Is this something I should be worried about?

Jul 25, 2018
O'day 19 MK-II Weekender Narragansett Bay
I found this blemish on my 1983 O'day 19 Weekender.
Is this something I should be worried about?

O'day 19  blemish.jpg

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Of the 6 or 7 "blemishes" I see in the pic, I would be concerned about the one that appears to be exposing the glass strands. Can't really tell how deep it might go, but I'd fix it regardless.

Actually, I'd probably fix them all. That one would be first.

Jul 25, 2018
Thanks Jim26m,

Would this be a dremel, epoxy, top coat type of repair?

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
If it doesn't go too deep, or spread out further than the earlier repair zone, that will probably be fine. You'll have to do a little exploratory surgery on it to be sure. Something hit it several times, so I would want to be sure the hull is still solid beyond the visible damage. It's probably fine, but keep your eyes on it while you're grinding. Look for cracking, delamination, etc. if you can grind back to good hull without going too deep, you're fine.
I don't suppose that area is visible from inside?

Last edited:

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
It doesn't look bad, I would clean it up, fair in some epoxy and get sailing.

Jul 25, 2018
Jim26m, I very much appreciate your further insights

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
You have a void beneath your gel cote. Dremel it out with an angled high speed cutting bit. The one with the rounded tip.
Dremel it out in width til you get to good gelcote. Dremel it in depth til you get to clean fiberglass. Then you decide whether you want to paint or gelcote. Look up YouTube videos on those topics.

Jul 25, 2018
You have a void beneath your gel cote. Dremel it out with an angled high speed cutting bit. The one with the rounded tip.
Dremel it out in width til you get to good gelcote. Dremel it in depth til you get to clean fiberglass. Then you decide whether you want to paint or gelcote. Look up YouTube videos on those topics.
Thanks agprice22

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Just curious... how big are these spots? How many are there? They appear to be tiny based on the size of the glass fibers .

If it’s small and there are several similar spots, then it’s not damage from a collision.

If that’s the case, it looks like a small, surface blister between the gelcoat and the chopped Matt layer of cloth. Chopped strand mat was laid over the gelcoat in the mould for the first layer, on a lot of boat brands. Chopped strand mat is difficult to saturate with resin, and (though it's hard to tell from just one picture) the picture appears to be chopped fiber mat that wasn’t completely wetted out. When the fibers aren’t completely saturated, they can absorb water through the gelcoat and local blisters form.

Blisters between the gelcoat and the mat the are almost always cosmetic, not a structural concern. So, it’s not a big worry.

In contrast, if the deeper layers of woven glass weren’t saturated with resin, then I would worry, That would be a structural concern.

Gelcoat isn’t waterproof, it’s very slightly permeable.

The usual repair for surface layer blisters is to grind the gelcoat and dry mat away until you to saturated mat. Then fill with waterproof two part marine putty, and then paint or gelcoat.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Thanks DrJudyB,
The blister is about the size of a quarter.
The two other blemishes to its left are about the size of a dime.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Thanks DrJudyB,
The blister is about the size of a quarter.
The two other blemishes to its left are about the size of a dime.
That size is consistent with cosmetic blisters.