise @ 0701; sunset @ 1901 but 17 sec short of "dead even."
Sunrise and Sunset time are affected by both the position of the earth in its orbit and the refraction of sunlight through the atmosphere. The sun will appear to be above the horizon in the AM even with it is slightly below the horizon. The same happens at sunset.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Our equinox was yesterday, 3/15. Sunrise @ 0738 and sunset @ 1938. The astronomical Spring equinox is on March 20th.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Are the times stated in the original post "Daylight Saving Time"? :stir: And furthermore, I don't want to be Mary. I'm quite content as I am. :biggrin:

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I always look at this and the fall equinox as the time when the sun rises due East and sets due West

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The sun only rises and sets Due East and West from anywhere on the globe except for the poles (2) times per year spring and fall equinox's

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Of course there is also the Great Year or Platonic Year. Where the wobble of the Earth's axis goes through a full rotation in about 25,000 years
"It is defined by NASA as "The period of one complete cycle of the equinoxes around the ecliptic, about 25,800 years"

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Don't they party all the time in Long Beach? What's the big deal? Oh, wait --- just like I used to tell Mom: "Here's today's excuse!":yikes:

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Yes but, sunrise is when the top edge of the sun comes above the horizon and sunset is when the bottom edge goes below the horizon and so the "day" is longer than the "night" by twice the amount of time it takes for the disc of the sun to traverse the horizon. That is why your solstice is apparently arriving early.

For extra credit look up sidereal vs solar day.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I always look at this and the fall equinox as the time when the sun rises due East and sets due West
According to the table I'm seeing for Long Beach, the sun rises at 090 and sets at 270 degs T, respectively, on March 18 & 19. Thus, neither of the two empirical criteria we've discussed--equal length of day/night and azimuths of the sun at rise/set, which themselves do not coincide with each other, appear NOT to match in time the astronomical definition, which puts it (equinox) on March 20 :doh:. How would we know, lacking a calendar?

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
According to the table I'm seeing for Long Beach, the sun rises at 090 and sets at 270 degs T, respectively, on March 18 & 19. Thus, neither of the two empirical criteria we've discussed--equal length of day/night and azimuths of the sun at rise/set, which themselves do not coincide with each other, appear to match in time the astronomical definition, which puts it (equinox) on March 20 :doh:. How would we know, lacking a calendar?
First you find a big field. Then you find some big rocks. Put them in a circle and watch the shadows.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
According to the table I'm seeing for Long Beach, the sun rises at 090 and sets at 270 degs T, respectively, on March 18 & 19. Thus, neither of the two empirical criteria we've discussed--equal length of day/night and azimuths of the sun at rise/set, which themselves do not coincide with each other, appear to match in time the astronomical definition, which puts it (equinox) on March 20 :doh:. How would we know, lacking a calendar?
The geometry of what is happening is infinitely complex. Given the wobble in the Earth's rotation (mentioned by Will above), the fact that the orbit around the sun is not an exact number of either solar or sidereal days, (neither of which is constant compared with say an atomic clock) and the non circular nature of the earth's orbit, and the gravity of the moon and other planets and and and - the deeper you go into it the more impossible it becomes for ordinary mortals. I don't know for certain, but I suspect that at a millisecond (or microsecond?) level it is probably actually chaotic (i.e. non repeating) because the influencing factors are so subtle and asynchronous. I need to talk to one of my astrophysicist buddies.

The other thing is the equinox happens at a certain instant, and that is the same for every point on earth. For someone it will be midday and for others maybe the day before or the day after.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The Earth's orbit around the Sun is not equally divisible by days (Earth rotations), thus we have leap years, but then, that isn't enough so

for the Gregorian calendar.

- Will (Dragonfly)